Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: game show math (part 2)  (Read 1250 times)

adamjk

game show math (part 2)
« on: July 15, 2004, 06:40:28 PM »
There will be 3 problems. I will post the results of this on Monday. Good luck to all.

1. Add the number of moves it took to earn a solo player win on Cullen's Blockbusters, to the number of toss ups per show on Wheel of Fortune, and multiply that by the number of pricing games played each day on the Price is Right
(circa 1972)= the number of wins by Thom Mckee on Tic Tac Dough, divided by 2, and then minus 1.

2. Subtract the total number of categories used on an episode of Jeopardy(including final J), from the minimum amount of spins possible during a showcase showdown on Price is Right, and divide that, by the number of questions given in fast money on Family Feud= the maximum number of times a player could play on Wheel of Fortune(syndie) , when they used returning champs, minus 1.

3. Multiply the number of whammy's needed to eliminate you from an episode of Press your Luck/Whammy by the number of main game categories used on any incarnation of Pyramid, and add the number of players on an episode of Super Jeopardy, in the quarterfinal round= the number of wins Ken Jennings has on Jeopardy right now(not counting episode airing tonight July 15), minus 3
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 07:46:58 PM by adamjk »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
game show math (part 2)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 07:14:58 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 03:40 PM\'] and add the number of players on an episode of Super Jeopardy, in the quarter and semi-final rounds.
 [/quote]
Two different numbers. Maybe I misinterpreted the question and this is intentional.
4. Divide the number of keys in the Hollywood Squares bonus round
Also two different numbers, depending on which incarnation of Squares you are talking about.

These puzzles might be more interesting if the resulting number were one that could also be explained in a GS context...that way, if someone flat doesn't know one of the answers, they can work backward to get it....for example, if you come up with 15, you might call it "number of players in the gallery on Jackpot" or "number of squares in the Classic Concentration bonus game". And your answer would be to translate the entire equation.

For example (and trying not to use any definitions that ruin your offerings):

(Number of columns needed to win Hit Man's Triple Crown) + (Panelists on Just Men) * (Number of additional celebrities introduced for second half of MGHSH) - (Number of members on a single team on Family Double Dare) = (Number of seconds it took Billy Crystal to set the record on Pyramid)

And the complete solution would be "3 + 7 * 3 - 4 = 26". And you'd know if you had it all right if the equation actually works out.

(Yeah, I know, it's linear and not algebraic. Sue me.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 07:15:53 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

adamjk

game show math (part 2)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 07:20:08 PM »
You were right about the Super Jeopardy thing. I have edited that question, as well as the Hollywood Squares question. I thank you for bringing those errors to my attention. Also, I have now decided to use your other idea, about having the answer tie in to a game show event. I have added my own twist to that part though on 3 of them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 07:28:41 PM by adamjk »

Kevin Prather

game show math (part 2)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 08:44:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 04:14 PM\'] And the complete solution would be "3 + 7 * 3 - 4 = 26". And you'd know if you had it all right if the equation actually works out. [/quote]
 This is actually not correct.

According to the Order of Operations ("PEMDAS"), the equation "3 + 7 * 3 - 4" would be solved as follows:

3 + 7 * 3 - 4

3 + 21 - 4

24 - 4

To get 26, the equation would have to be

(3 + 7)3 - 4

Okay, I'll retire to my corner now.

Robert Hutchinson

game show math (part 2)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 09:01:30 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 07:44 PM\'] This is actually not correct. [/quote]
 He knows.

Sue him.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Kevin Prather

game show math (part 2)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 09:09:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 06:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 07:44 PM\'] This is actually not correct. [/quote]
He knows.

Sue him. [/quote]
 I will!

:P

Seriously, I didn't catch that last line. Pardon me.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
game show math (part 2)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 09:29:16 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 05:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 04:14 PM\'] And the complete solution would be "3 + 7 * 3 - 4 = 26". And you'd know if you had it all right if the equation actually works out. [/quote]
This is actually not correct.
 [/quote]
 I'd flame you for your ignorance myself, but I see Hutchinson did it for me. Good to see I'm well-covered. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe