Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How likely are we to see Ken Jennings on  (Read 2783 times)

Fedya

How likely are we to see Ken Jennings on
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 10:45:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 09:05 PM\'] But on further reflection: Could ABC afford to have a lifeline who was completely trustworthy? [/quote]
 Perhaps Leszek can answer that one for us.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 05:21:06 AM »
I doubt if Ken gets on Super Millionaire(if it ever comes back) but more likely an appearance on Grand Slam is a definitely possibility if Micheal Davies can bring that show to production next year.

dscungio

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 10:26:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 10 2004, 04:21 AM\'] I doubt if Ken gets on Super Millionaire(if it ever comes back) but more likely an appearance on Grand Slam is a definitely possibility if Micheal Davies can bring that show to production next year. [/quote]
 That's what I said!

-Dean

ChuckNet

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 12:36:04 PM »
I suspect the J! people would probably object if he appeared on Super Millionaire in between his last regular J! appearance and the Tournament of Champions.

When is J!'s next ToC, anyway? And the way Ken's going, I wouldn't be surprised to see him win if they do another $1M Masters tourney.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

leszekp

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 01:07:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 09:45 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 09:05 PM\'] But on further reflection: Could ABC afford to have a lifeline who was completely trustworthy? [/quote]
Perhaps Leszek can answer that one for us.  :-)[/quote]
Uhhh ... I'm 4 for 4 as a PAF on syndi WWTBAM, but I haven't seen a question above $32K, for which I am grateful; they get a lot tougher above that level. And on Super M, there's a quantum leap in difficulty from $100K to $500K; if I had been a PAF on those questions, my record might have been spotty.

And for those who think that buzzer speed translates directly into Fastest Finger proficiency, I am living proof that's not necessarily the case (as is Bruce Simmons, the guy who placed second to me in the 1992 TOC, and who also appeared on WWTBAM without making it into the Hot Seat). I'm not saying that Ken wouldn't do well at Fastest Finger, just that you can't necessarily draw that conclusion based on his J! buzzer skills.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 10:12:23 PM by leszekp »

adamjk

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2004, 01:24:09 PM »
When is J!'s next ToC, anyway? And the way Ken's going, I wouldn't be surprised to see him win if they do another $1M Masters tourney.

The next TOC is at the beginning of next season is it not?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 01:24:17 PM by adamjk »

uncamark

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2004, 06:53:15 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jul 10 2004, 12:24 PM\']

The next TOC is at the beginning of next season is it not?[/quote]
They generally are always in sweeps periods.  I would guess that the next TOC would be in the November sweeps--if they have 13 people who've won at least three games this season (do you really want to see a two-time champ in the TOC?).

And I believe that, like "TPIR," "J!" tapes shows for the next season before their summer break, so they may already have the first eight weeks of the new season already in the can (you may've noticed that set changes and *some* rule changes, like the money doubling, seem to occur in November in recent years rather than the beginning of the season--seems to me that they would do the set rebuild during the summer break and have it ready in time for when they start up contestant auditions).

(A reminder that the "J!" set is as permanent as any television show set is in its studio on the Sony lot and that contestant auditions are held in the studio on the days they don't tape.)

starcade

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2004, 10:37:01 PM »
As a contestant, he'd have to wait a year since the last appearance on J!...

As a "Three Wise Men" portion, I think that's a _VERY LIKELY_ scenario, especially if he continues to win -- but not so far that he'd still be on J! concurrently...

Steve McClellan

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2004, 11:25:20 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 07:37 PM\']As a contestant, he'd have to wait a year since the last appearance on J!...[/quote]
We've been through this before. Super Millionaire doesn't care about his J! appearance. J!'s contract---the only thing restricting him---doesn't allow him to be on another show for six months after his last episode of theirs airs.

starcade

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2004, 08:14:43 PM »
Then six months, then...

And, as we went for before, the money he'd lose would be his J! winnings, so the contention stands...

Why must some of you be so...  anal...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2004, 08:37:38 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jul 16 2004, 05:14 PM\'] Why must some of you be so...  anal... [/quote]
 Because you were dead wrong.

There is a great deal of difference between six months and a year.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe