Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frontgame success/bonus game advantages....  (Read 5383 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Frontgame success/bonus game advantages....
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2004, 08:27:53 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 17 2004, 05:02 PM\'] I do remember all those things, but I insist that this time, I really did read that 5 seconds square thing mentioned in Chris's post. I swear to God I did.  Nothing you guys tell me, is gonna make me say different. You may believe what you want, but regardless of what you guys think, I DID read the post. [/quote]
 But that isn't the point. You maintained that Classic Concentration did not fit the criteria we were discussing, when in fact it does by virtue of the "5 Bonus Car Seconds" spaces I mentioned in my post. You were using this, as I recall, to suggest that you were being picked on over a previous minimally relevant post.

What you're being told is, instead of making excuses, shut up and take your lumps already.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2004, 08:29:36 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 17 2004, 08:02 PM\'] I do remember all those things, but I insist that this time, I really did read that 5 seconds square thing mentioned in Chris's post. I swear to God I did.  Nothing you guys tell me, is gonna make me say different. You may believe what you want, but regardless of what you guys think, I DID read the post. [/quote]
 Then ya didn't understand it.

For your own sake, Adam, DROP IT.

starcade

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2004, 09:28:58 PM »
CC:  Probably at one time there was a card as well, but I do remember the time accumulating until the car was won.

And I'd like to forget "You Can't Win"..., erm.., BtB...

ChuckNet

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2004, 10:31:24 PM »
Betty reads yes/no question. Men secretly select an answer. Contestants alternate calling on men and guessing whether they said yes or no. A correct answer won their key.

And in order to help the contestants in voting, they were allowed to ask each celeb a question before doing so (ex: if the question they were voting on was "Are you a health food nut?", a contestant might ask one celeb "Do you eat a lot of junk food?").

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Don Howard

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2004, 05:18:20 PM »
To steer this discussion back to topic, another prime example would be the pre-Winner's Board and Winner's Big Money Game $ale of the Century. A big win could mean the difference between the fur coat or the luxury car.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2004, 07:13:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 18 2004, 02:18 PM\'] To steer this discussion back to topic, another prime example would be the pre-Winner's Board and Winner's Big Money Game $ale of the Century. A big win could mean the difference between the fur coat or the luxury car. [/quote]
Actually, Don, I think the Shopping Round is, at least to me, arguably the best example of front game success translating to end game advantage.  It's one of the big reasons I myself favor the Shopping Round over the Winner's Board and the WBMG.

Many will agree, I'd say.

Another example: Legends of the Hidden Temple's stunt round awarded "Pendants of Life" which protected the game winners against the Temple Guardians in the endgame.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 07:14:40 PM by Game Show Man »
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

starcade

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2004, 08:43:56 PM »
That's not end-game advantage (The Shopping Round), it determines the endgame situation.  It's not just advantage.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2004, 09:01:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Sep 18 2004, 04:13 PM\'] Actually, Don, I think the Shopping Round is, at least to me, arguably the best example of front game success translating to end game advantage.  It's one of the big reasons I myself favor the Shopping Round over the Winner's Board and the WBMG.

Many will agree, I'd say. [/quote]
 I will disagree, however, on the argument that the Shopping Round isn't even an end*game*.

Me? Give me the WBMG anyday. It may not be fully "related" to the show, but at least it's a game, which I find far more interesting (not to mention contestant-friendly) than seeing someone look at some ridiculous small prize and say, "I'll come back tomorrow."

uncamark

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2004, 02:42:12 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Sep 18 2004, 08:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Sep 18 2004, 04:13 PM\'] Actually, Don, I think the Shopping Round is, at least to me, arguably the best example of front game success translating to end game advantage.  It's one of the big reasons I myself favor the Shopping Round over the Winner's Board and the WBMG.

Many will agree, I'd say. [/quote]
I will disagree, however, on the argument that the Shopping Round isn't even an end*game*.

Me? Give me the WBMG anyday. It may not be fully "related" to the show, but at least it's a game, which I find far more interesting (not to mention contestant-friendly) than seeing someone look at some ridiculous small prize and say, "I'll come back tomorrow." [/quote]
 But it still goes against the basic premise of the show, which is that the contestants earn money in the quiz portion for the chance to "buy" luxury prizes at ridiculously low prices.

And perhaps not every contestant *wanted* a new Mercedes in their driveway or wanted to pay taxes on $100K worth of prizes and really wanted that European vacation instead.  And remember, they still had to play against two new opponents and win the next day's game for a chance at any bigger prizes--and not every contestant could be that confident.  There are several instances during the original format of the 80s version of contestants bailing out and taking one of the lesser prizes instead of ploughing on to the end of the road.  It's just what you consider important and how much you want to risk your winnings--and you don't start out by wheeling out the car on the first day of a championship and saying that they take it home right now.  You have to smart small and build up from there.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2004, 03:12:02 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 25 2004, 11:42 PM\']But it still goes against the basic premise of the show[/quote]
I can't be the only one here who watches game shows for the mental exercise, can I?

Several times, I've mentioned liking the WBMG, and every time, the only real retort has been that it doesn't "fit" with the show. My response is, so frickin' what? Instant Bargains were enough to keep the basic premise of buying prizes at ridiculously-low prices intact. With the shopping round in place, most often you had either a contestant turning down a relatively-small prize *coughtaxburdencough* (yawn), or a contstant bailing with a relatively-small prize (oh gee, it'll be at least another week before the end of the show gets interesting again!). The only time the end of the show was reasonably suspenseful was when someone was making, say, the decision of whether to take all the prizes or try to add the cash jackpot to it (in other words, not very often).

The WBMG, on the other hand, was at least somewhat interesting to watch (not to mention possible to play along with!). It actually made me want to watch the last game-related segment on every show, something that no other conclusion did.

So, given the choice between "fitting" and dull, or "out of place" and interesting, I'll take the latter every time. I'm surprised to learn that I may be alone in that decision.

ChuckNet

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2004, 09:34:38 PM »
Variety-wise, I think $otC was best in that dept while the Winner's Board format was in place...seemed like it was basically 50-50 between those contestants who were happy to leave w/8 prizes and $13K in cash, and those who just had to risk it all to try for the $50K.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")