Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What was Dough Re MI?  (Read 4784 times)

bradhig

What was Dough Re MI?
« on: April 16, 2004, 12:01:54 PM »
I saw a board in quiz show with four gameshows listed on it one was Dough Re Mi? What was that show about and how was it played?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 12:07:32 PM »
The only thing I know personally about it is that Gene Rayburn hosted it and it was musical. The rest...let's go to the Encyclopedia and see what they say:

Three contestants played a three-song game. Three notes to a song were given and players were then allowed to bid from their $200 on the fourth note. Once the bidding closed, whoever guessed the song correctly won money ($100 for the first, $300 for the second, $500 for the third) Now I'm quoting here, "the player who could not guess correctly would recoup half of the money lost by challenging another contestant." If the challenged guessed the resulting song, the challenger lost their bid and the challenged won the value of the song.

Sounds like they left out a few things. You bid money, but get a fixed amount if you're right? Are there episodes of this on the circuit?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 12:28:40 PM »
Don't remember seeing it (though it was the first game show aired after I was born) but Gene Rayburn called DRM "dreadful" when he appeared on "Geraldo."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 02:57:40 PM »
All I remember as a toddler is that it was on after the "Today" show and that mother rushed to turn the TV off when it came on, since she hated most game shows and hated Gene Rayburn.

JayC

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 10:52:43 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 11:07 AM\'] Three contestants played a three-song game. Three notes to a song were given and players were then allowed to bid from their $200 on the fourth note. Once the bidding closed, whoever guessed the song correctly won money ($100 for the first, $300 for the second, $500 for the third) Now I'm quoting here, "the player who could not guess correctly would recoup half of the money lost by challenging another contestant." If the challenged guessed the resulting song, the challenger lost their bid and the challenged won the value of the song.

[/quote]
 Sounds very Name that Tuneish.  Maybe this is how Name That Tune was inspired?

zachhoran

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 10:55:03 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 09:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 11:07 AM\'] Three contestants played a three-song game. Three notes to a song were given and players were then allowed to bid from their $200 on the fourth note. Once the bidding closed, whoever guessed the song correctly won money ($100 for the first, $300 for the second, $500 for the third) Now I'm quoting here, "the player who could not guess correctly would recoup half of the money lost by challenging another contestant." If the challenged guessed the resulting song, the challenger lost their bid and the challenged won the value of the song.

[/quote]
Sounds very Name that Tuneish.  Maybe this is how Name That Tune was inspired? [/quote]
 NTT debuted a few years before DOugh Re Mi.

JayC

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 11:28:20 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 09:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 09:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 11:07 AM\'] Three contestants played a three-song game. Three notes to a song were given and players were then allowed to bid from their $200 on the fourth note. Once the bidding closed, whoever guessed the song correctly won money ($100 for the first, $300 for the second, $500 for the third) Now I'm quoting here, "the player who could not guess correctly would recoup half of the money lost by challenging another contestant." If the challenged guessed the resulting song, the challenger lost their bid and the challenged won the value of the song.

[/quote]
Sounds very Name that Tuneish.  Maybe this is how Name That Tune was inspired? [/quote]
NTT debuted a few years before DOugh Re Mi. [/quote]
 Ohh...  Guess it was just a knockoff attempt of NTT then

Jimmy Owen

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 11:34:25 PM »
The 50's NTT didn't have Bid-a-Note though.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Craig Karlberg

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 03:51:59 AM »
I use to watch that show when I was in upstate New York in the early 1970's(Canadian version most likely).  The only thing I remember about that show was the bonus game where there were the words DO RE MI etc. & there was a sour note.  If a contestant found I think 3 or 5 DOs before hitting a sour note, s/he won a bonus prize package.

sshuffield70

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 12:44:55 PM »
Name That Tune credited Harry Salter for the idea which goes back to radio in the '30s.  Obviously, it's been tinkered with over the many years.

uncamark

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 11:48:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 02:51 AM\']I use to watch that show when I was in upstate New York in the early 1970's(Canadian version most likely).  The only thing I remember about that show was the bonus game where there were the words DO RE MI etc. & there was a sour note.  If a contestant found I think 3 or 5 DOs before hitting a sour note, s/he won a bonus prize package.[/quote]
And guess who produced "Dough Re Mi," kids?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 12:03:15 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 08:48 AM\'] And guess who produced "Dough Re Mi," kids? [/quote]
 Well, obviously B/E, since this whole discussion stemmed from someone seeing the name of the show in the B/E offices in "Quiz Show", but yes, the endgame seems oddly familiar. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 12:29:57 PM »
Stealing from another thread, B/E could have had some fun with combinations....

"It's a musical game of X's and O's that you played as a child, but never quite like this! From Hollywood, it's the game of Tic Tac Dough Re Mi!"

Would have been all fun and games until allegations of rigging...Then, the show would have hit a sour note....[ducks and stays down simply for speaking up]

DrBear

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 03:46:56 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 10:29 AM\'] Stealing from another thread, B/E could have had some fun with combinations....

"It's a musical game of X's and O's that you played as a child, but never quite like this! From Hollywood, it's the game of Tic Tac Dough Re Mi!"

Would have been all fun and games until allegations of rigging...Then, the show would have hit a sour note... [/quote]
 Of course, to be hip, they'd have to include rap...and to get the kids, maybe a creature, like a dragon...no, no game show would EVER have a rapping dragon...
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

BrandonFG

What was Dough Re MI?
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 03:50:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 11:03 AM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 08:48 AM\'] And guess who produced "Dough Re Mi," kids? [/quote]
Well, obviously B/E, since this whole discussion stemmed from someone seeing the name of the show in the B/E offices in "Quiz Show", but yes, the endgame seems oddly familiar. :) [/quote]
 Which would explain how they took a successful game show and added their own twist to it, in this case "Name That Tune."
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!