Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $OTC Questions  (Read 9670 times)

sotcfan2004

$OTC Questions
« on: May 13, 2004, 10:20:57 AM »
I know I ask a lot about $ale of the Century, but I did miss out on this show quite a bit.

Does anyone know who the all-time biggest winner was on 80's $ale?

Did anyone try and play for the jackpot and lose?

Was the first instant bargain (that 8" deep stereo) bought or passed on?

Finally, what's the most money Jim Perry ever offered a player to buy an instant bargain?

If anyone can help me with any of these questions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
John M.

zachhoran

$OTC Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 10:26:22 AM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' date=\'May 13 2004, 09:20 AM\'] I know I ask a lot about $ale of the Century, but I did miss out on this show quite a bit.

Finally, what's the most money Jim Perry ever offered a player to buy an instant bargain?
 [/quote]
 IIRC It was John Gose in regulation play, with over $150K on the syndie version in 1985. One of the TofC winners from the NBC run, Stephanie from the 2/85 TofC, had a grand total of $150K+ when she won her TofC.

THe most incentive cash that I remember Jim offering is $2K during an IB in the first TofC in November 1983.

sotcfan2004

$OTC Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 11:47:22 AM »
That clears up some of the confusion.  Anyone have any of the other answers?

Rastaub

$OTC Questions
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 12:14:43 PM »
Not that I'm questioning Zach's answers, but I have an episode in which Tom O'Brien's total winnings come to about 153K. I'd have to check the tape to be sure, but I think Jim even remarks that he was (at least at the time) Sale's highest money winner. That was from 1987, after the syndicated run ended.

As to ansering the other questions, I know that Alice Conkwright defeated a champ who was pretty close to the jackpot, and I just recently got an episode where Dawn McKellar loses by 2, while shooting for a 99K jackpot.  Im sure there were plenty more, but those 2 spring to mind.

Bob Staub

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
$OTC Questions
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 12:32:15 PM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' date=\'May 13 2004, 10:47 AM\'] That clears up some of the confusion.  Anyone have any of the other answers? [/quote]
 I'm reasonably sure that the first Instant Bargain was not bought (but not completely positive--at least I got a 50/50 shot at it, though  ;-) ).

Doug -- and the countdown to 500 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

sotcfan2004

$OTC Questions
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 04:48:49 PM »
OK, here's a couple more questions:  (BTW, thanks to those who have helepd to answer my previous questions:

Who won the premiere episode of $ale in 1983?  Did they keep going or retire?

Was anything other than cash ever offered as a 'Sale Surprise'?

What is the most expensive car ever offered on $ale?

In the Fame Game, when 'Mystery Money or Pick Again' showed up, did anyone ever take the Mystery Money?  How much was it?

Just anxious to learn a little $ale trivia.  It was a great show, from what I can remember, and makes today's reality shows look like the crap that they are.  Anyhoo, thanks for your help!

sshuffield70

$OTC Questions
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 06:16:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'May 13 2004, 11:14 AM\'] Not that I'm questioning Zach's answers, but I have an episode in which Tom O'Brien's total winnings come to about 153K. I'd have to check the tape to be sure, but I think Jim even remarks that he was (at least at the time) Sale's highest money winner. That was from 1987, after the syndicated run ended.

As to ansering the other questions, I know that Alice Conkwright defeated a champ who was pretty close to the jackpot, and I just recently got an episode where Dawn McKellar loses by 2, while shooting for a 99K jackpot.  Im sure there were plenty more, but those 2 spring to mind.

Bob Staub [/quote]
 I thought I saw some totals up in the 160s especially on the syndie show.

zachhoran

$OTC Questions
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 07:19:10 PM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' date=\'May 13 2004, 03:48 PM\']

Was anything other than cash ever offered as a 'Sale Surprise'?

What is the most expensive car ever offered on $ale?

In the Fame Game, when 'Mystery Money or Pick Again' showed up, did anyone ever take the Mystery Money?  How much was it?

