Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Board Games  (Read 13434 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Board Games
« on: September 23, 2004, 03:23:16 AM »
With "Balderdash" currently on TV, and shows such as "Taboo" and "Scrabble" airing on television..what other basic board game formats could be derivated to make a good game show?

I feel that Scattergories could be done, when done properly; in addition I think "Fact or Crap", "Scene It", and "Pop Smarts" could all be done successfully.

On the other hand, I don't think the $200,000 Candy Land would last very long.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Craig Karlberg

Board Games
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 04:36:59 AM »
And for that matter, the $75,000 Chutes & Ladders won't work either.

Seriously, I think Remember When might make a good transition from board game to TV series if done right.  Also, Mad Gab is a good possibility.  Simply figure out what each of those gibberish phrases are really saying  Rather easy enough to format.

zachhoran

Board Games
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 07:45:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 02:23 AM\'] With "Balderdash" currently on TV, and shows such as "Taboo" and "Scrabble" airing on television..what other basic board game formats could be derivated to make a good game show?
 [/quote]
 25 Words or Less from Winning Moves, released in 1996. It has teams bidding on how few words they would need to get their teammates to guess five words, with a maximum bid of 25 words, hence the title. It's Password/Pyramid meets the Bid-a-Note round from NTT.

WhammyPower

Board Games
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 07:47:41 AM »
Well, let's dig into my vault and see what we have.....

Of the games in my collection that are NOT TV-based, I'd say the cream of the crop is Mad Gab.  It's a game where some mumbo-jumbo is printed on a card that sounds like a phrase.  For Example, "Hue Essay" would translate as "U.S.A."

DrBear

Board Games
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 07:54:15 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 05:47 AM\'] Well, let's dig into my vault and see what we have.....

Of the games in my collection that are NOT TV-based, I'd say the cream of the crop is Mad Gab.  It's a game where some mumbo-jumbo is printed on a card that sounds like a phrase.  For Example, "Hue Essay" would translate as "U.S.A." [/quote]
 Been done.
"Fractured Phrases" back in the 60s.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Clay Zambo

Board Games
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 08:20:26 AM »
There's a fairly entertaining dice game called "Sharpshooters" that I think could be adapted well.  (The game is out of print, I believe.)  And I've been trying to come up with a way to play "Cosmic Wimpout" on TV, but it'll take a more creative soul than I.  

With the popularity of Blackjack and Poker shows, how long before someone tries "Celebrity Uno"?
czambo@mac.com

MikeK

• Martha!
Board Games
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 08:30:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 08:20 AM\'] There's a fairly entertaining dice game called "Sharpshooters" that I think could be adapted well.  (The game is out of print, I believe.) [/quote]
 Sharp Shooters has been out of print for some time, at least 5 years.

I have a copy of that game.  If done properly, Sharp Shooters could be a fun TV game, especially if the home viewer could play along in some way.  The worst case scenario could result in something similar to Yahtzee, the TV show.

Jimmy Owen

Board Games
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 08:33:17 AM »
"Rack-O" with Brooke Burns.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

Board Games
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 08:36:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 07:33 AM\'] "Rack-O" with Brooke Burns. [/quote]
 We've Got Your NUmber played a bit like a shortened version of Rack-O, i.e. in that the players had to place four dice rolls from 2-12 in sequential order to win a round(the MB game Rack-O, which I believe predated the aforesaid 1975 pilot, had players being dealt 10 cards and had to rank 10 cards in their rack from high to low to win)

MikeK

• Martha!
Board Games
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 08:47:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 08:33 AM\'] "Rack-O" with Brooke Burns. [/quote]
That's a brilliant idea, Jimmy.  Both the show and the host have plastic racks.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 08:53:00 AM by hmtriplecrown »

The Ol' Guy

Board Games
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 08:58:29 AM »
The "We've Got Your Number" concept was also echoed in the Rodney Dangerfield board game "No Respect", where players had to build columns of number chips drawn from a pool in a descending or ascending order. There are many that would be interesting - back in my stupid days, I sent a format to Tim Walsh for his game TriBond. It's one of my personal favorites. I hear at least one pilot has been made, maybe two. Sure would like to know what they looked like. Since TriBond has been acquired by Mattel and they're aggressively marketing their game division, who knows? I was told that even at one time, a pilot for an UNO game show was made. What if that had worked? What would be next - $25,000 Flinch? Super Mille Bourne?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 09:01:23 AM by The Ol' Guy »

Jimmy Owen

Board Games
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 09:34:23 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 07:47 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 08:33 AM\'] "Rack-O" with Brooke Burns. [/quote]
That's a brilliant idea, Jimmy.  Both the show and the host have plastic racks. [/quote]
Thanks, Mike.  Beats watching Jack Barry fer shur.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 09:35:29 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

jrjgames

Board Games
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 11:47:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 03:36 AM\'] And for that matter, the $75,000 Chutes & Ladders won't work either. [/quote]
 Dont laugh, they tried that you know!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Board Games
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 11:54:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 05:20 AM\'] And I've been trying to come up with a way to play "Cosmic Wimpout" on TV, but it'll take a more creative soul than I. 
 [/quote]
Wimpout has that Press Your Luck feel to it that would indeed make a fine game show, but I think an even better candidate would be the Sid Sackson classic "Can't Stop." I've been trying to work up a format for that one for YEARS, and I can't think of anything that isn't buggy as hell, but there is a game show in there someplace, I just know it.

Celebrity Tichu Challenge would be the b0mb, too. :)

Paging Peter Sarrett.... :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 11:55:54 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamJ93

Board Games
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 11:56:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 07:20 AM\'] With the popularity of Blackjack and Poker shows, how long before someone tries "Celebrity Uno"? [/quote]
 I actually had an idea for an Uno game show awhile back, but it ended up just being way too complicated and boring, so I pitched it.  In my experience, most card games (besides playing cards) don't translate into game shows too well.

Getting back on topic...if someone is willing to build the gigantic set that would be required, the Game of LIFE would be interesting.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!