Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: USA's Afternoon Game Block  (Read 17795 times)

trainman

USA's Afternoon Game Block
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2004, 11:55:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 08:49 AM\'] [quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 12:35 PM\'] a direct knockoff of Power Rangers, except with worse production values [/quote]
Now THERE'S a truly frightening concept. [/quote]
 The production values on the current run of "Power Rangers" are surprisingly high compared to earlier versions, including a lot less footage from the Japanese show it's based on.  Part of that is because the non-Japanese portions are now being filmed in New Zealand, with mainly Kiwi actors.

I only know this from closed-captioning it, I swear.
trainman is a man of trains

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2004, 11:56:59 PM »
USA had the best game show block IMO; i think they should bring it back.  the usa game show block rocked.
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

jalman

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2004, 12:08:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 05:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 12:35 PM\'] it was a direct knockoff of Power Rangers, except with worse production values, scripts, and pretty much everything else. [/quote]
Considering that plotting was pretty much a foreign concept to Power Rangers at that time, that is really saying something. [/quote]

Now THERE'S a truly frightening concept.

As a witness to that monstronsity, I can say that I've a little more respect to those who work on Power Rangers.  At least on the Power Rangers there's some...I can't put my finger on it, but the cheeziness of the show was probably more an endearing factor.  I vaguely remember TTAFFBH to be completely dry and too umm...serious?   Thanks for the memories, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH??!!!!

ObGameshow:  I think we're aware of how USA didn't exactly blow their budget in production values with their original game shows, but their least watchable game show could easily be more "Must see TV" than those something...something...uhh...fighters from Beverly Hills.

(Now you got the theme song to that show in my head...Ahh, good tunes, that)

Jamey Greek

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2004, 08:46:04 AM »
lI have a "Fall Preview" TV Guide and I read that USA was supposed to air reruns The Dating Game and The Newlywed Game did that ever happen?  It was from 1984.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2004, 09:02:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 07:46 AM\'] lI have a "Fall Preview" TV Guide and I read that USA was supposed to air reruns The Dating Game and The Newlywed Game did that ever happen?  It was from 1984. [/quote]
No, that never happened.  The two shows did appear in reruns on local stations during that era and new productions of both shows in syndication in 85 (for NG) and 86 (DG) most likely trumped any non-superstation (WOR, WGN, etc.) cable exposure of the shows.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 09:03:33 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2004, 06:25:29 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 12:08 AM\'] As a witness to that monstronsity, I can say that I've a little more respect to those who work on Power Rangers.  At least on the Power Rangers there's some...I can't put my finger on it, but the cheeziness of the show was probably more an endearing factor.  I vaguely remember TTAFFBH to be completely dry and too umm...serious?   Thanks for the memories, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH??!!!!

ObGameshow:  I think we're aware of how USA didn't exactly blow their budget in production values with their original game shows, but their least watchable game show could easily be more "Must see TV" than those something...something...uhh...fighters from Beverly Hills.

(Now you got the theme song to that show in my head...Ahh, good tunes, that) [/quote]
Samurai Pizza Cats, anyone?  OK, that was more a knockoff of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but very cheap.  Not as bad as Tattooed blah blah blah Hills.

ObPowerRangers: The Japanese footage made the PR of old look cheesy, but it was low-cost.  But when Disney took over the franchise, it looks like they brought a little more budget.

Still, I think the Zeo series was the best.

ObOriginalTopic: On the surface, Quicksilver wasn't that bad.  The game itself was clever, but the small, cheap set, a first-time (only-time?) host doubling as announcer, and the theme that was little more than a remixed Shop 'til You Drop prize cue are why it was no TPiR.

Free 4 All, OTOH...well, I liked that theme.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 06:28:39 PM by GS Warehouse »

Casey Buck

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2004, 07:12:55 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 03:25 PM\'] ...a first-time (only-time?) host doubling as announcer [/quote]
 Regis Philbin said "and now, night 124 of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" on WWTBAM's intro.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2004, 07:17:20 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 05:25 PM\']
ObOriginalTopic: On the surface, Quicksilver wasn't that bad.  The game itself was clever, but the small, cheap set, a first-time (only-time?) host doubling as announcer, and the theme that was little more than a remixed Shop 'til You Drop prize cue are why it was no TPiR.

[/quote]
 "Eye Guess" was better.

J.R.

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2004, 08:30:56 PM »
Something I've always wondered.

I notice that USA net's lineup featured a majority in NBC shows (GSN, as we know, has a majority in CBS).

Was NBC more generous back then and/or under diffrent management at the time ?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

zachhoran

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2004, 08:59:21 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 07:30 PM\'] Something I've always wondered.

I notice that USA net's lineup featured a majority in NBC shows (GSN, as we know, has a majority in CBS).

-Joe R. [/quote]
 The network the show aired on originally(if any) has/had nothing to do with whether USA or GSN picked the show up. They more than likely got the rights from whomever owns/owned the show at the time.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2004, 09:04:51 PM »
Well, they did have Pyramid and PYL, so I think it was more of a Goodson-Todman thing, since USA never had a G-T in their line up (unlike CBN).

calliaume

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2004, 09:08:36 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 07:30 PM\'] Something I've always wondered.

[/quote]
 As noted, it has everything to do with the packager and little or nothing to do with the network.

But considering a) ABC was only airing one or two games at the most during the 1980s, and b) the only non-MGP games (Goodson's shows didn't show up on USA, if I recall) to air on CBS from 1980 or so on were Pyramid and Press Your Luck (well, Blackout, but I don't think USA wanted that one), it followed that most of the games would be from the Peacock.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2004, 11:52:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 07:12 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 03:25 PM\'] ...a first-time (only-time?) host doubling as announcer [/quote]
Regis Philbin said "and now, night 124 of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" on WWTBAM's intro. [/quote]
When I said "first-time (and only-time) host", I didn't mean the only time a host was his own announcer.  Stone Stanley used to do that all the time.*  What I meant was, I don't recall seeing the name Ron Maesti since Quicksilver ended.

* But they did need an announcer for StYD.  The contestants had to throw the boxes at someone at the prize table. :-)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 11:52:47 PM by GS Warehouse »

tvrandywest

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2004, 01:27:23 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 07:52 PM\'] When I said "first-time (and only-time) host", I didn't mean the only time a host was his own announcer.  Stone Stanley used to do that all the time.*  What I meant was, I don't recall seeing the name Ron Maesti since Quicksilver ended. [/quote]
 Quick update - I saw Ron last week at an elegant Hollywood landmark temple of drinking.

He spent a year in the late 90s selling as an on-camera QVC host, but he missed the LA action. He's been up for a few game show projects, but they haven't come together. He does an occasional voice-over, but is primarily focused on his new career doing stand-up comedy. As the entrepreneur he always was, besides performing, Ron books the comics and produces the shows.

Idle thoughts: "Quicksilver and "Free-4-All" shared half of the huge stage 9 at KTLA/Hollywood Center/Tribune lot. The cameras just spun 180 degrees to shoot the other show on alternate tape days. That half of stage 9 was also used for "Love Connection" in 1993, and for "Couch Potatoes".

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2004, 01:48:04 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 06:25 PM\'] Still, I think the Zeo series was the best. [/quote]
 Taking this OT, but I'd say the best are Time Force, Wild Force, and the currently-airing Dino Thunder.  (I haven't seen a lot of In Space, though, and most say that's an excellent year, as well.)  The early seasons had great characters, but the writing back then was awful.