The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

When did you first hear about GSN?

<< < (4/7) > >>

davemackey:
I was working in cable at the time, so I had an ear pretty close to the development and eventual launch of this network, as well as a parallel channel that IFE (International Family Entertainment) had called The Game Channel that never got off the ground.

IIRC, GSN was originally a three-way partnership between Sony, Liberty Media and Mark Goodson Productions (or whoever owned them at the time, I believe it was All-American by then); hence the early emphasis on the Goodson library.

whampyl03:
It was during those promos durning Wheel and Jeopardy! credits around 1997.  Man, I nearly jumped out of my pants.  I remember allmost everyday asking my Mom to buy a satelight dish so I could watch GSN.  She looked at me like there were snails crawling out of my ears.  I also remember calling my cable operator allmost everyday, asking for GSN, I usually ended up getting cussed out by the operator, or hung up on.  It was like that allmost everyday until March of 2002, when GSN was added to the new-fangled digital cable program.  And I have enjoyed allmost every minute of it.

Jimmy Owen:
I read about the two possible channels in trade magazines and TV Guide before they launched.  Thought FAM's entry would win because they had the on air tryout.  I thought FAM had secured the Bob Stewart library initially and would have shown those if they had gotten off the ground with \"The Game Channel.\"    First time I saw GSN was in 1998. I was shopping at a department store, heard the \"Card Sharks\" theme and headed to the TV department and there on about twenty screens was Jim Perry and the Money Cards.  I then got motivated to upgrade to digital cable and have had GSN since the summer of 1998, so I missed the early days and the dark period.

BrandonFG:
I remember reading a rumor about it c. 1992, then I was watching one of those network morning shows (\"Today,\" GMA), and they were talking about the \"possibilities\" of a 500 channel universe. From that point, I thought about how I desperately wanted to see this \"GSN,\" and I think I caught my first glimpse in December 1997; it was one of those \"game recap\" shows, patterned like Talk Soup. I then caught a 70s TPiR, featuring \"It's Optional.\" From that point to spring 2002, anywhere I went, if they had a satellite or digital cable, I \"casually\" turned to GSN, esp. if I was in a store at the mall. We finally got digital cable on May 15, 2002, and while it was fun seeing some of the shows, what we have now is still just not the same. I used to go out of my way to try to see TJW/TTD, shopping-era Wheel, etc. Now, I just watch Match Game, Dawson Feud, Lingo, and RR, with a few other originals scattered in.

Timsterino:
I first heard of GSN from lurking in ATGS back in 1996. I was so intrigued with the idea of calling up to be a contestant on Super Decades that I purchased the digital tier.

Tim :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version