Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Brit's take on Jeopardy and Wheel  (Read 5108 times)

Brig Bother

A Brit's take on Jeopardy and Wheel
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2004, 03:30:16 PM »
Oh yes, and a new series of Celebrities Under Pressure (a reversion of The Moment of Truth, which I gather was called The Big Moment over your side of the pond) started on Saturday as well.

uncamark

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2004, 03:48:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 02:30 PM\']Oh yes, and a new series of Celebrities Under Pressure (a reversion of The Moment of Truth, which I gather was called The Big Moment over your side of the pond) started on Saturday as well.[/quote]
Well, "*Your* Big Moment," but whatever it was, it didn't last long.  If we'd found our own Cilla instead of Brad Sherwood...  :)

adamjk

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2004, 04:47:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 12:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 04:53 PM\']
I can think of two good examples right of the bat in Hollywood Squares and The Price is Right.  We like to clap and holler.
 [/quote]
Never seen Hollywood Squares properly.

It doesn't bother me on TPIR, possibly because it's kind of expected and our version was the same. It's celebration in gameshow form really.

I have no problem with clapping and hollering, but I can't see why the Wheel is that exciting. [/quote]
I can tell you why. Lots of money. More then Aussie offers. I mean there are some really big spaces on our Wheel. You got $2500, $3500, and $5000 spaces, not all together of course. Also, in round 1, there is a $10,000 space, wedged in between two small bankrupts. They are all on the same space mind you.  Not to mention a possible $100,000 win in the bonus round.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 05:36:32 PM by adamjk »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2004, 05:30:54 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 01:22 PM\'] I take it you haven't seen Richard Karn on "Family Feud." I'm STILL trying to figure out what's so exciting about doubling the points...not dollars, POINTS. :-) [/quote]
 And when they triple those points... all hell breaks loose on the set.

Brandon Brooks

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2004, 05:51:53 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 01:49 PM\'] In recent years, the show's made a conscious effort to be less academic in nature than it had been in the past, in an attempt to gain younger viewers (among other reasons).  Ten years ago, you would never see movie categories in Double Jeopardy! unless it was Foreign Films, music categories unless it was Classical Composers (or maybe Jazz) and TV categories not at all. [/quote]
 And like Wheel, J! has also started doing little plugs, with their categories. I know a couple of cable channels have received their own category (CNN, Nick, The History Channel), but there's also been a couple of actual businesses such as The New York Times and Ford Motors (celebrating Ford's Centennial). In all cases, the company's logo appears in the respective screen.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2004, 05:27:35 PM »
Bumping this because I just saw an entire episode of UK Wheel on a website...and here are my thoughts...

-Jenny Powell is HOT. And she actually gets to talk! (NOTE: Vanna has had more to say in the last few years, but nothing like Jenny)

- The set (2000 or so) is nice, the wheel is colorful, and I like the puzzle on it's turntable. The board setup is very similar to how it's done now (you know-with the borders) I did notice tho, it's very barren.

- A male model? Only in Britain! (And Australia)

-Things are definately done on the cheap side there- the top prize (2000 Pounds, about $3200 +/- american) and the shopping part had CD's, makeup/perfume kits, and microwaves. Are we one of the only countries that play for cash and big prizes?

-The opening was funny-cause it was the US 1998-1999 opening !(with the over head shot of the logo and the doors opening to the set).
insert signature here

adamjk

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2004, 05:28:58 PM »
Where did you find it?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2004, 05:30:20 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 05:27 PM\'] Bumping this because I just saw an entire episode of UK Wheel on a website... [/quote]
 If you don't mind me asking, what's the URL of this episode's location?  I wanna see how fast this DSL downloads. :-)

Brig Bother

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2004, 05:51:21 PM »
Oh right, that was a daily show you've seen there.

Up until a few years ago there was a weekly episode with slightly better puzzle solving prizes and a top prize of £20,000 for the end game.

Things you might have noticed:

-No live audience, no atmosphere.
-You get to keep whatever points you spin whether you solve the puzzle or not. This wasn't always the case.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2004, 07:29:50 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 02:27 PM\'] A male model? Only in Britain! (And Australia) [/quote]
 ...and on $ale of the Century...

zachhoran

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2004, 07:37:02 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 06:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 02:27 PM\'] A male model? Only in Britain! (And Australia) [/quote]
...and on $ale of the Century... [/quote]
 Dan Dougherty modeled some of the prizes on Caesar's Challenge too.

mhtnyc

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2004, 07:04:20 AM »
Brig Bother:

You say you're in the UK...How are you getting these shows, off a dish? I'm in Germany, and I'd love to be able to see J! again...it's been 2 years since I've seen it (that was when I moved from the US).

TravisP

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2004, 05:43:24 PM »
There are now two ways us Brit folk can now see WOF and J!

1) The standard tape trade route, it might be a week or two delay but when you get the episodes its worth it.

2) There is now a live streaming feed via the internet for those high speed/broadband users.

mms://199.218.4.68/10tvlive

Its being streamed at 152K and its from the east coast so it would be 1am-2am for J! & WOF to be shown in your area, its a bonus for US folk if they miss either show if their market is aired earlier in the morning.

From Brig Bother

Re: Aussie Wheel

I haven't seen the modern relaunched version yet.

I have and its gone all Americanised with the introduction of the eletronic board and using the same game format even including those Toss-Up rounds but the audience, credits and logo are the same while Sophie Faulkner remains as co-host but there is a new host called Steve Omecke who is completely crap, however saying that I've only seen his early shows in the first couple of weeks after the relaunch.

adamjk

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2004, 05:53:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 04:43 PM\']
From Brig Bother

Re: Aussie Wheel

I haven't seen the modern relaunched version yet.

I have and its gone all Americanised with the introduction of the eletronic board and using the same game format even including those Toss-Up rounds but the audience, credits and logo are the same while Sophie Faulkner remains as co-host but there is a new host called Steve Omecke who is completely crap, however saying that I've only seen his early shows in the first couple of weeks after the relaunch. [/quote]
Does this mean, that the following things have changed:

the contestants are only given credit for the dollar amount spun no matter how many of one letter they have in the puzzle

the extremely complicated bonus puzzle format

scores carrying over from round to round

points being played for instead of cash, and those points are used to go shopping

among other oddities that Aussie Wheel had compared to ours. If they have changed these, then all I can say is: "It's about time!"
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 05:54:29 PM by adamjk »