Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 4 Family Double Dare Questions  (Read 803 times)

GSRebich

4 Family Double Dare Questions
« on: March 26, 2024, 05:44:20 PM »
I have 4 Family Double Dare questions and I know what answer might be, I'll ask them anyway:

• Why was the amount for the toss-up challenge reduced from the 'dare' value on the FOX version ($50) to the normal value ($25)?
  • Why was the house minimum for the losing team reduced from the FOX version's value ($500) to the regular kids version's value ($100)?
  • How come the 'cash obstacle' from the version wasn't carried over to the Nickeldeon value?
  • And finally, how come the grand prize in the obstacle course changed back to a trip in the second Nick season from a new car in the FOX version and first Nick season (although the grand prize was changed back to a car in the "Tournament of Champions" episode)?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: 4 Family Double Dare Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 05:48:17 PM »
Budget, budget, budget, budget.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 05:54:48 PM »
Chris P. isn't wrong specifically, but several of those issues can resolve by moving from the FOX network to Nickelodeon which is on cable.

As a youngin' I noticed the move from a car/van to trip; my guess is that more teams were winning the Obstacle Course than there were cars budgeted for, and cash can't be paid for by promotional consideration.
Travis L. Eberle

vtown7

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 07:03:54 AM »
I suspect as well, as least from where the kids stand, that you could have offered a candy bar as the Obstacle #8 prize and the kids would have still been thrilled to playing Double Dare.  It seems to me they were just happy to be having fun and getting messy - something they couldn't have likely been allowed to do in their homes to the extent of the show.

As well, Marc has stated on (numerous?) occasion(s) that at least one parent went bonkers when their kid didn't end up grabbing the flag to win the grand prize - greed isn't something that played well at all on any version of DD IMHO.

R.

/side note: Go see "Life and Slimes" before it closes on June 2nd!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 01:35:10 PM »
As well, Marc has stated on (numerous?) occasion(s) that at least one parent went bonkers when their kid didn't end up grabbing the flag to win the grand prize - greed isn't something that played well at all on any version of DD IMHO.
Just my opinion, but I thought the show was better when it was kids only.  I get there’s a certain charm to dad getting slimed, but I thought the proceedings ground to a halt with the more elaborate setups, etc.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chrisholland03

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 01:54:06 PM »
Just my opinion, but I thought the show was better when it was kids only.  I get there’s a certain charm to dad getting slimed, but I thought the proceedings ground to a halt with the more elaborate setups, etc.

This.  And for the reason Ryan made.  The parents were too focused on the payoff and the fun was lost.  Everyone would have been better served putting the parents under the slime buckets and out of the game.