Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mr. Game Show  (Read 5905 times)

Pyramid80

Mr. Game Show
« on: April 05, 2004, 09:07:15 PM »
I was just curious how many people on the boards have a Mr. Game Show by Galoob from the mid 80's.

BrandonFG

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 09:24:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Apr 5 2004, 08:07 PM\'] I was just curious how many people on the boards have a Mr. Game Show by Galoob from the mid 80's. [/quote]
 I still have the console, and one of the cassettes. It sits in my closet.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

The Ol' Guy

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 09:41:47 PM »
...I'm in! My kids loved it growing up. I also took his advice and didn't quit my day job...

ChuckNet

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 09:55:09 PM »
I was just curious how many people on the boards have a Mr. Game Show by Galoob from the mid 80's.

I have one that I won off eBay sometime in '98, still in the box...wanted one for Christmas '87 when it was first released, but didn't get it.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
Mr. Game Show
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 10:05:41 PM »
where can i find one? i tried all the stores in the mall and still no luck
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

zachhoran

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 10:08:56 PM »
[quote name=\'JacksonBrowne1980\' date=\'Apr 5 2004, 09:05 PM\'] where can i find one? i tried all the stores in the mall and still no luck [/quote]
 Flea Markets or Ebay are the two most likely bets, as Galoob stopped production on them a decade-plus ago.

The Ol' Guy

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 10:13:43 PM »
You'll have to scout around. It didn't last long after it's introduction. When I first started working at TRU, there were dozens of Mr. Gs lined up on the shelves and marked down. They were very clever and very pricey (does anyone else remember? I thought the original price was close to $99 or so. Correct me if not). If they were actually sold (as compared to sent back to Galoob for credit), I'd think I would have run into more at flea markets and second hand stores. I've maybe seen one since then.

daveromanjr

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 10:15:52 PM »
I actually have two!  My parents bought me one as a Christmas gift when I was younger (but i hope it was after they were initially released).  Man I had a great time playing with it.  When I came across it while cleaning, it brought back a ton of memories, but he was pretty worn, so I bought a new one on eBay for like $20.  It doesn't work too well (they guy did a pretty awful job boxing it) but I still love it.

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
Mr. Game Show
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 10:16:42 PM »
what kind of gadget is it? and what does it do?
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

tommycharles

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 11:05:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Apr 5 2004, 08:07 PM\'] I was just curious how many people on the boards have a Mr. Game Show [/quote]
 I'm fairly sure Mrs. Game Show has one :-)

GSWitch

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 11:17:22 PM »
Boy was I a lucky dog!

Whenever going to San Antonio, there's a thrift store that I would always find something cool!  Three times it happened.

1).  A Shakey's Pizza beer mug (original logo with 4 guys as a barbershop quartet).

2).  NAME THAT TUNE home game featuring George DeWitt.  Came with the record album.  Now that's a collector's item!

3).  MR. GAME SHOW!

Craig Karlberg

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 05:16:49 AM »
I had Mr. Game Show as a Christmas present in 1987 or 1988.  It was a blast!  He simply was a replica of a lifelike emcee that talks just like a real gane show host with a podium & a microphone(?).  It contained 5 or 6 plastic playing surfaces used as either a word game or a Simon Says type game.  There was also a cassette containing his voice that asked questions.  Just pop in the tape & away you go in a quiz show style gane.  Sometimes when you stop the tape, he starts talking again & just won't shut up even if you started the tape again.  I'm not sure where it is now.  It's probably collecting dust at my mom's house.

TPIRkid79

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 09:02:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 04:16 AM\'] I had Mr. Game Show as a Christmas present in 1987 or 1988.  It was a blast!  [/quote]
So did I, Craig! I got Mr. Game Show for X-mas in 1987 too! I and my late father usually played "Famous Phrases" which was played like Wheel of Fortune. You spin the lights, and you guess a letter and if you're right, you write the letter in the blinking boxes. Everytime you're wrong, Mr. GS says "Don't quit your day job yet!" or "Dig a hole and crawl in!" And if your guess time runs out, he says "No guess, no guts!". I remember Mr. GS had four games. Famous Phrases, On the Button, Watch the Word, and The Cassette Game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 09:03:03 AM by TPIRkid79 »

GS Warehouse

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 11:07:15 AM »
[quote name=\'TPIRkid79\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 08:02 AM\'] So did I, Craig! I got Mr. Game Show for X-mas in 1987 too! I and my late father usually played "Famous Phrases" which was played like Wheel of Fortune. You spin the lights, and you guess a letter and if you're right, you write the letter in the blinking boxes. Everytime you're wrong, Mr. GS says "Don't quit your day job yet!" or "Dig a hole and crawl in!" And if your guess time runs out, he says "No guess, no guts!". I remember Mr. GS had four games. Famous Phrases, On the Button, Watch the Word, and The Cassette Game. [/quote]
 "Ouch!  You're busted.  Come on, hand over your money, DH!"

"You win $1,600.  Heck, I spend more than that on hair tonic!"

"You'll get them next time, MO."

I used to have one, but it's relegated to storage in the garage.

Pyramid80

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 01:15:29 PM »
Wow, several people have them.  I bought one a couple of years back on eBay.  My Gus doesn't move around a whole lot.  He moves his mouth but his eyes, head and arms sort of stay in the same place.  I was wondering if anyone who bought one new had any trouble with it.