Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! -- Why Bother Watching?  (Read 7957 times)

SplitSecond

Jeopardy! -- Why Bother Watching?
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2004, 08:32:21 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jun 21 2004, 08:54 PM\'] Actually, despite what common sense may tell you, the center square is of similar strategical merit. Around the time I auditioned for the show, I studied its strategy thoroughly, and found that while the center square is the riskier option in this case, the rewards of having it can jusify that risk. Either move is strategically valid, despite what Fern told the contestants. [/quote]
 It is (was) pointed out to the contestants that make it to the studio that the center square is indeed a valid play in that situation - it opens you up to three possible lines to play with, as opposed to two with virtually any other choice, so long as you don't play right next to your opponent's square.  It also puts your opponent in the position of almost always potentially giving you two in a row on a missed question.

That said, it is a risk-reward issue, because a wrong response usually means three in a row for your opponent on their next turn.  That's when it comes down to the bluffing aspect of the game and whether or not you can tell if the star is bluffing.  Were it Martin Mull in the center square, I'd probably avoid him and play conservatively, but were it Whoopi or most guest center squares, I would probably take the risk and go for the center, confident that I could read through that star's bluff or recognize a correct answer.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2004, 11:37:26 AM »
What happens if you forget, and don't go in order?

My guess is they'd edit the tape and have the contestant pick again.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

AH3RD

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2004, 05:27:42 PM »
Ken just had his 14th win yesterday; he's practicaly become a regular on the show!
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Jay Temple

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2004, 07:09:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Frank15\' date=\'Jun 21 2004, 11:29 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 21 2004, 10:35 AM\'] I refer you to the advice the contestant coordinators give WOF contestants, which include such brilliant strategic gems as "buy lots of vowels". [/quote]
Um... isn't that good strategy, though?  I mean, a random vowel is much more likely to appear in the puzzle than a random consonant, so if you have the money, and do not know of a consonant that is extremely likely to be in the puzzle, does it not behoove you to choose a vowel over a consonant?  At least until the speed round, where it's more likely to help your competition, anyway. [/quote]
 A secondary reason to buy vowels, at least in the first round or two:  The faster you and your opponents solve the puzzles, the more puzzles you're likely to face, and the additional puzzle will have more money on the wheel than what you lose on the first puzzle.  (When Pat says, late in the show, that it's good news that they have time for another puzzle, I imagine the player in the lead disagrees with him.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.