Just anxious to learn a little $ale trivia.  It was a great show, from what I can remember, and makes today's reality shows look like the crap that they are.  Anyhoo, thanks for your help! [/quote]
 I have a memory of tickets to see some musical artist(Diana Ross) being offered as a $ale Surprise in SUmmer 1984.

The most expensive cars offered on $ale were offered very early in the run, when they'd have $40K cars(in 1983 dollars). From Jan-May 1983, they didn't have a cash jackpot available, and the car was the plateau before winning all the prizes on the stage.

The Mystery Money was known to be as low as $1.75 or as high as $1500. The syndie version offered a "Trip or Pick Again" in the Fame Game on a few occasions.

starcade

$OTC Questions
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 07:24:37 PM »
I seem to remember they had a "Champion of Champions" tournament and a lady won and I heard her total and figured the bouquet she was given onstage made the total a cool $250,000.

That Don Guy

$OTC Questions
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 09:57:33 PM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' date=\'May 13 2004, 03:48 PM\'] What is the most expensive car ever offered on $ale? [/quote]
I think the first car was something like a $50,000 Mercedes, and it included the "clear suitcase" with somewhere between $3000 and $6000 in it, to make the total of all of the prizes exactly $95,000 (this was before the cash jackpot; once that started, the cars became much cheaper).

-- Don

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
$OTC Questions
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 10:37:47 PM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' date=\'May 13 2004, 03:48 PM\'] Just anxious to learn a little $ale trivia.  It was a great show, from what I can remember, and makes today's reality shows look like the crap that they are.  Anyhoo, thanks for your help! [/quote]
 It would appear you don't remember much.  Anyone think this guy is related to adamjk?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

$OTC Questions
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 02:25:57 AM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' date=\'May 13 2004, 09:20 AM\'] I know I ask a lot about $ale of the Century, but I did miss out on this show quite a bit.

Did anyone try and play for the jackpot and lose?

Was the first instant bargain (that 8" deep stereo) bought or passed on?

Who won the premiere episode of $ale in 1983? Did they keep going or retire?

[/quote]
 Okay, allow me to answer your questions

1: The person was Tom O'Brien, who won over $152,000

2: Someone was going for the lot when he was defeated by Alice Conkright

3: Yep, the stereo was bought after Jim knocked the price down a couple dollars and offer the player $100 in cash

4: $2000

5: The first champ was Janice, who won with $49. Not sure how far she went, however she was VERY nervous the whole time

Hope that helps, the person to turn to for all your $otC needs is the expert himself, Anthony R. Nichols !

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

sotcfan2004

$OTC Questions
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004, 09:28:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'May 13 2004, 09:37 PM\'] It would appear you don't remember much.  Anyone think this guy is related to adamjk? [/quote]
 It's not that, it's just that I don't have the luxury of a GS collection, and I have never seen $ale outside of what was shown on USA in the early 90s.  It would be nice if there were more video clips or pics posted.  The $ale that USA viewers saw apparently left out a lot of things.  If the guy in charge of 'Page o Clips' is reading this, it would be great to see what I've been missing all these years.

zachhoran

$OTC Questions
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 09:49:37 AM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' date=\'May 14 2004, 08:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'May 13 2004, 09:37 PM\'] It would appear you don't remember much.  Anyone think this guy is related to adamjk? [/quote]
It's not that, it's just that I don't have the luxury of a GS collection, and I have never seen $ale outside of what was shown on USA in the early 90s.  It would be nice if there were more video clips or pics posted.  The $ale that USA viewers saw apparently left out a lot of things.  If the guy in charge of 'Page o Clips' is reading this, it would be great to see what I've been missing all these years. [/quote]
 USA only ran $otC for two years, and $otC ran six years on NBC(some 1600 shows), plus another 300 shows in a year and a half syndicated run. USA evidently only acquired the syndie run plus the last six or so months of the NBC run(save for the last couple episodes), and they circled back to the NBC episodes after airing the NBC and then the Syndie. That's why we didn't see the entire evolution of the show on USA. And reruns elsewhere sadly is not likely at this point.

sotcfan2004

$OTC Questions
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 10:42:00 AM »
Thanks, Zach.  So does anyone have any clips or snappys from the early years of $ale?