Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Premiere of ESPN Trivial Pursuit 9/27/04  (Read 7372 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Premiere of ESPN Trivial Pursuit 9/27/04
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 07:25:47 PM »
Craig; this one's just for you.

The 1983 All-Star Sports Edition of "Trivial Pursuit" had the following categories:
Nicknames
Baseball
Football
Hockey
Catch All
Numbers

I don't know what you're smoking to come up with the topics you did, but could you send me some?  Please?

Matt, for your rejoinder, I award you a free piece of the pie.  Which topic/flavor do you like?
Travis L. Eberle

dzinkin

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 09:33:22 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 10:10 AM\'] IIRC, wasn't there a hand-held ESPN Trivial Pursuit released c. 1998 or 99? I remember some sort of hand-held ESPN game involving trivia, I just don't remember whether it was related to TP. [/quote]
 In Karlberg's case, it was related to TP: For His Bunghole.

mmb5

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2004, 09:48:35 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 06:25 PM\'] The 1983 All-Star Sports Edition of "Trivial Pursuit" had the following categories:
Nicknames
Baseball
Football
Hockey
Catch All
Numbers
 [/quote]
 You have the Canadian version.  The American version had basketball instead of hockey.  The Canadian version also had a fair amount of CFL questions in the football part.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2004, 11:34:36 PM »
I blame whoever put that list on boardgamegeek.com, then; because I saw the Sports set at Goodwill today, but I already have one, and logically enough, replace hockey with baseball, there you are.

Weren't the creators of Trivial Pursuit Canadian?  Or am I just hallucinating?
Travis L. Eberle

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2004, 12:08:27 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 08:34 PM\'] Weren't the creators of Trivial Pursuit Canadian?  Or am I just hallucinating? [/quote]
 Nope.  You're not hallucinating.

Per the TP website, creators Chris Haney and Scott Abbott were Canadian newspaper men; Haney the photo editor for the Montreal Gazette and Abbott the sports editor for the Canadian Press.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

tvwxman

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2004, 08:24:21 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 06:25 PM\']

Matt, for your rejoinder, I award you a free piece of the pie.  Which topic/flavor do you like? [/quote]
 Mmmmm.....lemon meringue.....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2004, 10:01:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 06:18 PM\'] What I want to know is: "does this mean that John Ricci, Jr. managed to sell his Trivial Pursuit format to someone?"   Or did the ESPN crew develop this version independently? [/quote]
 If John had sold this, no doubt he would have told us about it.  But that does raise a good question, since at one point, John claimed to hold the Trivial Pursuit TV rights.  The logical assumption would be that he held an option for a certain time period which has since expired.

So I ask for the second time this week:  John, what's up?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jrjgames

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 03:12:38 AM »
Better late then never...I was working with the producer that got the rights to TP..thanks to me (clears throat)!

The format was very cool and had some neat elements and really great strategy...it got watered down a little in development, but that happens...come to find out the producer couldn't sell the format...he blamed my concept...later I found out people didn't want to work with him...the ESPN thing I ended up getting screwed out of the deal...

I talked to Roger Lodge about it when he was here in AC doing Price...it was just a very poor version in my opinion...it's a shame mine didn't see the light of day, I think you guys would have really liked it...well maybe one day.

This won't happen with Rubik's, I alone retain those rights and we're getting some great interest in it!!!

John

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 06:38:49 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Aug 13 2005, 12:12 AM\']This won't happen with Rubik's, I alone retain those rights and we're getting some great interest in it!!!
[/quote]
Yeah, "great interest" doesn't mean jack unless a check comes after it.

Good luck with that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 10:29:54 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 13 2005, 05:38 AM\'][quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Aug 13 2005, 12:12 AM\']This won't happen with Rubik's, I alone retain those rights and we're getting some great interest in it!!!
[/quote]
Yeah, "great interest" doesn't mean jack unless a check comes after it.

Good luck with that.
[snapback]94074[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well now, let's be suportive...John's a lot farther along selling his game show concepts than most of us.

And i'm not sucking up because i know he'll need a new young debonair cheaply-paid host.
-------------

Matt

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2005, 10:46:44 AM »
Ah, you mean me...the cheap debonaire host with sarcasm only Ray Combs could be proud of, yes...

Well, I wish JRJ more power to his game show entities.  I also fully realize the odds of them making it in the American syndicated market let alone network are slim.  Internationally, he might have something (i.e. Combination Lock at least got piloted...allbeit abroad most notably).  But, there are many avenues to pursue.  For instance, the game show I created, a game called Triple Play, is being worked out to be potentially piloted at a Maryland university by a good friend of mine.  For a format that was whipped up originally in a half hour and tweaked here and there subsequently there after, that's kinda humbling.

tvwxman

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2005, 11:37:47 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 13 2005, 09:46 AM\']Ah, you mean me...the cheap debonaire host with sarcasm only Ray Combs could be proud of, yes...

Well, I wish JRJ more power to his game show entities.  I also fully realize the odds of them making it in the American syndicated market let alone network are slim.  Internationally, he might have something (i.e. Combination Lock at least got piloted...allbeit abroad most notably).  But, there are many avenues to pursue.  For instance, the game show I created, a game called Triple Play, is being worked out to be potentially piloted at a Maryland university by a good friend of mine.  For a format that was whipped up originally in a half hour and tweaked here and there subsequently there after, that's kinda humbling.
[snapback]94085[/snapback]
[/quote]

Right, and when you move out of your parent's basement and devote a full time career to developing and working on game shows, too, let us know.

Now THAT's sarcasm!
-------------

Matt

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2005, 12:07:22 PM »
Hey, I take offense...we don't have a basement.

Well, did I say my sole thing in life was to develop a game show for television?  No.  I just figured, hey, I created a format...I've tested in out in internet gaming with friends and strangers alike who genuinely like the format.  One of said friends asked for my permission to use the format, and with the proper credit to me for its creation, we agreed upon it and there ya go.  It's more than some people can say they've done, but far less than most others.

The game show genre as we all know is on the way down.  People want talk shows and a genre that causes a certain hick game show reporter to come up with multisyllabic words to avoid the use of the term "reality" (btw, if you've ever seen him host, you know he's no Wink Martindale).  So, all I'm saying is that, in my case, it's something for funsies for me on the side.  If I get something out of it, all the better.  If I get dough from it, all the better.  It's not my sole focus in life.  I'm more worried personally about hosting other shows, emceeing events, sports announcing, and voiceover work.  And, in the same respect I'm sure John has other things as well of great interest should Rubik's Cube fall like the house of usher.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2005, 02:59:17 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 13 2005, 09:07 AM\']And, in the same respect I'm sure John has other things as well of great interest should Rubik's Cube fall like the house of usher.
[/quote]
...and if he can find someone insane enough to buy a format based on a quickie fad that died out twenty years ago, more power to him. Retro is in. It's not THAT in. Similarly, producers are insane. They're not THAT insane.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2005, 03:32:28 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 13 2005, 05:38 AM\']Yeah, "great interest" doesn't mean jack unless a check comes after it.
[/quote]
Hasn't he been claiming this "great interest" for over a year anyhow?
--Mark
Phil 4:13