Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: on the cover  (Read 1752 times)

familyfeudfan

on the cover
« on: May 17, 2004, 09:05:52 PM »
Does any one think that the on the cover logo looks like the on air one?

The Ol' Guy

on the cover
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 09:26:03 PM »
..it's just that when I see the logo, I feel like it escaped from an old Group W Production. Was there are particular show from Group W, or did the company itself use that style of type in it's name?

and overall, it wasn't that bad a show. Not a timeless classic, but Mark manages to keep the show moving with a smile, which is about all you can ask...

rugrats1

on the cover
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 09:59:12 PM »
Group W used that style of font, called "Anklepants" for their production companies and radio & TV stations since the early 1960s. Since Viacom's acquisition of CBS (which acquired Group W earlier), the use of Anklepants is, more or less, slowly being phased out, though some stations still use it (like WINS-AM in New York and KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh).

whewfan

on the cover
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 10:30:50 PM »
Here's my evaluation...

The set: Pretty elaborate and busy.... almost TOO elaborate.

The format: Very straight Q&A, mostly about pop culture. The 2nd round with parody covers is hit and miss, featuring mildly amusing to "groaner" punny covers.
However, I found the game itself anticlimactic, and not too exciting.

Mark L Wahlberg: I hate to say this, but Mark just isn't as appealing here as he was on Russian Roulette. I mean, on Russian Roulette, contestants were standing on trap doors. That led to some great exchanges between Mark and people anticipating the ultimate fall into nowhere land. This is just plain Q&A folks... and Mark seems a little uncomfy trying to make it interesting.

The contestants: Is it me, or do the players seem to be too well coached... almost like they're not real.

Overall, I hope PAX will score better with Balderdash, which seems to have more going for it.

adamjk

on the cover
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 10:41:34 PM »
Third round had the parody covers