Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Game Show Television Milestones Of The Wee  (Read 7223 times)

adamjk

Classic Game Show Television Milestones Of The Wee
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 05:14:57 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 01:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 01:37 PM\']
How much of daytime got launched by Chuck and Di, anyway?  I seem to recall that the ceremony took place live before the morning news shows came on.
 [/quote]
I don't remember exact times, but I remember as a 6-year-old enjoying his summer of TV, being ticked that the Three's Company reruns and Family Feud on ABC were pre-empted by Charles and Di, as well as my mother's soaps on CBS, so I would imagine it was day-long. [/quote]
 Just out of curiosity, what was the date of the wedding?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 05:18:24 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 04:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 01:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 01:37 PM\']
How much of daytime got launched by Chuck and Di, anyway?  I seem to recall that the ceremony took place live before the morning news shows came on.
 [/quote]
I don't remember exact times, but I remember as a 6-year-old enjoying his summer of TV, being ticked that the Three's Company reruns and Family Feud on ABC were pre-empted by Charles and Di, as well as my mother's soaps on CBS, so I would imagine it was day-long. [/quote]
Just out of curiosity, what was the date of the wedding? [/quote]
 7/29/81.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 05:38:46 PM »
The point is, they do pre-empt the daytime schedule for presidential inaugurations (planned) and the occasional news story. Would they pre-empt daytime for several days running the way they did with the Watergate (over 30 years ago) or Iran-Contra (almost 20 years ago) hearings, or let the cable networks carry it? They didn't carry the 9/11 Commission hearings when Rummy, Condi, etc. testified.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 07:38:42 PM by chris319 »

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 06:01:39 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 05:38 PM\'] The point is, they do pre-empt the daytime schedule for presidential inaugurations (planned) and the occasional news story. Would they pre-empt daytime for several days running the way they did with the Watergate (over 30 years ago) or Iran-Contra (almost 20 years ago) hearings, or let the cable networks carry it? They didn't carry the 9/11 Commission hearings when Rummy, Condi, etc. testified. [/quote]
 With the Watergate hearings, I've heard that the three networks (CBS, NBC, and ABC at the time for you young'uns) rotated coverage of Watergate as to not have all of daytime wiped out and the soaps/games/whatever still be shown. Was this true?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 06:09:30 PM »
What about the whole D.C. Sniper debacle? Didn't that get any daytime coverage? How about the Columbia tragedy? Madrid bombings? SARS?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 06:11:19 PM by whoserman »

adamjk

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 06:11:18 PM »
The Columbia tragedy happened on a weekend a Saturday to be exact , so that really didn't affect daytime TV much, though the funeral I think happened in the afternoon the following week.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 06:11:48 PM by adamjk »

zachhoran

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 06:44:56 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 12:14 PM\']

Although, however, I can't resist asking - the "winner's circle" montage - it started sometime in the mid-80's during run 1, and not near the end of the series, no? [/quote]
 The CBS $25K Pyramid started using the opening WC winners montage in September 1983.

DrBear

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 06:46:48 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 04:01 PM\'] With the Watergate hearings, I've heard that the three networks (CBS, NBC, and ABC at the time for you young'uns) rotated coverage of Watergate as to not have all of daytime wiped out and the soaps/games/whatever still be shown. Was this true? [/quote]
 Yup, tis true (except for key moments such as John Dean's testimony).  And just to add to the fun, PBS showed replays during prime time (which is how McNeil and Lehrer got their start on public TV). Of course, in those days, there was no place else to put 'em and the networks still believed in public service. Nowadays, the president could be accused of fooling around with a young staff member and face impeachment, and it wouldn't be shown for days and days.

And for Chris's comment, nowadays it would take an act of war or a presidential assassination (and I'm doubtful about the assassination) to wipe out network programming for an extended time.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

That Don Guy

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 10:55:12 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:51 AM\'] From Television City In Hollywood, It's Everybody's Game Of Strategy, Knowledge And Fun! It's The New Tic Tac Dough![/b]
There were several instances on CBS' Tic Tac Dough which differentiated it from its impending syndicated version:
    [*]For the front game, the game board consisted of six categories with a black background and three with an orange background. The black-backgrounded categories were regular category questions; whereas the orange-backgrounded categories were jump-in questions. The categories only shuffled before the game started and after both the "X" and "O" player have had a turn at the board. When the categories shuffled, so did the colors as to which ones were regular categories and which ones were jump-in categories(because of the "jump-in's", this is why the podiums at the beginning of the syndicated run had signaling buttons despite the fact that they were never used).
    [*]In the event of a tie game, a jump-in question decided the winner.
    [*]For the bonus round there were four X's, four O's (both are $150 for each one found), and the dragon on the board. Finding The Tic Tac Toe on the board wins a prize package along with the money.
    [*]Contestants retired after surpassing/reaching the CBS $25,000 limit.
    [*]The Dragon had flashing red eyes and a yellow background.
     [/quote]
    Are you sure about some of those?
    You left one difference out: the main game's dollar values were 200 in the center and 100 for the other eight (so a nine-square tie game carried $1000 over).
    Also:
    * I'm pretty sure that tied games carried over, although that may have just been at the beginning of the run;
    * The first round of questions did not have any jump-ins (and occasionally, when the jump-ins showed up, there weren't three of them; I assume that three of the squares were selected at random, including squares that already had an X or O in them);
    * Are you sure about those colors?  I seem to recall them being the same as in the syndicated version (normally blue, but black for jump-ins - white on orange would have been very tough to see on black-and-white TVs).
    * Not a "mistake", but I think you should have pointed out that in the end game, there was only one way to get three in a row, and the contestant was not told in advance if it was three Xs or three Os.

-- Don

Frank15

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2004, 11:10:17 PM »
    [quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:38 AM\'] The $25,000 Pyramid aired for the 1,404th and final time on CBS Daytime television. [/quote]
     Perhaps being picky, but I tend to recall an episode (obviously a rerun) airing on CBS for New Year's Day, 1993, either right before or right after a special half-our episode of The Price is Right.

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 02:44:47 AM »
    [quote name=\'Frank15\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 10:10 PM\'] [quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:38 AM\'] The $25,000 Pyramid aired for the 1,404th and final time on CBS Daytime television. [/quote]
    Perhaps being picky, but I tend to recall an episode (obviously a rerun) airing on CBS for New Year's Day, 1993, either right before or right after a special half-our episode of The Price is Right. [/quote]
     You're right, but it was Christmas Eve 93. I don't remember the half-hour TPiR though.
    "I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
    « Reply #26 on: June 30, 2004, 03:00:45 AM »
    [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 09:55 PM\'] * Are you sure about those colors?  I seem to recall them being the same as in the syndicated version (normally blue, but black for jump-ins - white on orange would have been very tough to see on black-and-white TVs).
     [/quote]
     I'm pretty sure the original poster is right about the colors; but I though it was 3 buzz-ins and 6 regular.  I'll dig out my tape if need be.
    --Mark
    Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2004, 08:04:17 AM »
    [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 01:44 AM\'] [quote name=\'Frank15\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 10:10 PM\'] [quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:38 AM\'] The $25,000 Pyramid aired for the 1,404th and final time on CBS Daytime television. [/quote]
    Perhaps being picky, but I tend to recall an episode (obviously a rerun) airing on CBS for New Year's Day, 1993, either right before or right after a special half-our episode of The Price is Right. [/quote]
    You're right, but it was Christmas Eve 93. I don't remember the half-hour TPiR though. [/quote]
     There were two showings of Pyramid on CBS in 93.  One on Christmas Eve and one on New Year's Eve.  Lynn Redgrave and Billy Crystal were the celebs on the repeat.  In the East, the show aired in the afternoon before sports coverage.
    Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2004, 09:06:26 AM »
    But it would be 2 weeks later when it would defect to firstrun syndication and finally find a niche with viewers ("The New" remained in the title until sometime in the 1979-80 season).

Sept 18, 1978 might have been the "official syndication debut", but some markets actually aired the show earlier.  In my area, the show actually started Labor Day 1978 - the Monday after the CBS cancellation.

Same thing happened for "Wheel of Fortune" in 1983 - we actually got it in late August!
    For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
    https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
    NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2004, 09:10:13 AM »
    With the Watergate hearings, I've heard that the three networks (CBS, NBC, and ABC at the time for you young'uns) rotated coverage of Watergate as to not have all of daytime wiped out and the soaps/games/whatever still be shown. Was this true?

From what I remember and what I've read, this was only true starting around July 1973.  Up until that point, all three networks aired coverage pre-empting numorous games and soaps and throwing the whole schedule off.  That's one of the reasons that TVGuide stopped listing celebrity guests for a while because the schedule was so much up in the air.  As soon as the networks started rotating, things settled down a bit.
    For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
    https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
    NEW LOCATION!!!