Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Premiere of ESPN Trivial Pursuit 9/27/04  (Read 7370 times)

thgames65

Premiere of ESPN Trivial Pursuit 9/27/04
« on: September 19, 2004, 02:33:12 AM »
On the week of 9/27 ESPN and ESPN2 are scheduled to air the first 5 shows of "ESPN Trivial Pursuit", a sports and pop-culture based game with a tie-in to Trivial Pursuit.  Teams of two compete head-to-head and try to collect wedges by answering questions from 6 categories to proceed to the Money Round, where they can win up to $2500 by answering 6 more questions.  A team which is successful in answering all 6 questions in the Money Round will play another game as returning champions, and have the opportunity to go double-or-nothing on that game's earnings by answering a 7th question.

The show is set to air on ESPN at 4:30 ET/1:30 PT, and repeat on ESPN2 at 6:30ET/3:30 PT, Mon-Fri.  The network will then decide whether to pick up the show for a full season.

(Disclaimer:  I am not on one of the first 5 shows, but my teammate and I are in the contestant pool.  We have a good shot of going on the show if it is renewed for the full season.)

Tim H.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 03:37:15 AM »
Sounds like an ihtresting show Tim.  I have an idea as to what the 6 categories look like:

Sports Stadiums
Soorts Movies
The Speed of Sports
Classic Finishes
Autobiogtaphical Athletes
Sports Hodgepodge

Of course, they may or may not all be related to sports but then again, who kmows.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 10:00:46 AM »
I actually have never heard of this before, but I will give it a chance, because just about anything can be better than Stump The Schwab.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 10:01:47 AM »
I'm guessing Stuart Scott is the host?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

thgames65

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 12:26:52 PM »
Four wedges are sports-related, two are pop culture.  The host is Roger Lodge (host of Blind Date).

Tim H.

PS I will be away from Net access for the next week, so any other questions can't be answered until the show has already premiered.

dmota104

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 01:04:10 PM »
Thanks for the news.  Will be interested to see how this version of TP goes.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 10:10:28 AM »
IIRC, wasn't there a hand-held ESPN Trivial Pursuit released c. 1998 or 99? I remember some sort of hand-held ESPN game involving trivia, I just don't remember whether it was related to TP.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 11:45:37 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 07:10 AM\'] IIRC, wasn't there a hand-held ESPN Trivial Pursuit released c. 1998 or 99? I remember some sort of hand-held ESPN game involving trivia, I just don't remember whether it was related to TP. [/quote]
 Yeah, but it wasn't related to TP. It was "ESPN: Did You Know?", one of those little keychain games where the teeny LCD screen would scroll by the question, and then when you hit the single button on the device, the answer, then the next question, lather, rinse, repeat.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 12:19:13 PM »
Yeah, but i think Foster is correct, too...Wasn't there a larger console game (shaped like a football?) that offered mult choice questions ?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 12:39:27 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 09:19 AM\'] Yeah, but i think Foster is correct, too...Wasn't there a larger console game (shaped like a football?) that offered mult choice questions ? [/quote]
 Ah! Yes, yes there was, but THAT one was just Trivial Pursuit Sports Edition, and not affiliated with ESPN. :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 12:42:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 11:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 09:19 AM\'] Yeah, but i think Foster is correct, too...Wasn't there a larger console game (shaped like a football?) that offered mult choice questions ? [/quote]
Ah! Yes, yes there was, but THAT one was just Trivial Pursuit Sports Edition, and not affiliated with ESPN. :) [/quote]
 That must be what I was thinking of. Come to think of it, I do remember there being two separate games, the keychain thingy, and the larger console. Thanks to both.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 01:14:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 11:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 09:19 AM\'] Yeah, but i think Foster is correct, too...Wasn't there a larger console game (shaped like a football?) that offered mult choice questions ? [/quote]
Ah! Yes, yes there was, but THAT one was just Trivial Pursuit Sports Edition, and not affiliated with ESPN. :) [/quote]
 I sit corrected....

Wow, an honest conversation where incorrect information was shared, and then clarified correctly, without dumb guesswork from people who didn't know what they were talking about....iAnd, there were thank you's!

Oh, I see, AdamJK, iris, tmq800, and bandit bobby were nowhere near it.

Well now it makes sense!

Of course, see my next post.
-------------

Matt

tvwxman

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 01:20:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 02:37 AM\'] Sounds like an ihtresting show Tim.  I have an idea as to what the 6 categories look like:

Sports Stadiums
Soorts Movies
The Speed of Sports
Classic Finishes
Autobiogtaphical Athletes
Sports Hodgepodge

Of course, they may or may not all be related to sports but then again, who kmows. [/quote]

So , for those of you who can't put together Karlbergs blather, what he's saying is :

The questions might be sports-related. Or, they might not be sports-related.

Thanks for that insight , brainiac.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 01:22:01 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 06:18:23 PM »
What I want to know is: "does this mean that John Ricci, Jr. managed to sell his Trivial Pursuit format to someone?"   Or did the ESPN crew develop this version independently?
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 06:38:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 03:18 PM\'] What I want to know is: "does this mean that John Ricci, Jr. managed to sell his Trivial Pursuit format to someone?"   Or did the ESPN crew develop this version independently? [/quote]
 Yeah, and how's Rubik's Cube: The Game coming along? :)

(Coming soon: The All-New All-Star Pet Rock!)