Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PAX TV's Got Game with Two Original Series  (Read 3056 times)

WhammyPower

PAX TV's Got Game with Two Original Series
« on: April 15, 2004, 10:21:17 AM »

Pyramid80

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 10:28:23 AM »
Maybe these series will be pretty good.  I absolutely love playing Balderdash so I am looking forward to a game show being made of it.

sshuffield70

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 10:30:36 AM »
They might have some winners there.

BTW, this is the PAX network, guys, and this little line got my attention:

PAX TV has placed initial orders for 26 weeks of each of the strip series.

Why can't a certain cable network *cough*GSN*cough* do the same damn thing?!?!

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 10:31:42 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 09:21 AM\'] Quick Link [/quote]
 Balderdash the board game(at least the original version) deals with only defintions IIRC. This will deviate a bit from that. It might be good, if a take-off on Liar's Club and Wordplay and a few other shows.

PAX was supposed to premiere a dating show called Speed Dating last month, but that has yet to be seen.  

My guess is Karn Feud and Gray Weakest Link reruns might be dropped for this, unless of course STYD is not renewed for another season.

WhammyPower

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 10:32:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 08:29 AM\'] The release says primetime, so I would guess an 8 o'clock start, probably bumping a couple of the AFHV airings. [/quote]
 I think they might slash off an AFHV and a WL, personally (2 of each airing on my affiliate)

Bob Zager

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 10:36:26 AM »
I remember reading about a pilot for Balderdash being done back in the mid-1990s, hosted by David Brenner.  Wonder if he'll host the PAX series.

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 10:43:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 09:36 AM\'] I remember reading about a pilot for Balderdash being done back in the mid-1990s, hosted by David Brenner.  Wonder if he'll host the PAX series. [/quote]
 George Gray wouldn't be bad for Balderdash, and more likely to be picked than Brenner, and Todd Newton would be a good choice for On the Cover. Whether PAX chooses them remains to be seen.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 11:35:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 07:28 AM\'] Maybe these series will be pretty good.  I absolutely love playing Balderdash so I am looking forward to a game show being made of it. [/quote]
 I so enjoyed Balderdash on TV the first time, when it was called Wordplay.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SplitSecond

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 01:16:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 08:35 AM\'] I so enjoyed Balderdash on TV the first time, when it was called Wordplay. [/quote]
 Or "Take My Word For It."  Or "Oh My Word."

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 01:27:41 PM »
I think they might slash off an AFHV and a WL, personally (2 of each airing on my affiliate)

Same here in NY...I think they might dump STYD and one of the 2 WLs, but if they decide to put OtC and Balderdash on in primetime, it could be goodbye to AFHV.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

inturnaround

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 02:04:03 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 09:30 AM\'] PAX TV has placed initial orders for 26 weeks of each of the strip series.

Why can't a certain cable network *cough*GSN*cough* do the same damn thing?!?! [/quote]
 C'mon...you don't take lessons on how to be a success from PaxTV.  Bankruptcy, both creative ("Reel to Reel Picture Show") and financial have made it one of the worst "networks" ever. It won't surprise anyone to see it go the way of DuMont.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

sshuffield70

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 02:08:18 PM »
Maybe not, but you'd have thought said networkl would have learned that their low ratings come from rerun abuse.

brianhenke

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 02:26:29 PM »
Maybe not, but you'd have thought said networkl would have learned their low ratings come from rerun abuse.

And when you see their daytime schedule filled with infomercials, infomercials and more infomercials, you know they are in serious trouble financially. I would not be surprised to see a "FOR SALE" sign put out by Paxson Communications soon, even though they just signed an agreement with NBC to develop shows. The financial problems have been obvious since at least Dec. 1999 (remember, it was the producers of RTRPS that had financial difficulties and Pax had to pay for the contestants' prizes), when a much-promoted Millennium Live special was pulled by its promoters at the last minute.

Incidentally, WXIX here picked up Destination Stardom, the taped in Hawaii show that aired 26 weeks on Pax in 2000. How old are they? The hosts say that this is the first new talent show of "the new millennium." Pax aired two talent shows with low ratings - only to see American Idol become a sensation.

Brian

The Jehovah's Witnesses distribute Mad magazine?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

sshuffield70

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 02:31:11 PM »
Uh, Brian....

You might want to re-read my posts.  I don't think GSN airs informercials during the day......

And come to think of it, I don't want anyone to give them any ideas.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 03:35:25 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 01:26 PM\'] Incidentally, WXIX here picked up Destination Stardom, the taped in Hawaii show that aired 26 weeks on Pax in 2000. How old are they? The hosts say that this is the first new talent show of "the new millennium." Pax aired two talent shows with low ratings - only to see American Idol become a sensation.
 [/quote]
 WSKY, Norfolk's independent station, also airs it on weekends. I couldn't remember if it was indeed the PAX show, but it's from spring 2000. As for PAX, from what I keep reading, I'm surprised it's still going. Would it be smart or cost-friendly to do a little game show block of their own, maybe some of the stuff from FAM (Face the Music or Crosswits, anyone?), or even (God forbid) some more Fremantle properties, such as (shudder) MG98.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!