Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $OTC Questions  (Read 9669 times)

zachhoran

$OTC Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2004, 10:43:52 AM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' date=\'May 14 2004, 09:42 AM\'] Thanks, Zach.  So does anyone have any clips or snappys from the early years of $ale? [/quote]
 There are those traders who circulate some early episodes of 80s $otC on the trading circuit, including the premiere. The 1969-74 NBC/syndicated original version is believed lost or destroyed, and no episodes of that are on the trading circuit.

sotcfan2004

$OTC Questions
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2004, 10:53:04 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 14 2004, 09:43 AM\'] There are those traders who circulate some early episodes of 80s $otC on the trading circuit, including the premiere. The 1969-74 NBC/syndicated original version is believed lost or destroyed, and no episodes of that are on the trading circuit. [/quote]
 Yeah, but I don't really have anything to trade with.  I am an amateur GS fan, so to speak.

I noticed Anthony Staub has a very impressive $ale collection.  It's funny that none of the main $ale fanpages (Original Game Show Page seems to be the only remaining one) go in-depth about the many changes $ale underwent.

Rastaub

$OTC Questions
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2004, 07:41:16 PM »
It's actually Bob Staub, I think you are confusing me and Anthony Nichols. However my middle name is Anthony.

Those attending the GSC next month will be treated to my latest acquistions of Sale and Scrabble.

TheInquisitiveOne

$OTC Questions
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2004, 12:33:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'May 14 2004, 06:41 PM\'] It's actually Bob Staub, I think you are confusing me and Anthony Nichols. However my middle name is Anthony.

Those attending the GSC next month will be treated to my latest acquistions of Sale and Scrabble. [/quote]
 That is absolutely right. Also, I have a good connection with Mr. Staub, and he gives me whatever rare episodes of $ale he gets. He has helped me greatly, and I always will return the favor. In fact, I have a bonus tape, to be sent soon, for him.

Well, I see that there is an even bigger $ale of the Century fan than myself. So, let me help you out with a timeline of all changes that took place throughout the show's run...as far as I know (significant or otherwise):

March 1983: Sally Julian replaced by Lee Menning. Mort wins the lot, totalling $95,000 exactly.

May 1983: Cash jackpot put into play, $10 and $15 money cards added.

Early 1984: Faces on the "Fame Game Board" replaced with numbers.

Mid 1984: Beige set replaced with more familiar gold set and podia.

Fall of 1984: Winner's Board put into play.

Early 1985: Summer Bartholomew replaces Lee Menning, Syndie version premieres (with Shopping Round reinstated; cash jackpot can ONLY be won with the entire lot at this point)

Late 1985: Fame Game board is randomized a la Press Your Luck; Shopping Round done for good.

Mid 1986: Final Instant Bargain replaced with Instant Ca$h; syndie version ends.

Summer 1987: Winner's Board replaced with Winner's Big Money Game; five puzzles in 25 seconds.

Early 1988: Four puzzles in 20 seconds.

Summer 1988: Rani White becomes ONLY player to win $50,000 under the rules of the WBMG.

That pretty much does it. Anyone willing to make corrections or additions are welcome.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
$OTC Questions
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2004, 03:04:52 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'May 14 2004, 09:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'May 14 2004, 06:41 PM\'] It's actually Bob Staub, I think you are confusing me and Anthony Nichols. However my middle name is Anthony.

Those attending the GSC next month will be treated to my latest acquistions of Sale and Scrabble. [/quote]
That is absolutely right. Also, I have a good connection with Mr. Staub, and he gives me whatever rare episodes of $ale he gets. He has helped me greatly, and I always will return the favor. In fact, I have a bonus tape, to be sent soon, for him.

Well, I see that there is an even bigger $ale of the Century fan than myself. So, let me help you out with a timeline of all changes that took place throughout the show's run...as far as I know (significant or otherwise):

March 1983: Sally Julian replaced by Lee Menning. Mort wins the lot, totalling $95,000 exactly.

May 1983: Cash jackpot put into play, $10 and $15 money cards added.

Early 1984: Faces on the "Fame Game Board" replaced with numbers.

Mid 1984: Beige set replaced with more familiar gold set and podia.

Fall of 1984: Winner's Board put into play.

Early 1985: Summer Bartholomew replaces Lee Menning, Syndie version premieres (with Shopping Round reinstated; cash jackpot can ONLY be won with the entire lot at this point)

Late 1985: Fame Game board is randomized a la Press Your Luck; Shopping Round done for good.

Mid 1986: Final Instant Bargain replaced with Instant Ca$h; syndie version ends.

Summer 1987: Winner's Board replaced with Winner's Big Money Game; five puzzles in 25 seconds.

Early 1988: Four puzzles in 20 seconds.

Summer 1988: Rani White becomes ONLY player to win $50,000 under the rules of the WBMG.

That pretty much does it. Anyone willing to make corrections or additions are welcome.

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
 Anthony:

I recently had the good fortune to purchase a first-season contestant's logo pin (a holdover from the Australian version of the show; this practice only lasted until the introduction of the gold/yellow set) from a woman named Helen Darvall who claims SHE was the first person to win the lot on the American show.  I would not have recognized the pin as legit if were not for two things:

One - the lament of one Mike Klauss, won advised me of the auction and,
Two - Bob Staub's generous trade of an entire tape full of Sale episodes, including the premiere, Laura Chambers' first episode, a 2001 Australian episode (wow!  Cool set and music, and while Glenn Ridge - the Pat Sajak of Australia -  can't sell IBs like Jim Perry, he's a quite likable chap, and a damn good question reader) and numerous other big wins.

After I won the pin from her, she sent me an e-mail detailing her show, which I've posted at my LJ blog at...

http://www.livejournal.com/~gameshowman

Does anyone have this woman's episodes on tape?

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, was David Rogers' $109,000 Cash Jackpot the largest Cash Jackpot, or was there one larger?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

Don Howard

$OTC Questions
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2004, 04:43:02 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'May 14 2004, 11:33 PM\'] Summer 1987: Winner's Board replaced with Winner's Big Money Game; five puzzles in 25 seconds.

[/quote]
A few corrections and additions for you, my man:

The Winner's Big Money Game began in December 1987 with the arrival of the reorchestration of the theme music and dropping of the announcement of consolation prizes at the end of the show.

January 1988: Don Morrow replaced Jay Stewart as announcer.

Rani won the $50000 during Spring 1988.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 08:23:28 PM by Don Howard »

tmq800

$OTC Questions
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2004, 06:12:40 PM »
To be specific, NBC dropped the fee plugs from ALL of its gameshows beginning in fall 1987.  The shows included Sale, Classic Concentration, WoF, Scrabble, Super Password, and WLoD.

Now, every syndicated show has at least 2 to 4 fee plugs!, including the Closed Captioning sponsor plug.

THIS PROGRAM HAS BEEN CLOSED-CAPTIONED FOR THE HEARING IMPAIRED, AND THOSE WHO NEED TO READ WHAT THEY ARE SAYING!

zachhoran

$OTC Questions
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2004, 07:25:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'May 15 2004, 05:12 PM\'] To be specific, NBC dropped the fee plugs from ALL of its gameshows beginning in fall 1987.  The shows included Sale, Classic Concentration, WoF, Scrabble, Super Password, and WLoD.
 [/quote]
 WLOD began on NBC Daytime on 9/7/87 without any end-of-show fee plugs(while the syndie version that premiered that evening had fee plugs throughout its run). The other NBC daytime game shows still had end of show fee plugs until 12/25/87(our own Splinkynip was in the WOF Teen Week finals that aired that Xmas day). End-of-show fee plugs were back for Scrabble, Scattergories, and Caesar's CHallenge in 1993(don't recall if Family Secrets had them or not). When CLassic Concentration aired reruns from 1987 in 1992-93, the fee plugs were edited out.

ChuckNet

$OTC Questions
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 10:52:58 PM »
End-of-show fee plugs were back for Scrabble, Scattergories, and Caesar's CHallenge in 1993(don't recall if Family Secrets had them or not).

