Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frontgame success/bonus game advantages....  (Read 5384 times)

weaklink75

Frontgame success/bonus game advantages....
« on: September 16, 2004, 04:06:32 PM »
I was thinking recently about shows that offer advantages in the bonus round if you are lucky or successful in the front part of the game.

-"Whew" offered an extra second of time in the Gauntlet for every $100 earned in the main game.

-"Trump Card" offered 2 free numbers in the bonus round instead of one if you were able to win without having to use your Trump Card.

-"Go" offered 2 bonus rounds instead of one if a team won in a sweep.

-There was a 5 extra seconds card in "Classic Concentration".

-The Australian WOF offers an extra consonant for every $2000 won in the main game

-The Australian version of "Hot Streak" used front game winnings as a multiplier in the bonus round.

I know there are a lot of others, but do these type of advantages seem good for a bonus round? I mean, I don't know if I would have liked it if the Clark Pyramid gave a contestant 65 seconds instead of 60 if they got 21 points in the front game, but I guess it depends on the game and how difficult the bonus round is to win- I also don't know if it would have been good if they always had the Classic Concentration car round at 35 seconds.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 05:23:32 PM »
Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I'd swear the extra time in Classic Concentration came because the bonus round wasn't won the last time it was played, not because of anything that happened in the front game.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 05:38:39 PM »
I don't know if it was 5 seconds or not, but I am thinking there were also matching cards in the main game to add time to the car game as well, in addition to the time that was accumulated there by not winning it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 05:39:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Sep 16 2004, 02:23 PM\'] Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I'd swear the extra time in Classic Concentration came because the bonus round wasn't won the last time it was played, not because of anything that happened in the front game. [/quote]
 Combination of both. The time bank increased 5 seconds for each loss in the endgame (and I think reset to 35 seconds in the event of a new champion), but later in the show's run a "5 Bonus Car Seconds" prize was added to the board for the second game.

My guess is, if they didn't have a progressive time bank on CC, the base time would have been set at a flat 40 or 45 seconds, or the game itself changed, because the budget was based around very few people winning the endgame with the basetime, and becoming progressively easier. They would need to tweak the game to match that budget with a flat time bank.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

roadgeek

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 08:22:47 PM »
GSN's Lingo offers a bonus letter in the bonus round for every Lingo made during the front game.

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 08:33:14 PM »
The Money Machine maingame format of Eubanks Dream House had a Number Off section of it. Activated only in the second round, a couple who stopped the machine on that square would allow the couple who answered the question correctly an extra number removed from the lock in the Golden Doors round if they won the game. One couple won the Number Off square on their fifth day and ended up with a 50-50 chance of getting the right combination in the end and won.

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 09:23:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 16 2004, 04:39 PM\']

My guess is, if they didn't have a progressive time bank on CC, the base time would have been set at a flat 40 or 45 seconds, or the game itself changed, because the budget was based around very few people winning the endgame with the basetime, and becoming progressively easier. They would need to tweak the game to match that budget with a flat time bank. [/quote]
 Really obscure/hazy memory here.... (Cue the fuzzy wipe like they do on Letterman)....I remember like it was yesterday....

I remember reading an article in USA Today announcing the return of CC...in it, they mention a new bonus in which a contestant has to make 3 matches to win a car...

Could there have been an entirely diff bonus round originally? I think Chris is on to something here...

FWIW, I thought the bonus round was one of the best formatted ever....Start tough, award for mult wins by making it easier.

(Cue fuzzy wipe again to return to present time)

ms
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 09:27:53 PM »
During the first week of Scrabble, the money earned in the main game (which was not a flat $500 because this was when "the pot" system was in use) was tripled for whoever won the Scrabble Sprint round that followed.

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 09:32:06 PM »
No one has mentioned the Pitfall maingame, where winning a game with one or two points allowed for one pit pass in the bonus, three or four points allowed for two pit passes, and five points allowed for three pit passes.

The original Lingo had a system installed later in the run where how much money a team played for in the bonus round depended on how they had gotten their lingo in the maingame.

That Don Guy

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 09:53:54 PM »
I'm not sure if this counts as being "in the main game", but on the CBS version of Beat The Clock, the amount won in the Bonus Shuffle was multiplied by 10 to determine the amount in the final end game stunt.  (It's not quite the same as "that's like saying the Match Game Audience Match determines the amount in the Head-to-Head Match" as the BTC Bonus Shuffle involved both teams.

One I am pretty sure of; on Just Men!, if a contestant got all seven keys in the main game, they got two shots at the car instead of one.

-- Don

adamjk

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 10:15:50 PM »
On H2 during it's 5th season, in the bonus round, each time a contestant got back to it, without winning it, they would get a bad key removed for each time they had not won it previously. I believe the Davidson Hollywood Squares did pretty much the same thing with their bonus round, but am not sure. Can someone clarify?

Also, Spilt Second (original) did something similar with their bonus game I believe, taking away a wrong car each time a contestant did not win.

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 10:19:13 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 16 2004, 09:15 PM\'] On H2 during it's 5th season, in the bonus round, each time a contestant got back to it, without winning it, they would get a bad key removed for each time they had not won it previously. I believe the Davidson Hollywood Squares did pretty much the same thing with their bonus round, but am not sure. Can someone clarify?

Also, Spilt Second (original) did something similar with their bonus game I believe, taking away a wrong car each time a contestant did not win. [/quote]
All of the above are true.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 10:19:39 PM by zachhoran »

Fedya

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 10:34:12 PM »
Chris Lemon wrote:
My guess is, if they didn't have a progressive time bank on CC, the base time would have been set at a flat 40 or 45 seconds, or the game itself changed, because the budget was based around very few people winning the endgame with the basetime, and becoming progressively easier.

And all this time I thought the budget was based around giving away ridiculously cheap cars like the Subaru Justy.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 12:22:26 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 16 2004, 07:15 PM\'] On H2 during it's 5th season, in the bonus round, each time a contestant got back to it, without winning it, they would get a bad key removed for each time they had not won it previously. I believe the Davidson Hollywood Squares did pretty much the same thing with their bonus round, but am not sure. Can someone clarify?

Also, Spilt Second (original) did something similar with their bonus game I believe, taking away a wrong car each time a contestant did not win. [/quote]

Which doesn't have anything to do with the question at hand.  Winning a game of H2 two games to one didn't give you a better shot at the prize du jour, which is the theme here.

On another note, just how did "Just Men!" play?  It's one of just a few shows I haven't seen any rules for.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 12:23:00 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 01:42:22 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 16 2004, 09:22 PM\'] On another note, just how did "Just Men!" play?  It's one of just a few shows I haven't seen any rules for. [/quote]
 Betty reads yes/no question. Men secretly select an answer. Contestants alternate calling on men and guessing whether they said yes or no. A correct answer won their key.

Player with the most keys at the end of the game won the right to select one of their keys to try to start the car.

I THINK each round had each player making two picks, but there were three rounds and seven guys, and there was the aforementioned bonus for sweeping all seven keys, so I'm prolly missing something there. But that's the gist.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe