Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Turning Off Jeopardy!  (Read 4447 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Turning Off Jeopardy!
« on: June 30, 2004, 10:23:56 PM »
Ho hum.

I'm finding I can tell if Ken is going to win again by the middle of the second segment (the segment with the contestant interviews). I can then tune to some REAL television like Greta Van Susteren.

melman1

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 11:28:27 PM »
Does she phrase all her stories in the form of a question?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

Kevin Prather

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 01:24:04 AM »
Well, Chris, you are entitled to that, but I disagree with you. I rather enjoy watching Ken plow through questions at a ridiculous pace. I think it gets really exciting when he hits a daily double, and he has a very indecent amount of money at his disposal.

ClockGameJohn

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 02:21:43 AM »
I agree with whoser.  I'm not a big J! fan, but I've been quite interested in watching lately.  It's like staring at the sun sometimes!

Craig Karlberg

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 04:40:30 AM »
It's dangerous to look at the sun, John.  But watching Ken breeze through each game kinda reminds me of a loooooong tennis rally that seems to go on for like 2 minutes sometimes.  But hey, as NBC would say "It's MUST-SEE TV!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 05:21:12 AM »
Whether watching or playing, the best kind of tennis or racquetball rallies are the best kind.  It's still Jeopardy, and I'll still watch.

-Travis
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 09:48:31 AM »
I think the publicity is getting more people to watch.  I watched the show for the first time in years in anticipation of Matt's appearance, and I do check the show summaries now to find out what happened.  If Ken stays on forever, maybe interest will wane, but I think the general public is just now starting to catch on.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JayC

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 11:02:51 AM »
As I've stated before, Ken's run has made me actually interested in Jeopardy and watching it.  Before Ken's run got to 8 or 9, I never watched at all.  Now, it's even more interesting watching Ken because he is no longer running away with it at Final Jeopardy, but actually has to keep a lead and stay winning.  Of course, his opponents nearly always screw up in the end though.

melman1

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 11:15:18 AM »
Have not watched any first-run game shows in years, but I have been watching Jeopardy through this run.  Prior to Letterman spoofing it last week, however, I wouldn't have known about Ken except for this forum, and most people still don't know about him.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

MikeK

• Martha!
Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 11:32:06 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 11:15 AM\'] Have not watched any first-run game shows in years, but I have been watching Jeopardy through this run.  Prior to Letterman spoofing it last week, however, I wouldn't have known about Ken except for this forum, and most people still don't know about him. [/quote]
 Jennings' streak has been mentioned on Around the Horn; Pardon the Interruption; and I, Max (all sports debate shows) at least once this week, plus as I mentioned here previously, The Best Damn Sports Show Period has had the show's hosts and guests play the previous day's Final Jeopardy! since at least June 21.  Most hard-core sports fans are not game show fans.  (I happen to be an exception.)

The instructor of a night class I'm taking has jokingly said she wanted to leave class early to see that night's Jeopardy! with Jennings.  Nobody asked her who Ken was.  I'd assume that means almost everybody knows about Jennings' run.

I'd say more people know about Ken's streak than you think.

Matt Ottinger

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 11:51:03 AM »
In addition to all the sports shows you mentioned, Ken's been profiled on many mnational news programs, he's been a punch line on Craig Kilborn, a topic of conversation on Regis & Kelly and a running joke on Letterman.  This (and lots more, I'm sure) is all very good for Jeopardy.

Ken's appearances have certainly created a polarizing effect, as comments here and on Sony's board have shown.  Whereas Jeopardy had always been...well, just Jeopardy, now there are strongly held opinions good and bad about what Ken's run means for the show.  Judging from the polls and the comments I've seen, more people seem to enjoy the streak than not, but both sides are certainly speaking out.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 12:06:03 PM »
The bottom line is that Ken Jennings is doing for "J!" exactly what Harry Friedman wanted the waiver of the five-game limit to do--and hopefully, most of those people coming around for the first time in a while might stick around after Ken's last game.

leszekp

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 02:22:28 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 11:06 AM\']The bottom line is that Ken Jennings is doing for "J!" exactly what Harry Friedman wanted the waiver of the five-game limit to do--and hopefully, most of those people coming around for the first time in a while might stick around after Ken's last game.[/quote]
The first half of your comment appears to be happening, based on the most recent ratings I've seen. After dipping from 6.2 to 5.8 the week of Reagan's funeral (the week where Ken had only hit 7 wins, and wasn't getting the publicity he is now), the ratings for the week of June 12-16 are up to 6.5, about a 5% increase from two weeks earlier (and last year's comparables). I wouldn't be surprised if there's another pop the following week as well.

As for the second half ... we'll have to wait and see. Depends on a whole bunch of factors that nobody can possibly know:

1. Is J! really losing some of its hardcore audience who don't like watching Ken over and over? I know that Chris isn't alone in his feelings, but how many of the hardcore viewers feel that way? FWIW, I'm still taping the shows.

2. If Ken's run continues for many more shows, will even those who are currently interested in how he's doing get bored?

3. When (or perhaps I should say "If") Ken's run ends, how many of the new viewers will keep watching? And how many of the hardcore viewers who stopped watching will come back to the show again?

The unlimited rule was a gamble on J!'s part right from the start. If they had gotten a long-term contestant that people found unpleasant to watch, it could have hurt their ratings significantly. In Ken Jennings, they've got as good a poster boy for long-term contestants as they could have hoped for - smart, fast, and personable. I hope he boosts J!'s ratings a lot, if for no other reason than that it might inspire a revival of quiz shows.

Jimmy Owen

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 02:35:41 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the shows were taped in March.  Is there any reason why they couldn't have been run during May sweeps?  If I remember correctly, there was some sweeps stunt in May, which probably could have been shown at a later date.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

leszekp

Turning Off Jeopardy!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 03:09:56 PM »
There were two weeks of special shows in May, the Kids and the Washington Power Players. Dropping both of those would have bumped up Ken's shows by two weeks, making him a 7-day winner by the end of sweeps.