Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Studio 7  (Read 5753 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Studio 7
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 12:35:06 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 06:10 AM\'] Yep, it reeked [/quote]
 My sentiments exactly. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Peter Sarrett

Studio 7
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 01:06:40 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 03:44 AM\'] [quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 12:26 AM\'] Jane, you ignorant slut.

I liked it. [/quote]
What, did Michael Davies cut you a check?

Oh, wait. [/quote]
That made me laugh out loud.

A game needn't be original to be entertaining.  I was entertained.  The show was far from perfect, and could use some streamlining-- especially that horrid memorization round.

"And now, our contestants will recite a lengthy list you at home have never seen.  Not once, but three times.  Play along at home, won't you?"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 01:06:56 PM by Peter Sarrett »

clemon79

Studio 7
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 01:08:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 10:06 AM\'] "And now, our contestants will recite a lengthy list you at home have never seen.  Not once, but three times.  Play along at home, won't you?" [/quote]
 Kicker was, they KNEW it wasn't interesting television, so they edited the other two attempts to the point where they screwed up.

mctoyboy

Studio 7
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2004, 01:23:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 12:07 AM\'] What did I think of this new show?

"I would like to answer the question please."

I was bored to tears,  it was too slow paced. It was like watching golf.

Tim :-) [/quote]
 Yup....=)
j

TimK2003

Studio 7
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2004, 05:59:43 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 12:22 AM\'] [quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 10:07 PM\'] "I would like to answer the question please."
 [/quote]
Yeah, here's another hint for you budding format developers:

CATCHPHRASES FOR THE SAKE OF CATCHPHRASES ARE WAY LAME.

Picked up a little steam in the last two rounds. The "pods" would mean something if they were an isolation system, or pretty much anything but a tube for them to sit in. [/quote]
 Perhaps they could "retrofit" the pods with pneumatic tubes, and 'whisk' the losers away, like those canisters at the bank auto-teller lines?  

Actually, they said that another ep will be airing on Sunday night.  When I saw the promo for it at the end of the show, I wasn't sure if it was to be a rerun of the premiere ep or are they 2 new eps. a week?

Can someone clarify this?  Thanx.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Studio 7
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2004, 08:36:39 AM »
Sunday is a rerun.
@lambertman

jrjgames

Studio 7
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2004, 12:24:37 PM »
This show has problems..

1) Is it Real World or WWTBAM? I dont think they know.  There is not enough of the reality part (please I dont want more), but we have no bonds with these people.  So when they decide to screw them over, who cares.

2) The drama was SO forced!  It's basically an eimilation Q&A nothing new here.

3) The elimination made no sense to me.  You give them a topic and they spend 1 week learning it, first person comes up, answers wrong, and that round is over. Totally made that whole round pointless.

4) The set could have been used better.  Those PODS were basically seats.  Why have them come out and go into headphones?  Just make them all isolation booths, could have been cooler.

5) The only interesting part of the show, and I mean interesting PREMISE is the help me part.  Which could be better.  All players should have to answer the ques, then if SARAH needs help from MARK, it would have been cool to see a pic of MARK with the CORRECT ANSWER ON THE SCREEN and then when he says, "I HAVE NO IDEA", we as viewers can say, wow what an ass HE KNEW IT.  They way it is now, we have no idea if they are BS'in or not, so who cares?!

6) The sound effects! WTF? What show uses a CLICK for right and a UM BELL for wrong?!

7) HMMM....The tie in to 7, gee too bad they didnt use that more! ;)

I didn't see anything new or original here in my opinion.

Sorry guys!

John

P.S. WHO DOESNT KNOW BARKER HOSTS PIR? EVEN IF YOU ARE 18 YEARS OLD...HONESTLY!

Jimmy Owen

Studio 7
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2004, 12:40:28 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 11:24 AM\']

P.S. WHO DOESNT KNOW BARKER HOSTS PIR? EVEN IF YOU ARE 18 YEARS OLD...HONESTLY! [/quote]
 Someone born in 1986 might have only watched cable in their lifetime.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

Studio 7
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2004, 02:19:32 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 09:24 AM\'] This show has problems.. [/quote]
 While I agree with your basic point that the show is a poor effort that could be improved, let me point out some things that were pointed out to me when I voiced similar concerns:
3) The elimination made no sense to me. You give them a topic and they spend 1 week learning it, first person comes up, answers wrong, and that round is over. Totally made that whole round pointless.
I suspect that the questions in this round are of an increasing level of difficulty, and that they don't really expect their players to be so foolish as to flame out on the first question like that girlie did.
4) The set could have been used better.  Those PODS were basically seats.  Why have them come out and go into headphones?  Just make them all isolation booths, could have been cooler.
They can't be booths 24/7, because part of the earlier rounds is observing what other people do on their turns to help decide who to chop when it comes to that. But there are better ways to integrate the isolation into the round when it's needed.
and then when he says, "I HAVE NO IDEA", we as viewers can say, wow what an ass HE KNEW IT.  They way it is now, we have no idea if they are BS'in or not, so who cares?!
But we do! IIRC, after each Call For Help, they show an interstitial with the person whose help was requested, and that person explained their thought process and whether they knew the answer and/or were deliberately misleading.
6) The sound effects! WTF? What show uses a CLICK for right and a UM BELL for wrong?!
That would be the National Spelling Bee, Bob, which you'll find if you take a second look is pretty clearly the concept on which the game feel and format is designed.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Studio 7
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2004, 02:55:08 PM »
Here's how a clever computer programmer could make a zillion dollars in the tee-vee bidness: write a program called DERIV-A-GAME.

