Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Game Show TV Milestone Of The Day  (Read 2081 times)

AH3RD

Classic Game Show TV Milestone Of The Day
« on: July 06, 2004, 12:58:26 PM »
JULY 6, 1973

The Dating Game, a Chuck Barris Enterprises game show revolving around three young men who vied for a date with a young woman who was hidden from their view, hosted by San Francisco radio personality Jim Lange, went to its reward on ABC Daytime, after 8 years and 2,035 shows.

The Dating Game was the first foray into game shows for producer Chuck Barris, a former songwriter (he composed "Palisades Park," a Top 10 hit for Freddy Cannon in 1962). His production firm churned out such memorable favorites as The Newlywed Game (which first appeared on ABC 7 months after Dating's debut), The Family Game, and the ever-irrepressible Gong Show! ABC gave The Dating Game a primetime edition, seen between October 6, 1966 and January 17, 1970 every Saturday night (sometimes leading in for nighttime versions of other popular ABC Daytime mainstays Let's Make A Deal and The Newlywed Game). Its popularity in the 1960s was big enough to inspire an ice-cream flavor (pink ice cream with diced dates [get it?!] and butter toasted pecans) by Baskin-Robbins!

A daily syndicated edition, launched in the fall as The New Dating Game, carried the show for an extra season. It has seen several resurgences on TV—all syndicated—in 1978, 1986, and 1997.
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

ChuckNet

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 03:58:42 PM »
A daily syndicated edition, launched in the fall as The New Dating Game, carried the show for an extra season.

This was actually a weekly show, I believe.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

rugrats1

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 04:58:48 PM »
The other "New Dating Game", which came about in 1978, was a daily program.

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 07:05:45 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jul 6 2004, 03:58 PM\'] The other "New Dating Game", which came about in 1978, was a daily program. [/quote]
 THat 1978-80 syndicated DG was not called new. Only the 1973-74 syndie version and the 1986-89 syndie version were known as "New"(1986-89 called "All New DG" or "We Love the DG" by Elaine Joyce)

rugrats1

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 12:24:05 AM »
I thought that version was "New", as I have a TV Guide from 1978 that has listings for "New Dating Game".

"We Love the DG" by Elaine Joyce

What kind of name was that? No wonder the show didn't too well.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 12:25:20 AM by rugrats1 »

Winkfan

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 12:49:08 PM »

What kind of name was that? No wonder the show didn't too well.
It was what those in the business call a 'working title,' meaning that the title could change before the show actually goes on the air. Here are a few other examples of this method ('working titles' are in parentheses):

Wheel of Fortune (Shopper's Bazaar)
Jeopardy! (What's the Question?)
The Price is Right (The Auctioneer)
Match Game (The Matchmakers)
What's My Line (Occupation Unknown)
Bumper Stumpers (License to Steal)
Dotto (Magic Money Winner) {According to the quiz show scandal book, Prime Time and Misdemeanors}

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Susan Stafford of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:49:12 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 07:35:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 7 2004, 11:49 AM\'] [quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jul 6 2004, 09:24 PM\']

What kind of name was that? No wonder the show didn't too well. [/quote]
It was what those in the business call a 'working title,' meaning that the title could change before the show actually goes on the air [/quote]
 I don't think "We Love the Dating Game" was the working title for the show, rather what Elaine jokingly referred to the show as.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 08:09:04 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 7 2004, 06:35 PM\'] [quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 7 2004, 11:49 AM\'] [quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jul 6 2004, 09:24 PM\']

What kind of name was that? No wonder the show didn't too well. [/quote]
It was what those in the business call a 'working title,' meaning that the title could change before the show actually goes on the air [/quote]
I don't think "We Love the Dating Game" was the working title for the show, rather what Elaine jokingly referred to the show as. [/quote]
 Tammy is correct.  The trade ads during NATPE listed "We Love the Dating Game" as the title.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.