Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Karn Feud question  (Read 3829 times)

Card Shark

Karn Feud question
« on: July 02, 2004, 10:16:58 PM »
This may have been posted previously, or even on the perfessor's site. So, apologies and yadda yadda in advance. Has Family Feud been renewed for next season?
Adam Strom

zachhoran

Karn Feud question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 10:22:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 09:16 PM\'] Has Family Feud been renewed for next season? [/quote]
 Yes

JMFabiano

Karn Feud question
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 09:45:31 AM »
And for the benefit of Louie Anderson, that's three, THREE seasons!
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Card Shark

Karn Feud question
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 12:02:54 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 09:45 AM\'] And for the benefit of Louie Anderson, that's three, THREE seasons! [/quote]
I take it this is a reference to Louie's prediction on E!THS about the show only lasting one season following his receiving of the ax? I haven't watched it in several months (not because I don't like it, but I work all the time. Now that I'm on summer break, I'll catch myself up), but from what I remember, they made many improvements with the scoring system. IMO, the show keeps getting better and better.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 12:21:25 PM by Card Shark »
Adam Strom

passwordplus

Karn Feud question
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 12:38:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 12:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 09:45 AM\'] And for the benefit of Louie Anderson, that's three, THREE seasons! [/quote]
I take it this is a reference to Louie's prediction on E!THS about the show only lasting one season following his receiving of the ax? I haven't watched it in several months (not because I don't like it, but I work all the time. Now that I'm on summer break, I'll catch myself up), but from what I remember, they made many improvements with the scoring system. IMO, the show keeps getting better and better. [/quote]
 The "300 points" rule really has improved the show to the old format we all love and know. That "one strike" triple round blew chunks IMHO, it is hardly missed.

Minor detail: They should have kept on using the "old theme" in early 2003 instead of going back to the "party theme"

TV Favorites

Karn Feud question
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 12:46:24 PM »
I agree about the theme.  Although, if I had to choose between the rule change and the classic theme, I'd rather have the 300 point rule.

CarShark

Karn Feud question
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 02:09:55 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 09:45 AM\'] And for the benefit of Louie Anderson, that's three, THREE seasons! [/quote]
I don't know what Anderson was thinking, but I thought he was right. I didn't see how a host change was going to help the show. If I had known that a set change, and later a rule change would follow, I would have thought differently. I remember hearing (possibly on these boards) that Feud was going to be cancelled after Season 4 (Karn's first), but since its production company had nothing better to do, and the ratings were consistent, they kept the show going.

[quote name=\'passwordplus\']The "300 points" rule really has improved the show to the old format we all love and know. That "one strike" triple round blew chunks IMHO, it is hardly missed.[/quote]
I agree that the one-strike round was bad, but I never really thought that the first-to-300 format was that good anyway. Since the producers do everything in their power to keep families from winning in three puzzles nowadays, it seems like it always falls on the "Triple" round or "Sudden Death" to put a team over. The first two puzzles are often rendered useless.

[quote name=\'passwordplus\']Minor detail: They should have kept on using the "old theme" in early 2003 instead of going back to the "party theme"[/quote]
I'm glad they went back to using the more upbeat theme. Watching the old theme with the updated set made me think I was stuck in a time warp. They could have at least used the '94 theme.

BrandonFG

Karn Feud question
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 03:00:59 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 11:46 AM\'] I agree about the theme.  Although, if I had to choose between the rule change and the classic theme, I'd rather have the 300 point rule. [/quote]
 The 300 point rule was a good, albeit long-overdue idea. I hated the way they used the 1988 theme. Not the theme itself, mind you, but I hated how they chopped the theme to pieces, and made so many sloppy edits with it.

They should've tried the 1994 remake though.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

FeudDude

Karn Feud question
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 11:18:51 AM »
I was disappointed that they brought back the John Lewis Parker theme at first, but that theme has kind of grown on me, plus I thought the '88 theme clashed with the set, lighting, and the overall feel of the show.  And all of the other changes made in the last two seasons have definetely made the show much better than it was in the Louie years.  I'm glad to see this show back for another season.

gameshowguy2000

Karn Feud question
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 11:53:38 AM »
I like all the changes in the scoring system EXCEPT:

They don't credit you with the points of the answer you stole with. That rule should have been retained when the scoring system changed.

It looks better, and, like I've seen on occasion, this season, it may take just 3 rounds to reach 300 points.

adamjk

Karn Feud question
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 11:56:27 AM »
No it doesn't look better. Besides, that was one of the rules of the original version in the 70's and 80's.

Particleman

Karn Feud question
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 01:13:39 PM »
Just my 2 cents:

I don't watch daytime TV because of work but I had a chance to watch Family Feud all the way through Monday on my day off.  I haven't seen a show all the way through since the 300-point rule change and I must say that it's a lot better than it was when Louis started as host.  I have grown fond of the new theme song and for the most part, the set.  Richard is a good host although I think he tries a little too hard sometimes.  He doesn't quite seem to be totally comfortable in the role.

Something they should really consider fixing is enabling viewers at home to plainly see the scores for each family.  You see the scores, of course, when they show separate camera shots of both families before the points bank is transferred.  But for the casual viewer, both shots look similar and it's not as clear as showing both families with scores on the main game board as done in years past.  Call me igornant or dated; that's just my opinion.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Karn Feud question
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 08:39:55 PM »
If we're on the topic of small improvements, may I add my own suggestion?

Have Richard read the question more frequently. I'll often stop in during the middle of a question, and I'll rarely find out what those seemingly random answers on the board have in common until it's time for the other family to steal.

On the other hand, he could save a lot of time by not summarizing the strike count after every single answer.

--
Scott Robinson

Stevek83

Karn Feud question
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 10:06:16 PM »
This just makes me think, do you think if they kept Louie on the show and still made all these changes, the show would still be on today? I personally think it would. I mean most of the things we didn't like in the past had nothing to do with Louie, such as the theme, rules of the game, and the returning champions format. Also I really didn't he was THAT bad of a host. He always made the families laugh and IMO he was pretty good with the small talk with the contestants.

Of course, I have nothing against Richard Karn, Hes great too.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 10:13:45 PM by Stevek83 »

chops

Karn Feud question
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2004, 10:18:39 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Jul 7 2004, 07:39 PM\'] If we're on the topic of small improvements, may I add my own suggestion?

Have Richard read the question more frequently. I'll often stop in during the middle of a question, and I'll rarely find out what those seemingly random answers on the board have in common until it's time for the other family to steal. [/quote]
 I seem to remember when he first started, he would insist on reading the question before each player had a chance to answer.  I'm sure with time he'll find his way towards the middle ground.