Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "What The Blank"  (Read 8508 times)

Craig Karlberg

"What The Blank"
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2004, 05:52:40 AM »
If WTB?! does become a ratings hit(and it doesn't have to be a HUGE sucess), I wouldn't mind a syndicated version.  Problem is, there's no room for game shows this fall(2004-2005).  The next available year would be the 2005-2006 season IMO.

ClockGameJohn

"What The Blank"
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2004, 06:11:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 10 2004, 04:52 AM\'] Problem is, there's no room for game shows this fall(2004-2005).  The next available year would be the 2005-2006 season IMO. [/quote]
 Huh?

LA the DJ

"What The Blank"
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2004, 06:13:09 AM »
Let's not forget that this show also has another thing going for it...One of FOX's top shows right now is a Freemantle franchise, even though i do my best to pretend that show doesn't exist, personally.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Ian Wallis

"What The Blank"
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2004, 09:18:52 AM »
I'm uneasy about the whole Network prime time thing. It hasn't proven to have been all that successful of a time slot for game shows in the past. Just think of........

Twenty-One
Weakest Link
Winning Lines
Big Deal
Who Wants To Be A Millionare.
The Chair

Did any of them last longer than a year?

Point taken - with the exception of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire".  They were on prime time for close to 3 years, and did 363 episodes - more than any other ABC prime time show ever.  Plus, considering the ratings for the first two years, I'd say it was a major success.

However, I guess that was the exception rather than the rule.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

"What The Blank"
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2004, 09:29:45 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'May 10 2004, 04:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 9 2004, 09:14 PM\'] Judy Tenuta IS available. [/quote]
And with any luck.... she'll REMAIN "available".

I'm sorry, but I'll bet anyone on this group would agree that Judy wouldn't fit too well with ANY game show. Besides, she didn't exactly do anything to help keep MG 98 afloat for longer than one season. (The same could be said for the rest of the lackluster panel too) [/quote]
 George Hamilton and of course Vicki Lawrence were tolerable, the others we can do without. Martin Mull of the cancelled Hollywood Squares would be a natural panelist choice, as he and Fred go back more than 30 years(surprising Martin or Fred never did MG7x, but Fred did do a few eps. on MG98).

Jimmy Owen

"What The Blank"
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2004, 09:52:10 AM »
I think Martin was too sarcastic in the '70s, but he has mellowed.  Sorta like the SNL and SCTV guys who twenty-five years ago were slamming the kinds of movies they are making today.  This makes another "Real People" host to become a game show host, and from what I read somewhere Mark Russell was under consideration some years ago to host a show, but declined the offer.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Skynet74

"What The Blank"
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2004, 10:36:47 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'May 10 2004, 04:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 9 2004, 09:14 PM\'] Judy Tenuta IS available. [/quote]

I'm sorry, but I'll bet anyone on this group would agree that Judy wouldn't fit too well with ANY game show. [/quote]

I actually do see a perfect Game show for Judy. I would put her on the panel of "The Gong Show." She seems like a perfect fit for them. Other than that ........ No Games for Judy. Seeing that The Gong Show isn't even around at the moment it looks like we won't be seeing Judy anytime soon. :-)

John
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 10:37:26 AM by Skynet74 »

dzinkin

"What The Blank"
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2004, 10:44:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 10 2004, 10:36 AM\'] I actually do see a perfect Game show for Judy. I would put her on the panel of "The Gong Show." She seems like a perfect fit for them. Other than that ........ No Games for Judy. Seeing that The Gong Show isn't even around at the moment it looks like we won't be seeing Judy anytime soon. :-) [/quote]
 Quiet, John!  Do you want GSN to hear you and resurrect Extreme Gong? ;-)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
"What The Blank"
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2004, 11:28:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 10 2004, 04:52 AM\'] If WTB?! does become a ratings hit(and it doesn't have to be a HUGE sucess), I wouldn't mind a syndicated version.  Problem is, there's no room for game shows this fall(2004-2005).  The next available year would be the 2005-2006 season IMO. [/quote]
 Ever hear the term "midseason replacement"?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Thad Dixon

