Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic 21 Question  (Read 9417 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2004, 08:18:23 PM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 09:09 PM\'] Is Jack Landau still alive? [/quote]
 That I don't know.

zachhoran

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2004, 08:31:39 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 08:04 PM\']
It was easy....the original I knew because I recently saw THE 21 episode from 1956, B-E always used John C. Mula for their sets in the mid-late 70s and all of the 80s, and I was a fan of the 2000 version. [/quote]
 John C. Mula didn't design Caldwell's TTD set, that was Dennis Roof.

PeterMarshallFan

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2004, 08:37:07 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 09:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 08:04 PM\']
It was easy....the original I knew because I recently saw THE 21 episode from 1956, B-E always used John C. Mula for their sets in the mid-late 70s and all of the 80s, and I was a fan of the 2000 version. [/quote]
John C. Mula didn't design Caldwell's TTD set, that was Dennis Roof. [/quote]
 If you want to nitpick, I can nitpick right back...

By that time, Barry had passed away. So it technically wasn't Barry-Enright, it was just *Enright.*

Told you I could nitpick. :-P

Neumms

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2004, 09:38:58 PM »
History question: I know Barry/Enright (or just Enright) did the Jim Lange "21" pilot, but didn't NBC own the show? For that matter, didn't NBC own "Tic Tac Dough," having bought rights to all the shows (including, more notably, "Concentration")?

The Ol' Guy

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2004, 10:21:17 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they did have to work things out license-wise with NBC. I don't think they necessarily had an automatic "in". as once Dan mentioned his frustration over losing a bid to regain the rights to produce Concentration again. G-T got the nod. Now did NBC give Jim Victory a share of the Concentration rights, or just a cut of merchandise money, or what, since the Endless home version lists NBC as the owner of the format, the game issued under license from Victory Television. NBC Enterprises International still lists TTD, Dough Re Mi, Concentration and Twenty-One as NBC-owned properties - the Concentration entry does not list any co-owner of the format rights.

And incidentally - did anyone else find it interesting that in the Povich Twenty-One, the credits listed Bob Noah as the original creator of the format? I know he worked there then, but was Bob the total creator of the original format, or did NBC just wish to avoid any association of the show with Jack or Dan?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 10:40:18 PM by The Ol' Guy »

familyfeudfan

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2004, 09:49:12 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 10:21 PM\'] Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they did have to work things out license-wise with NBC. I don't think they necessarily had an automatic "in". as once Dan mentioned his frustration over losing a bid to regain the rights to produce Concentration again. G-T got the nod. Now did NBC give Jim Victory a share of the Concentration rights, or just a cut of merchandise money, or what, since the Endless home version lists NBC as the owner of the format, the game issued under license from Victory Television. NBC Enterprises International still lists TTD, Dough Re Mi, Concentration and Twenty-One as NBC-owned properties - the Concentration entry does not list any co-owner of the format rights.

And incidentally - did anyone else find it interesting that in the Povich Twenty-One, the credits listed Bob Noah as the original creator of the format? I know he worked there then, but was Bob the total creator of the original format, or did NBC just wish to avoid any association of the show with Jack or Dan? [/quote]
I wonder why the piolet version of 21 didn't make it to air ion 1980?

familyfeudfan

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2004, 09:50:46 AM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 09:49 AM\'] [quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 10:21 PM\'] Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they did have to work things out license-wise with NBC. I don't think they necessarily had an automatic "in". as once Dan mentioned his frustration over losing a bid to regain the rights to produce Concentration again. G-T got the nod. Now did NBC give Jim Victory a share of the Concentration rights, or just a cut of merchandise money, or what, since the Endless home version lists NBC as the owner of the format, the game issued under license from Victory Television. NBC Enterprises International still lists TTD, Dough Re Mi, Concentration and Twenty-One as NBC-owned properties - the Concentration entry does not list any co-owner of the format rights.

And incidentally - did anyone else find it interesting that in the Povich Twenty-One, the credits listed Bob Noah as the original creator of the format? I know he worked there then, but was Bob the total creator of the original format, or did NBC just wish to avoid any association of the show with Jack or Dan? [/quote]
I wonder why the piolet version of 21 didn't make it to air ion 1980? [/quote]
Spelling corection:

I wonder why the piolet version of 21 didn't make it to air in 1980?

zachhoran

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2004, 09:55:04 AM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 09:50 AM\']
I wonder why the piolet version of 21 didn't make it to air in 1980? [/quote]
 The pilot was from 1982, and game shows were kind of in decline that year, NBC cancelled several shows in late 1981 and early 1982, SYndie Match Game got cancelled, and the new shows premiering in the early 80s in syndication crashed and burned. Some stations in contention to buy the show at NATPE that year probably knew of the tarnished image associated with the game, and though this show would be an unrigged version(complete with a luck based bonus game Barry and Enright were notorious for), decided not to go with it.

Matt Ottinger

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2004, 10:12:46 AM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 10:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 09:49 AM\']
Spelling corection:

Want to try a third time?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2004, 10:19:54 AM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 09:50 AM\'] I wonder why the piolet version of 21 didn't make it to air in 1980? [/quote]
 Well, there was a shortage of contestants....They axed, but no one came....

Don Howard

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2004, 04:11:54 PM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 09:50 AM\'] I wonder why the pilot version of 21 didn't make it to air in 1980? [/quote]
 Because it wasn't filmed until 1982.

ChuckNet

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2004, 06:09:36 PM »
You guys are too much. :-) But seriously, the game's biggest flaw was that unless it was rigged, it was really pretty dull...just lacked the drama and suspense of the original 50s version. And who else thought Jim Lange looked kinda creepy w/out his TM glasses?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

PeterMarshallFan

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2004, 06:16:57 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 07:09 PM\'] You guys are too much. :-) But seriously, the game's biggest flaw was that unless it was rigged, it was really pretty dull...just lacked the drama and suspense of the original 50s version. And who else thought Jim Lange looked kinda creepy w/out his TM glasses?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 The only real problem I had with it was that the booths looked awfully empty...something seemed to be missing without the little desks in front of the contestants.

You want something REALLY creepy? This is just for you, Chuck:

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/...rkrichards2.JPG

How I love MS Paint's "Invert Colors" option. :-)

The Ol' Guy

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2004, 06:47:53 PM »
I have that show buried somewhere around here..wasn't that the one where the highest question value was 9? What was with that? Maybe I'm missing something, but it sure seemed dumb. What would the difference be between an 18-17 win and a 21-20 win after two questions? Still one point, right? It's gotta be forcing extra rounds means the game is played longer, eating up more air time, therefore making the show more economical as a 5-a-week strip. That wouldn't matter if one player decided to quit after the second question. You know, the more I mull this over, the lousier the concept gets.....

familyfeudfan

Classic 21 Question
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2004, 07:10:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 10:12 AM\'] [quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 10:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 09:49 AM\']
Spelling corection:

Want to try a third time? [/quote]
I knew that was comming :)