Go through EOTVGS and put a format description of every game/quiz/reality show ever done into a database. The program would have a list of every show in the database with a checkbox beside the name of each show. To create a new derivative, simply check the boxes next to the shows containing the elements you want in your derivative. The program then prints out a treatment of your new derivative. You might want to change the title the progam comes up with, in the case of Studio 7 probably something like "The Weakest Stein's Squares".

Just think of the fun you could have with the titles alone:

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire + Bumper Stumpers = "Who Wants To Be A Bumper?"

Name That Tune + Hot Potato = "Name That Potato"

To Tell the Truth + Win Ben Stein's Money + Showoffs = "To Tell Ben Stein Off"

It Could Be You + People Are Funny = "It Could Be Funny"

Beat the Clock + Do You Trust Your Wife? = "Beat Your ..." oh, let's not go there

Beat the Clock + Swap Meet = say, was there ever a show or pilot named Swap Meet?

The possibilities are endless.

(I get 10% of that zillion dollars.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 03:00:41 PM by chris319 »

Clay Zambo

Studio 7
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2004, 02:58:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 11:34 AM\'] It's PAINFULLY obvious that "I'd like to answer..." is trying to capitalize on that. A player on the mic (yo yo, one two) has two choices when they're at bat: they either answer or they ask for help. There is no "game need" to inform anyone that they will be answering rather than seeking help, they can just DO IT.
 [/quote]
 Especially not after one has already asked for help from another player.

It's just nutty.
czambo@mac.com

Clay Zambo

Studio 7
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2004, 03:03:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 02:26 AM\'] "The pool of the seven" and "I'd like to answer the question" should both be jettisoned, however. [/quote]
 I think the real problem is that the pool isn't deep enough.

No, stay with me.

The NY Times critic--and when's the last time you saw a game show reviewed in the Times?--thought it provided the possibility for embarassment if a player misstepped on the way out of his pod.  But it's just a wading pool.  You'd barely make a splash.  Gimme something with a deep end.  Or make 'em play the memorization challenge while treading water...  Or if you need help from a player a second time, you've gotta dive for your ring.

Oh, please, can't we have Password back?
czambo@mac.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Studio 7
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2004, 03:11:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 12:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 02:26 AM\'] "The pool of the seven" and "I'd like to answer the question" should both be jettisoned, however. [/quote]
I think the real problem is that the pool isn't deep enough.

No, stay with me.

The NY Times critic--and when's the last time you saw a game show reviewed in the Times?--thought it provided the possibility for embarassment if a player misstepped on the way out of his pod.  But it's just a wading pool.  You'd barely make a splash.  Gimme something with a deep end.  Or make 'em play the memorization challenge while treading water...  Or if you need help from a player a second time, you've gotta dive for your ring.

Oh, please, can't we have Password back? [/quote]
Wait a minute. I didn't see this show. A pool? They have a pool? One with water in it? There is a game show with a pool in it? A question and answer game show? With a POOL?

Forget Password, let's get some cardboard cutouts of Bennett, Dorothy, Arlene and John and prop them up behind some desks.

These shows are starting to make 100 Grand and You're In the Picture sound like masterpieces.

A pool.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 03:19:46 PM by chris319 »

dickoon

Studio 7
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2004, 05:34:04 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 08:11 PM\'] A pool. [/quote]
 If I didn't know you better, I'd call you a grumpy old man with no love for game shows any more, but happily I do know you better and so wouldn't do that; just as happily there need be no "canning" of "ass" around here :-)

There was a gently-paced but relatively complex British word game, Turnabout, which had a very jolly little circular pool between the host behind his podium and the three contestants behind theirs. It ran for eight series. The pool was purely decorative, rippling merrily and being simply the right shape and size for the otherwise blank part of the set they had. There were occasional wider shots of the set with contestants, host, pool and game board all in view.

I suspect the pool may have provided excellent Feng Shui
Chris

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Studio 7
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2004, 06:48:23 PM »
It seemed like eevry time the voiceover whispered "Help Me", all of a sudden I was waking up and it was Thursday morning all over again.
@lambertman