Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A special treat at "World of Soap Themes"..  (Read 19146 times)

aaron sica

A special treat at "World of Soap Themes"..
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2004, 03:31:00 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 03:25 PM\']Marshall helped develop the show and was actually supposed to host the HS segment, but for unknown reasons, he was screwed out of it at the last minute by Orion (a la Bert Convy's pulling the rug out from under him some 6 yrs later w/3rd Degree).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]63817[/snapback]
[/quote]

And in a reply that will most likely steer this thread in another direction, he would have become a host whose show was canceled on a Friday ("Fantasy") and started a new show the following Monday. He surely wouldn't have been the first to accomplish such a feat, correct?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 03:31:16 PM by aaron sica »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2004, 03:53:37 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 03:31 PM\']And in a reply that will most likely steer this thread in another direction, he would have become a host whose show was canceled on a Friday ("Fantasy") and started a new show the following Monday. He surely wouldn't have been the first to accomplish such a feat, correct?
[snapback]63818[/snapback]
[/quote]

Off the top of my head-BC-TOAM-WS
Art James-BC-MMM
Tom Kennedy-50GS-NTT
Larry Blyden Personality-YPMO
Alex-WOO-HR
Jim Lange-Spin-off-GNT
and this is iffy-Henry Polic-Double Talk replaced by reruns of Henry's "Webster."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 03:55:29 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

dzinkin

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2004, 03:55:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 03:53 PM\']and this is iffy-Henry Polic-Double Talk replaced by reruns of Henry's "Webster."
[snapback]63821[/snapback]
[/quote]
Only in the minds of Casey Abell and Adam Wurtzel would "Webster" be considered a game show.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2004, 04:04:04 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 03:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 03:53 PM\']and this is iffy-Henry Polic-Double Talk replaced by reruns of Henry's "Webster."
[snapback]63821[/snapback]
[/quote]
Only in the minds of Casey Abell and Adam Wurtzel would "Webster" be considered a game show.
[snapback]63822[/snapback]
[/quote]
Agreed, but "Fantasy" was not billed as a game either.  The example was just to demonstrate an instance of same performer, different show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

dmota104

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2004, 04:53:47 PM »
OK, my two cents after viewing that ep...

The good: Gene Rayburn hosting the MG, an awesome theme we're still hearing at times when TPiR gives away a brand new car, an "ahead of its time" set with the huge light board displaying guests'/host's names and the "dual purpose" seating area for the celebs (still liked how the "rest of the set" came in from the right).

The bad: Jon Bauman hosting the HS (then as now, I question why they couldn't pick Peter to host...he was a guest on daily syndie MG and P+...so, he had *some* connection with the G/T folks), the HS questions in mult. choice (though with an emphasis on oddball trivia, the writing wasn't too bad), no pre-written lines and the fact what should've been a much faster paced game was slowed down by Jon (they played 15 questions by my count in this particular ep; well short of Merrill Heatter's mandate of 22 in the original HS years; 18 HS questions probably would've been realistic on MG-HSH).

Some jeers for the MG side: it was certainly tough for Gene to "have fun" with the panel since the seating arrangements would change day to day.  That and, since NBC wanted to use MG-HSH as a promotional vehicle for NBC shows (as evidenced by the "NBC daytime soaps" week...and the remark Gene made the "Marvin the medical student" question should've been saved for the cast of St. Elsewhere when they visited), many of the stars had never played MG before (or any game show for that matter).

As a fan of game shows, I still watched the original series despite the (obvious) flaws.  Had Peter been along for the ride, had the show had a permanent center square and had the show been a bit more comedic, we might be talking about a show that would've lasted for a few years instead of just 39 weeks.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 04:54:35 PM by dmota104 »

JMFabiano

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2004, 08:49:42 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 03:25 PM\']
Anyway, I don't think Bowser was horrible, but if Marshall was available, they obviously should have snapped him up.

