Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: As Ken Jennings' reign of terror continues...  (Read 5077 times)

johnnya2k3

As Ken Jennings' reign of terror continues...
« on: July 19, 2004, 07:43:19 PM »
In 2001, Kevin Olmstead won $2,180,000 on Millionaire (thanks to a progressive jackpot), making him the all-time game show winner.

But with Ken Jennings still going strong on Jeopardy! lately as he's already into the million-dollar mark, Olmstead's three-year reign may be coming to an end. And call me crazy, but I'm slowly starting to get sick of him already because the other two contestants never got any breaks.

Anyway, Jennings will be on Leno later this week, and J! might be running promos about how "unstoppable" he is with quick montages of him reaching $300,000, $400,000, $500,000, etc. up to $1 million.

As far as Olmstead goes? He better frame his souvenir $2.18 million check immediately, because as soon as Ken breaks his record, it's off to eBay!

(BTW, where's Dave Legler, who had the record with $1.765 million before Olmstead?)

Jonathan Allen

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 08:00:36 PM »
How are ET and "Access Hollywood" handling one of the biggest entertainment stories of the year?  I'll admit I haven't been watching them since Ken started.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 08:30:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 07:00 PM\'] How are ET and "Access Hollywood" handling one of the biggest entertainment stories of the year?  I'll admit I haven't been watching them since Ken started. [/quote]
 I haven't been watching them since before Ken started, either.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 08:56:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 08:00 PM\'] How are ET and "Access Hollywood" handling one of the biggest entertainment stories of the year?  I'll admit I haven't been watching them since Ken started. [/quote]
 I see ET fairly regularly, and I don't think I've seen any coverage of Ken.  That doesn't surprise me, since the story doesn't really fit their "showbiz" focus, and you have to remember that in many markets, Jeopardy and ET are on opposite each other.  Why give a plug to the direct competiton?

As for Dr. Olmstead being "nervous" or wanting to get rid of a treasured souvenir if and when Ken passes him on the money list, that's just stupid.  And I say that knowing full well that as a moderator, I should choose my words carefully.  Just stupid.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davemackey

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 08:59:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 08:56 PM\'] I see ET fairly regularly, and I don't think I've seen any coverage of Ken.  That doesn't surprise me, since the story doesn't really fit their "showbiz" focus, [/quote]
 Then how do we explain ET's obsession with such non-showbiz type stories as the 58-lb. news reporter and the Laci Peterson murder? That's as far from showbiz as you can get, but somehow it falls under ET's twisted definition of "entertainment".

Luxo1

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 09:32:33 PM »
I have two questions:

Alex keeps talking about Ken **possibly** breaking the all-time Jeopardy record. Can someone tell me how that record was accomplished.....there must have been some million dollar tournament somewhere. If that's how it was done, it is like comparing Apples to Oranges....

Second question: Is there a Website where I can download the current (03-04) theme to Jeopardy?

Thanks....

----Lux

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 09:35:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Luxo1\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 08:32 PM\'] I have two questions:

Alex keeps talking about Ken **possibly** breaking the all-time Jeopardy record. Can someone tell me how that record was accomplished.....there must have been some million dollar tournament somewhere. If that's how it was done, it is like comparing Apples to Oranges....

[/quote]
 Brad Rutter's all time total of over $1.2M(which includes the cars he won for being a five time undefeated champion) includes $1 Million he won in the May 2002 special Million DOllar Masters TOurnament.

MCArroyo1

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 09:38:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Luxo1\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 08:32 PM\'] Alex keeps talking about Ken **possibly** breaking the all-time Jeopardy record. Can someone tell me how that record was accomplished.....there must have been some million dollar tournament somewhere. If that's how it was done, it is like comparing Apples to Oranges.... [/quote]
Wow.  I guess you haven't visited this board too frequently in the past.

In Spring 2002, Jeopardy! aired a special "Million Dollar Masters" tournament taped in NYC where the best and the brightest (or at least the most memorable) 15 contestants of the Trebek era returned to play again.  The winner at the end of the tournament received a check for a million dollars.  That man, Brad Rutter, holds the record that Alex refers to.

Yes, it is apples and oranges, but still, Jeopardy! can't technically call Ken the richest contestant YET because of Rutter (who, by the way, won about $175K or so plus a car as a regular contestant).

EDIT: Yeah, what Zach said.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 09:38:55 PM by MCArroyo1 »

rmfromfla

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 09:46:49 PM »
Once again,  Brad Rutter's winnings:

MDM     $1,000,000
                                    TOC          100,000
                             5x champ           55,102
                   Total Winnings        $1,202,787   (figure on last Friday's
                                                                    CBS  Early Show)

adamjk

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 09:48:50 PM »
Was he on before or after they doubled the dollars?

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 09:53:34 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 08:48 PM\'] Was he on before or after they doubled the dollars? [/quote]
 Before.

Brandon Brooks

mmb5

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 11:26:51 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 06:43 PM\'] In 2001, Kevin Olmstead won $2,180,000 on Millionaire (thanks to a progressive jackpot), making him the all-time game show winner.

But with Ken Jennings still going strong on Jeopardy! lately as he's already into the million-dollar mark, Olmstead's three-year reign may be coming to an end. And call me crazy, but I'm slowly starting to get sick of him already because the other two contestants never got any breaks.

Anyway, Jennings will be on Leno later this week, and J! might be running promos about how "unstoppable" he is with quick montages of him reaching $300,000, $400,000, $500,000, etc. up to $1 million.

As far as Olmstead goes? He better frame his souvenir $2.18 million check immediately, because as soon as Ken breaks his record, it's off to eBay!

(BTW, where's Dave Legler, who had the record with $1.765 million before Olmstead?)

Jonathan Allen [/quote]
 I can tell you on pretty good account that Kevin is rooting for Ken.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 11:31:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 04:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 08:00 PM\'] How are ET and "Access Hollywood" handling one of the biggest entertainment stories of the year?  I'll admit I haven't been watching them since Ken started. [/quote]
I see ET fairly regularly, and I don't think I've seen any coverage of Ken.  That doesn't surprise me, since the story doesn't really fit their "showbiz" focus, and you have to remember that in many markets, Jeopardy and ET are on opposite each other.  Why give a plug to the direct competiton?

As for Dr. Olmstead being "nervous" or wanting to get rid of a treasured souvenir if and when Ken passes him on the money list, that's just stupid.  And I say that knowing full well that as a moderator, I should choose my words carefully.  Just stupid. [/quote]
 Well, alright, Olmstead will keep his souvenir check no matter what happens.

As for media coverage of Ken lately? Other than the "Person of the Week" honor on ABC News last week as well as his "CBS Early Show" appearance, up north in Canada CBC's "The National" (their main newscast) also had a story on him. "People" magazine is yet to come for him.

Oh, and Matt, the CBS station in Seattle (KIRO) show ET and Access back-to-back at 7:00, opposite Wheel and Jeopardy! on KOMO. Guess who wins at 7:30.

Jonathan Allen

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 11:51:08 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 06:43 PM\'] And call me crazy, but I'm slowly starting to get sick of him already because the other two contestants never got any breaks.
 [/quote]
 Right; he should "let" the other two players have a chance.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tommycharles

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 12:52:06 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 06:43 PM\'] J! might be running promos about how "unstoppable" he is with quick montages of him reaching $300,000, $400,000, $500,000, etc. up to $1 million.
 [/quote]
 Is that just a guess, or is there a source involved here?