Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What Kind of Jollies?  (Read 6919 times)

tvwxman

What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2004, 11:08:02 PM »
Lemme throw another 'side issue' into this...

Okay, let's say you're a big time game show nut, but you don't care for Ken Jennings's reign of terror....

However, Ken's success is responsible for a 50% ratings bump in Jep for many affiliates (mine included)....., and , fingers crossed, may breathe new life into the syndicated game show field.

I stand by my earlier prediction  that Ken's tremendous success may lead to producers thinking again about new game shows for next fall, some perhaps with unlimited , straddled winnings...

So, back to the original question : Can you not like Jeopardy these days, but love what it potentially may do for the genre? Or Chris, do you think that negative implications are around the corner?

Am I making sense? It's late. But in my own mind, I think I'm on to something here...
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2004, 11:32:19 PM »
Jeopardy! is a pillar of the game show genre which did very well in the ratings before Ken came along. Call me a pessimist, but I don't envision a packager/studio/syndicator taking a chance with a new format in hopes of emulating Jeopardy!'s success with Ken, nor do I see it happening with anything currently on the air or with a remake of something previously on the air (say, Tic Tac Dough or The $64,000 Question).

Not even $1 Million Mindreaders.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 11:34:25 PM by chris319 »

Kevin Prather

What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2004, 11:36:42 PM »
I still hope to god that you aren't offending Ken with all this. It would really suck if he stopped coming here because of you.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2004, 12:19:40 AM »
Person A creates and pitches Pricing Game A - let's call it "Flip Flop Prices". That game doesn't see the light of day. Person B comes along and creates the exacts same game 10 years later - let's call it "Switch?" (Pricing Game B). Pricing Game B makes it to air. Person B had no knowledge of Person A or Person A's pitch. Person A claims to several hundred people that he created Pricing Game B.

The first problem with this is that you've made an artificial distinction by referring to them as Pricing Game A and Pricing Game B. There is no distinction; they're the same game.

You weren't involved in the process so you don't know firsthand that B "had no knowledge" of A's pitch. The fact is that A's pitch was made in front of many of the same people who worked on TPIR when Switch? was introduced: Roger, Phil, Kathy, Stan, Bart, Paul, Gina. Any one of them was in a position to be person B and re-pitch the same idea years later. If you're going to claim that your information came from Roger, Phil, Kathy, Stan, Bart, Paul or Gina, I'll believe it when I hear it from their lips.

I don't know if you're aware that one of the most popular TPIR pricing games was in effect "ghost written" by one person within G-T so that it could be pitched by, and credit for it claimed by, someone else within G-T. You didn't know Frank Wayne but he once claimed to me that he "created" Password, which we all know was brought to Goodson by Bob Stewart who himself may have received the idea from Nat Ligerman via Monty Hall. And we've all heard that Goodson kept Bob Bach on a lifetime stipend in exchange for perpetuating the myth that Goodson himself created What's My Line? With all of this credit-stealing going on at least my claim to be the first person to pitch the concept for Switch? is legitimate and I stand by it.

Considering that two personal acquaintances of yours can both legitimately claim to have supplied pricing games to TPIR and you can't, your post is frankly redolent of envy and sour grapes.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 02:27:38 AM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2004, 12:20:17 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 08:36 PM\'] I still hope to god that you aren't offending Ken with all this. It would really suck if he stopped coming here because of you. [/quote]
 You've made your point, thank you.

Brandon Brooks

What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2004, 12:50:02 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 10:01 PM\'] Wrong again. The unlimited appearance rule is not Ken's doing and I do not fault him for it. I simply don't find him as likable a contestant as many of our hard-boiled fans here. I'm sure Ken is a wonderful guy in person but I'm not going to enumerate my issues with him as a contestant here. [/quote]
Well, you've mentioned Ken in not such a flattering light several times as of late, whether in jest or not.  So you must have something against him.  You've made it very clear that you don't like him as a contestant.  Whether that and your dislike for J! is blended, I don't know, but it seems like it is.

I don't really care that much anymore though.  Like I said, it's your party.  I'm done.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 01:11:34 AM by Brandon Brooks »

aaron sica

What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2004, 12:50:08 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 11:36 PM\'] I still hope to god that you aren't offending Ken with all this. It would really suck if he stopped coming here because of you. [/quote]
 I don't think Ken would stop coming here because of what Chris might think of him.

I would think that Ken realizes that not everyone is fond of his run, and while he might not like it, I would imagine he accepts it.

tvrandywest

What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2004, 01:05:41 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 07:36 PM\'] I still hope to god that you aren't offending Ken with all this. [/quote]
If he's offended, Ken can buy the whole friggin' thing and shut us down. That would certainly quiet thos  <click>
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 01:06:45 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2004, 02:11:55 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 10:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 07:36 PM\'] I still hope to god that you aren't offending Ken with all this. [/quote]
If he's offended, Ken can buy the whole friggin' thing and shut us down. That would certainly quiet thos  <click> [/quote]
On days like today I'd sell the whole damn board to the first person who gives me two cents for it.

I'm sure my little barbs will have Ken crying all the way to his tax accountant's office ;-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 02:32:30 AM by chris319 »

SplitSecond

What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2004, 10:55:42 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 02:14 PM\']
Person A creates and pitches Pricing Game A - let's call it "Flip Flop Prices". That game doesn't see the light of day. Person B comes along and creates the exacts same game 10 years later - let's call it "Switch?" (Pricing Game B). Pricing Game B makes it to air. Person B had no knowledge of Person A or Person A's pitch. Person A claims to several hundred people that he created Pricing Game B.

As an outcome person, Chris, you're merely interested in the fact that Pricing Game B is on the air. As a progression person, I have a serious problem with Person A claiming that he created Pricing Game B.
If this has any connection at all to watching other people win money on TV, it's lost on me. [/quote]
 It's merely an analogy explaining why you (or whatever staunch, tactless devil's advocate position you seem to be obsessed with lately) don't get why people are watching Ken.

How I arrived at it:

In that cursory little search to quantify how much you've been obsessing over Ken lately, I came across this fun little gem on your profile:

The Price Is Right (creator of "Switch?" game)

The reasons that you don't care about Jeopardy are similar to the reasons you don't care about the sheer inaccuracy of that statement, so I figured you would understand my opinion re: Jeopardy better if I used a more personal example.  Despite your denial, I seem to have made my point.

I'm just curious, though... how long has that been in your profile?  Was it there when you were threatening the people on this board about posting erroneous information?

Priceless.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
What Kind of Jollies?
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2004, 01:52:25 PM »
The reasons that you don't care about Jeopardy are similar to the reasons you don't care about the sheer inaccuracy of that statement, so I figured you would understand my opinion re: Jeopardy better if I used a more personal example.
Huh? What kind of nonsense is that?

I would say the one obsessing here is Caleb Nelson, over my legitimate claim to being the original creator of the TPIR game now known as Switch? Yes, the idea was revisited some time after I pitched it, but that doesn't change the fact that the idea was originally pitched by me. My, those grapes are sour.

Time to give it a rest now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 04:56:12 PM by chris319 »