Marshall helped develop the show and was actually supposed to host the HS segment, but for unknown reasons, he was screwed out of it at the last minute by Orion (a la Bert Convy's pulling the rug out from under him some 6 yrs later w/3rd Degree).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]63817[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ohhhhh...so it WAS politics?  Interesting, I wonder if anyone else out there could elaborate?  

And again, why Bowzer?  I didn't mind him either, but it was just so...unconventional.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

ITSBRY

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2004, 09:58:39 PM »
WOW indeed!  Thanks for my first exposure to MGHS hour!!!!

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

uncamark

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2004, 04:41:18 PM »
Ultimately, even if everything was fixed, NBC only considered "MG/HS Hour" a fill-in while the Dobsons were getting "Santa Barbara" ready to go.  Of course, it could've been moved to another time, but if the affiliates were pre-empting it (I never saw the last show because I was in the Milwaukee area that day and WTMJ was running the repeats of "TDG" and "TNG" in that slot), it was just doomed, no matter what.

gsnstooge

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2004, 05:15:30 PM »
If Goodson was NOT a perfectionist, then he probably would have allowwed bluffs and no-win-by default rule.  But Gene Wood and Bob Barker both said that Goodson was perfectionist and I'll bet that by 1980, Jon Bauman, Peter Marshall, and Gene Rayburn all thought so too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 05:34:15 PM by gsnstooge »

aaron sica

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2004, 05:16:45 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 05:15 PM\']If Goodson was NOT a perfectionist, then he probably would have allowwed bluffs and no-win-by default rule.  But Gene Wood and Bob Barker both said that Goodson was perfectionist and I'll bet that by December 31, 1979, Jon Bauman, Peter Marshall, and Gene Rayburn all thought so too.
[snapback]64004[/snapback]
[/quote]

You've lost me. What's so significant about 12/31/79?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2004, 06:32:33 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 03:16 PM\'][quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 05:15 PM\']If Goodson was NOT a perfectionist, then he probably would have allowwed bluffs and no-win-by default rule.  But Gene Wood and Bob Barker both said that Goodson was perfectionist and I'll bet that by December 31, 1979, Jon Bauman, Peter Marshall, and Gene Rayburn all thought so too.
[/quote]

[snapback]64005[/snapback]
[/quote]
Does it matter? The rest of the post, as usual, makes no freakin' sense whatsoever.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2004, 07:14:59 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 05:16 PM\'][quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 05:15 PM\']If Goodson was NOT a perfectionist, then he probably would have allowwed bluffs and no-win-by default rule.  But Gene Wood and Bob Barker both said that Goodson was perfectionist and I'll bet that by December 31, 1979, Jon Bauman, Peter Marshall, and Gene Rayburn all thought so too.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Actually, if I remember the Mark Goodson Biography on A&E correctly, Mark Goodson officially became a perfectionist on December 21st, 1979--not the 31st.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 07:15:19 PM by Don Howard »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2004, 08:40:31 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 08:08 PM\']I never saw that special.[/quote]

That's good to hear.

What are you even talking about?  Quoting the person or people you're replying to makes reading your posts easier to comprehend.

Just a suggestion.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2004, 08:52:42 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 06:40 PM\']Quoting the person or people you're replying to makes reading your posts easier to comprehend.
Just a suggestion.
[snapback]64040[/snapback]
[/quote]
In this case, I doubt even that would help.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gsnstooge

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2004, 09:37:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 07:14 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 05:16 PM\'][quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 05:15 PM\']If Goodson was NOT a perfectionist, then he probably would have allowwed bluffs and no-win-by default rule.  But Gene Wood and Bob Barker both said that Goodson was perfectionist and I'll bet that by December 31, 1979, Jon Bauman, Peter Marshall, and Gene Rayburn all thought so too.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Actually, if I remember the Mark Goodson Biography on A&E correctly, Mark Goodson officially became a perfectionist on December 21st, 1979--not the 31st.
[snapback]64021[/snapback]
[/quote]

I never saw that special.