Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel/J question  (Read 3177 times)

adamjk

Wheel/J question
« on: June 06, 2004, 05:56:41 PM »
I am just wondering, back in 94, when the OJ Simpson trial happened, were Wheel and Jeopardy affected at all? Also, was Price is Right affected? By affected I mean that shows that were supposed to air did not.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 05:57:14 PM by adamjk »

BrandonFG

Wheel/J question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 06:22:12 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 04:56 PM\'] I am just wondering, back in 94, when the OJ Simpson trial happened, were Wheel and Jeopardy affected at all? Also, was Price is Right affected? By affected I mean that shows that were supposed to air did not. [/quote]
 If anything, I think Feud 94 was hit the hardest. I remember reading the numbers were still pretty decent, but the OJ trial pre-empted it in most markets.

IIRC, the trial events usually ended for the day, by the time Wheel/J! aired in most markets, since the two shows air in prime access in most of the country. Matter of fact, I think the only show that would've possibly been affected was Feud, since it was the only show that could air at any point of the day:

Price: daytime version was airing, so syndie TPiR had to air in late afternoon/evenings/late nights

Wheel/J!: prime access in most of country
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

Wheel/J question
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 06:39:30 PM »
Not much , if anything was affected...the trial ran on news cable stations and court tv...and i believe some stations in LA ran extra newscasts (KCAL i think)....CBS price was fine...

It did affect the syndie landscape in the long run...the following season was littered with court shows....

Matt
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvrandywest

Wheel/J question
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 06:49:28 PM »
My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. But I could be wrong about that. It might actually have been my chess chum or pool pal.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 07:11:27 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Steve Gavazzi

Wheel/J question
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 06:52:31 PM »
I seem to remember my grandmother complaining quite a bit that her soaps weren't on.

Price, I would guess, was fine, at least on the East Coast -- if it were pre-empted, the trial proceedings would have had to have started before 8:00 in the morning, which seems sort of unlikely.

MikeK

• Martha!
Wheel/J question
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 06:54:44 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 06:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. [/quote]
 It must've been during Getaway Week on Wheel.

BrandonFG

Wheel/J question
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 07:02:41 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 06:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. [/quote]
It must've been during Getaway Week on Wheel. [/quote]
 I seem to remember one of the prizes on the wheel was a set of knives.

I'll be in the TTD90 room.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

adamjk

Wheel/J question
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 08:50:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. But I could be wrong about that. It might actually have been my chess chum or pool pal.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 Very funny Randy lol

tvwxman

Wheel/J question
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 08:54:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. But I could be wrong about that. It might actually have been my chess chum or pool pal.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 This was Wipeout Week , IIRC.

Or maybe I don't.

Matt
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Steve Gavazzi

Wheel/J question
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 12:23:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 08:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. But I could be wrong about that. It might actually have been my chess chum or pool pal.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
This was Wipeout Week , IIRC.

Or maybe I don't.

Matt [/quote]
 Must have happened during the Mystery Round.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel/J question
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 12:24:36 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 07:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. But I could be wrong about that. It might actually have been my chess chum or pool pal.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
Very funny Randy lol [/quote]
 Too bad that you completely missed the joke.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

adamjk

Wheel/J question
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 03:35:55 PM »
No I didn't.

Steve Gavazzi

Wheel/J question
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 06:05:50 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 03:35 PM\'] No I didn't. [/quote]
Yes, you did.  If you'd understood it, you wouldn't have laughed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 06:06:15 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

adamjk

Wheel/J question
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 06:11:33 PM »
What's wrong with laughing? Randy was just kidding with me. I don't mind being the butt of a joke sometimes. Just as long as it is not intended to hurt me. This was just a harmless little joke. Didn't bother me one bit.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 06:13:46 PM by adamjk »

Kevin Prather

Wheel/J question
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 06:19:54 PM »
If anything, adam should be honored that he had the privelage to be zinged by a TV great.

Hey! I just had an idea! One of these days, we should all meet up in a chat room and have a Dean Martin (Wo)Man of the Hour Roast. I think Chris Lemon, Randy, and a few others here could excel at that.