Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Jeopardy tapings  (Read 7151 times)

Skynet74

New Jeopardy tapings
« on: July 27, 2004, 01:35:54 PM »
I was very surprised to see that Ken Jennings made it to the end of the season. The reason that I say this is because all the articles that I read about him, made it sound like his championship had ended. I have to say that was some mighty fine trickery! :-)

Anyway...... My apologies if this has been answered before....... and additional apologies for just not looking it up on my own (I'm feeling lazy today), but when does the new season of Jeopardy start taping?

thanks,

John
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 01:57:51 PM by Skynet74 »

Ian Wallis

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 03:49:03 PM »
From what I've read, they start taping again August 9th.

However, it's been mentioned elsewhere that Ken was through with the show and at home now.  We all thought that might have meant he would have lost before the season finale.  He didn't.

It's been stated that a couple of weeks of shows for Season 21 have already been taped.  If they're regular shows (and not special Tournament shows, or anything)I'm wondering if it's possible Ken could have lost during those two weeks...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 07:04:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 02:49 PM\']

It's been stated that a couple of weeks of shows for Season 21 have already been taped.  If they're regular shows (and not special Tournament shows, or anything)I'm wondering if it's possible Ken could have lost during those two weeks... [/quote]
 Maybe, and Ken can tell us if he chooses to(but of course he isn't going to until after the shows air), in the wake of Ken's 38 game win, they decided to continue taping shows until Ken lost, so as not to break up the momentum.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 07:11:04 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 04:04 PM\'] Maybe, and Ken can tell us if he chooses to(but of course he isn't going to until after the shows air), in the wake of Ken's 38 game win, they decided to continue taping shows until Ken lost, so as not to break up the momentum. [/quote]
 Yeah, and maybe not. Consider the two options:

Continue taping: inconvenience the entire staff of the show, inconvenience the crew who might have had other gigs lined up to fill in the taping break, inconvenience Alex, who may have a had a well-deserved vacation planned.

Follow original taping schedule: inconvenience Ken. Who I imagine isn't feeling all THAT inconvenienced at a million-three.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 07:38:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 06:11 PM\']

Continue taping: inconvenience the entire staff of the show, inconvenience the crew who might have had other gigs lined up to fill in the taping break, inconvenience Alex, who may have a had a well-deserved vacation planned.

Follow original taping schedule: inconvenience Ken. Who I imagine isn't feeling all THAT inconvenienced at a million-three.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. [/quote]
 I forgot about Alex's pilgrimages to the heart of Africa.

Skynet74

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 07:50:46 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 06:38 PM\']
I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
I forgot about Alex's pilgrimages to the heart of Africa. [/quote]

And ...... He's got horses to go take care of. Leave the guy alone. :-)

John
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 07:51:06 PM by Skynet74 »

Steve McClellan

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 08:19:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 04:50 PM\'][Trebek]'s got horses to go take care of. Leave the guy alone. :-)[/quote]
Yeah, and he's got good taste in places to live; those horses are just 25 miles from me on the Central Coast. :)

Right in the heart of wine country, too. Hmmm......

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 09:02:44 PM »
And he's got a pickup truck to fall asleep behind the wheel of.

Skynet74

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 09:33:58 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 08:02 PM\'] And he's got a pickup truck to fall asleep behind the wheel of. [/quote]

LOL! Chris gets the funny post of the day award. That one actually made me laugh.

John

aaron sica

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 09:46:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 09:02 PM\'] And he's got a pickup truck to fall asleep behind the wheel of. [/quote]
 Alex Trebek meets treebark! Film at 11.

goongas

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 08:38:57 AM »
I don't find Alex's accident that he had funny at all.

SplitSecond

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 09:06:31 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 04:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 04:04 PM\'] Maybe, and Ken can tell us if he chooses to(but of course he isn't going to until after the shows air), in the wake of Ken's 38 game win, they decided to continue taping shows until Ken lost, so as not to break up the momentum. [/quote]

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. [/quote]
 Although you and I both agree with the idea that it's improbable for them to alter their tape schedule, I seriously doubt that the powers that be at Sony would be skittish about rearranging the taping schedule because they're afraid of upsetting the show staff's vacation plans.  Alex pitching a fit might hinder the process, since it's kinda tough to do a show like that without the talent, but it seems to me that if there was a compelling enough reason to rearrange the tape days, Alex would be a team player.

That said, what is a compelling enough reason to rearrange the tape schedule?  The only one I could think of is if the folks at Sony thought it would be profitable to add six more weeks of episodes to keep the Ken-induced ratings momentum going - easily achieved in three extra weeks of production.  

The only problem is that the ratings spike didn't happen until well after they ceased taping for the season - and it wouldn't have been a financially prudent move to approve the budget for 30 extra episodes on the hunch that the first batch of Ken episodes were going to do as well as they did.

So yes, it's definitely improbable that the Jeopardy production schedule would be altered because of Ken, but the motive is not merely respect for the show staff's vacation plans.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 09:37:16 AM »
There are other considerations, not the least of which is how far ahead the show is written, i.e. are there 30 shows' worth of material in the hopper? There's also Ken's availability.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 09:38:11 AM by chris319 »

SplitSecond

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 09:59:20 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 28 2004, 06:37 AM\'] There's also Ken's availability. [/quote]
 Not really - if any returning champion can't make a scheduled taping, their announced winnings are subject to forfeiture.

It would be a PR disaster for the Jeopardy! folk to actually exercise this clause, but it also sets a very dangerous precedent for them to start moving around tape days at the behest of a contestant.

inturnaround

New Jeopardy tapings
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 10:19:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 03:49 PM\'] It's been stated that a couple of weeks of shows for Season 21 have already been taped.  If they're regular shows (and not special Tournament shows, or anything)I'm wondering if it's possible Ken could have lost during those two weeks... [/quote]
 Well, in the thread about the Malcolm jackpot, Ken asked for a picture of Malcolm with the implication that he would try to draw the ol' fellow if he could.  (In the post, though, he only said he would be playing in season 21, though...)

But the betting man in me says he's still going back to tape for the long haul.
Joe Coughlin     
Human