Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker’s Hollywood home for sale  (Read 1864 times)

cmjb13

Barker’s Hollywood home for sale
« on: March 28, 2024, 02:13:19 PM »
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 02:46:47 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Eric Paddon

Re: Barker’s Hollywood home for sale
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 04:37:25 PM »
And it's perfectly okay to overbid, presumably. :)

chrisholland03

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 06:10:55 PM »
It can be yours if the price is right!

Our niece is a huge fan of the movie Encanto and we've decided it would be an excellent Casita for a family.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 10:16:56 PM »
Honestly $3,000,000 for that house in that location seems like it would be a good investment, especially with the Barker provenance. But I'm guessing the fact that it's an historic landmark and can't be torn down is going to be a deterring factor in finding a buyer; no developers will be interested.

Nick

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 09:54:07 AM »
It's a nice looking house.  'Tis a shame they don't build 'em that nice anymore.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 03:19:51 PM »
Honestly $3,000,000 for that house in that location seems like it would be a good investment, especially with the Barker provenance. But I'm guessing the fact that it's an historic landmark and can't be torn down is going to be a deterring factor in finding a buyer; no developers will be interested.

I think I'd wanna know how much more I would have to drop into fixer-upper-ing. Looking at those pictures I saw some instances of some seriously run-down stuff, and if those are the picture they chose to FEATURE...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 03:32:18 PM »

I think I'd wanna know how much more I would have to drop into fixer-upper-ing. Looking at those pictures I saw some instances of some seriously run-down stuff, and if those are the picture they chose to FEATURE...
They did not show pictures of the kitchen. But from what I heard on, I believe a Rich Fields podcast, the kitchen was unchanged leaving it dated from the 60’s/70’s.

And then there was the stories of Barker housing a rabbit or rabbits in a bedroom. Guess that’s why they didn’t show those either.

Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 04:15:44 PM »
They did not show pictures of the kitchen. But from what I heard on, I believe a Rich Fields podcast, the kitchen was unchanged leaving it dated from the 60’s/70’s.

The rumor (I only know this as a rumor) is that when Dorothy Jo died, that was when Barker stopped making any kind of changes to the décor. I'm sure any major structural issues would have been addressed, but I would not be surprised to hear that the house was largely frozen in the late '70s.

And yep, when I was a page (2004–2005), he was fond of telling the audience stories about his two rabbits and how he ultimately gave them a dedicated room to tear apart.

I'm assuming that, given Barker's complete lack of interest in owning a computer, the house isn't wired for any kind of internet access.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 04:25:11 PM »
I'm assuming that, given Barker's complete lack of interest in owning a computer, the house isn't wired for any kind of internet access.

Prolly, but giving his love of porking the models, I would imagine there is a cable TV run to the master bedroom.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 06:03:56 PM »
I can't give a totally well-informed explanation here, but I can tell you these points...

When Fred Wostbrock died, the person who bought his house immediately tore it down and built a new house.
When Ann Cullen died, the person who bought her house immediately tore it down and built a new house.
When Betty White died, the person who bought her house immediately tore it down and built a new house.

It has something to do with tax incentives, I know that much. But all of the comments about the quality of the house are missing that point--whoever buys this house is buying it for the LAND. I promise you, this house is getting torn down as soon as it's sold.

EDIT: Lazy copy-paste screwed this up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:12:50 PM by Adam Nedeff »

SuperMatch93

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2024, 06:13:26 PM »
I can't give a totally well-informed explanation here, but I can tell you these points...

When Fred Wostbrock died, the person who bought his house immediately tore it down and built a new house.
When Ann Cullen died, the person who bought his house immediately tore it down and built a new house.
When Betty White died, the person who bought his house immediately tore it down and built a new house.

It has something to do with tax incentives, I know that much. But all of the comments about the quality of the house are missing that point--whoever buys this house is buying it for the LAND. I promise you, this house is getting torn down as soon as it's sold.

As far as I'm aware, Barker sought out and received some sort of historical designation for the house that prohibits it being torn down.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2024, 06:26:22 PM »
And then there was the stories of Barker housing a rabbit or rabbits in a bedroom.
(Yeah, Playboy bunnies.)

Dammit, my internal monologue escaped again.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 12:06:23 AM »

When Ann Cullen died, the person who bought his house immediately tore it down and built a new house.
When Betty White died, the person who bought his house immediately tore it down and built a new house.

As far as I'm aware, Barker sought out and received some sort of historical designation for the house that prohibits it being torn down.

That's what all the articles are saying. Developers need not apply.

SamPrainito

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 12:18:13 AM »
I’m just surprised that prior to clearing out the house, there was no estate sale.  I recall there being one at Betty White’s.

cmjb13

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2024, 07:05:54 AM »
I’m just surprised that prior to clearing out the house, there was no estate sale.  I recall there being one at Betty White’s.
I wouldn’t rule out some sort of auction in the future