They did indeed.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

TheInquisitiveOne

$OTC Questions
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2004, 12:05:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'May 15 2004, 02:04 AM\'] Anthony:

I recently had the good fortune to purchase a first-season contestant's logo pin (a holdover from the Australian version of the show; this practice only lasted until the introduction of the gold/yellow set) from a woman named Helen Darvall who claims SHE was the first person to win the lot on the American show.  I would not have recognized the pin as legit if were not for two things:

One - the lament of one Mike Klauss, won advised me of the auction and,
Two - Bob Staub's generous trade of an entire tape full of Sale episodes, including the premiere, Laura Chambers' first episode, a 2001 Australian episode (wow!  Cool set and music, and while Glenn Ridge - the Pat Sajak of Australia -  can't sell IBs like Jim Perry, he's a quite likable chap, and a damn good question reader) and numerous other big wins.

After I won the pin from her, she sent me an e-mail detailing her show, which I've posted at my LJ blog at...

http://www.livejournal.com/~gameshowman

Does anyone have this woman's episodes on tape?

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, was David Rogers' $109,000 Cash Jackpot the largest Cash Jackpot, or was there one larger?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel [/quote]
 Thanks for that post. Ms. Darvall's account was pretty entertaining to read. It was not easy to get that $500 needed to buy the lot.

The clip of Mort's $95,000 win came from...of all places...the 15th Anniversary Special of the Aussie version of $ale of the Century (thanks to Joe Raygor for that episode!). That is the only clip I know of that exists from the year of 1983, besides the premiere episode and Laura Chambers' three appearances. I would love to see some 1983 episodes as well, but it is going to be rather difficult to find someone who has any from that far back.

By the way, David Rogers' $109,000 win was the highest the cash jackpot in the history of US $ale. The syndie version came close; the jackpot escalated past the $80,000 mark and continued to rise after Jan Roach decided to buy the twin Fieros. It reverted back to $50,000 not too long after that (Winner's Board put into play).

A few corrections and additions for you, my man:

The Winner's Big Money Game began in December 1987 with the arrival of the reorchestration of the theme music and dropping of the announcement of consolation prizes at the end of the show.

January 1988: Don Morrow replaced Jay Stewart as announcer.

Rani won the $50000 during Spring 1988.

Thanks for your help on that one. It is kind of hard to put the pieces together with the 50 or so episodes/clips that I have.

By the way, did you know anyone who was closely associated with $ale, Mr. Howard? I only ask because your dating of the changes that took place is remarkable!

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

tmq800

$OTC Questions
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2004, 11:50:10 AM »
What was the model of the $50K Mercedes that was given away?

An SL Roadster or SE Coupe?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
$OTC Questions
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2004, 01:41:27 PM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'May 15 2004, 05:12 PM\'] Now, every syndicated show has at least 2 to 4 fee plugs!, including the Closed Captioning sponsor plug.
 [/quote]
 Would you like us to tell you who the fee plugs are before the show starts too?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

$OTC Questions
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2004, 05:20:58 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'May 15 2004, 11:05 PM\'] By the way, did you know anyone who was closely associated with $ale, Mr. Howard? I only ask because your dating of the changes that took place is remarkable!

[/quote]
 No, but I wish I did. I was a big fan of the show and when that's the case, certain things just stay in my memory. I'm always happy to talk about $ale of the Century--unless the subject deals with the Robin Leach-hosted attempt at a remake with NO! instant bargains.

tmq800

$OTC Questions
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2004, 06:26:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'May 16 2004, 12:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'May 15 2004, 05:12 PM\'] Now, every syndicated show has at least 2 to 4 fee plugs!, including the Closed Captioning sponsor plug.
 [/quote]
Would you like us to tell you who the fee plugs are before the show starts too? [/quote]

I know one sponsor for the Closed Captioning plug for J! and Wheel:

MEINEKE AUTO CENTERS

Look for George Foreman to say 'RIGHT SERVICE, RIGHT PRICE.'

Rastaub

$OTC Questions
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2004, 06:37:50 PM »

I know one sponsor for the Closed Captioning plug for J! and Wheel:
MEINEKE AUTO CENTERS

Look for George Foreman to say 'RIGHT SERVICE, RIGHT PRICE.

I really don't like to reply in a fashion like this, but get a clue. He wasnt asking for the actual sponsors.  Although maybe this post would be helpful if say, none of us ever watched Wheel or TV for that matter.   Get a clue.