"What The Blank"
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2004, 12:01:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 10 2004, 10:36 AM\'] I actually do see a perfect Game show for Judy. I would put her on the panel of "The Gong Show." She seems like a perfect fit for them. Other than that ........ No Games for Judy. Seeing that The Gong Show isn't even around at the moment it looks like we won't be seeing Judy anytime soon. :-) [/quote]
 Right now, the only place I'd like to see Judy right now is as the host of that new "Insider" program set to replace H2 in some markets this fall -- even if only to see it fail unlike its parent program (ET).

uncamark

"What The Blank"
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2004, 12:39:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 9 2004, 09:43 PM\']It would be great if Networks still had that two hour block in the morning from 10 to Noon Eastern or 9 to 11 for you folks out West. I would love to see this new revival paired up with some other games. I would recommend for Fox stations to reintroduce the morning block....... but there is probably a better chance of California sinking in the Ocean from an earthquake tonight then that happening.[/quote]
Exactly.

Stations don't really want network daytime because they can make more money off of syndicated shows.  And unless a Fox affil has Oprah or Regis and Kelly running at 9 a.m., for the most part they'd rather run "The 700 Club," other paid religion or infomercials and make some money while getting killed in the ratings rather than get killed in the ratings with a syndicated show that in most cases they pay for.

Fox found this out the hard way with "Fox After Breakfast"--a show most affiliates never wanted and tried to kill once it was on.  Since then, they've stayed out of weekday daytime strips for adults and pulled out of the after-school kids block (and out of kids TV completely, since the Fox Box is owned and programmed by 4Kids Entertainment on a time buy from the net).  The fact that "Good Day Live!" is in syndication rather than being on the network is proof that the affils don't want a show crammed down their throats in daytime.

leszekp

"What The Blank"
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2004, 02:07:14 PM »
Leave "WWTBAM" off the list of failures of primetime shows. The reason it died was because of too many celebrity shows, and only one "regular" contestant show per week, which hurt continuity. I think the loss of the phone game also hurt as well, though I'm sure there are some here who will disagree (though the ratings did perk up again when they brought the phone game back).

Leave "Twenty-One" off the list of recent failed primetime shows as well. It didn't die a natural death, it was murdered. After receiving respectable ratings in its original timeslot, it was deemed a failure by NBC because it wasn't receiving WWTBAM-style ratings. It was moved to another time slot, where after an initial drop in ratings, it managed to hold its own and even improve. Then NBC wound up cancelling the show, even though it was getting higher ratings than any number of shows they didn't cancel.

Let's not forget "Greed", which was cancelled by Fox; they haven't had a single show perform as well since then in its Friday timeslot. "The Chair" and "Winning Lines" were lousy shows. "Weakest Link" was borderline at NBC when they cancelled it. Shows with gameshow-like competition elements like "Fear Factor" and "Survivor" are certainly doing well.

Most new shows fail within a season or two - that's just the way the business is. You wouldn't expect game shows to be any different, and they're not. There will always be more failures than successes. But based on the comments that came out from the networks at the time of WWTBAM's original success, programming executives don't like game shows, and will look for reasons not to program them. If a primetime sitcom fails, no one says that "primetime sitcoms are dead". When WWTBAM's ratings dropped, lots of people said that "primetime gameshows are dead". Then they bring WWTBAM back in a lousy timeslot, and it winds up getting some of ABC's best ratings for the season.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"What The Blank"
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2004, 06:31:28 PM »
Judy Tenuta IS available.

That's a joke, son.

ChuckNet

"What The Blank"
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2004, 10:09:02 PM »
Seeing that The Gong Show isn't even around at the moment it looks like we won't be seeing Judy anytime soon. :-)

A listing search for H2 on Zap2it.com reveals that we may be seeing Judy a lot sooner...how's next wk (5/17) for ya? :-D

Chuck Donegan (The Sadistic "Chuckie Baby")

adamjk

"What The Blank"
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2004, 10:12:53 PM »
Well, H2 is going off the air this year anyway, so they can do whatever they want now.