Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Proposed format for Concentration  (Read 2188 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Proposed format for Concentration
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2024, 02:52:58 PM »
One thing I miss from the original is the Forfeit cards.

Granted, the show would throw in cheap gag gifts on the board to use in the forfeits, but occasionally you had situations where a player had to part with a decent prize to fulfill the forfeit.

Using forfeits in modern day games, when all prizes are decent would throw in another layer of strategy for players.
What strategy? Don't match an exposed forfeit?
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2024, 03:11:52 PM »
A while back, I posted in a Discord server a dream I had regarding a new format for Concentration, and this seems like the appropriate place to share it:

-Two games of Concentration are played with two different players each game.
-The winner of each game returns for a playoff round called the "Three-bus." A rebus is revealed piece by piece (randomly, not in order) and the first player to buzz in with the correct answer wins a point. A wrong answer reveals the whole puzzle to your opponent, CC sudden death-style. Three points and you win the day.

My dream didn't contain a bonus round, but one I've thought of in the past is basically Quintuple Play. You get 30 seconds to solve five fully revealed rebuses. $250 for each one, $10,000 if you get all five.

Was the above a dream or a nightmare? You decide!
Threebus is a great name!

I think we're dealing with a similar issue with timing for this version. Assuming we're trying to fit this into 22 minutes, you're adding a whole new element- a playoff- into a show that often called time halfway into the second puzzle. Maybe if you reduce the size of the rebus again (20 spaces?) maybe we can fit all of that in.

Do you think that it would be too short a format for an hour? Most newer network shows are that length anyway.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2024, 10:00:17 AM »
Using forfeits in modern day games, when all prizes are decent would throw in another layer of strategy for players.
What strategy? Don't match an exposed forfeit?
Would you be willing to match a forfeit and give up a great prize for an important piece of the puzzle?

Granted, everyone's prize hierarchy is different, but I'd be down for it even being "forfeit your turn". For example, if we make it clear from the jump that the forfeit spaces are on top of very important pieces of the puzzle, you could make the match with the understanding that you get that guess, but you lose your turn if you can't solve the puzzle.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Neumms

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2024, 05:24:52 PM »
Between the matching and the puzzle, Concentration has enough going on it doesn’t need Forfeits in the way.

I’ve been watching Classic Concentration fairly often on Buzzr and have been struck by how often Alex has to start explaining the puzzle so someone gets it. Might that be worse today and make a reboot problematic? I don’t know how you’d dumb down rebuses how they did the Pyramid.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 12:20:10 AM »
Between the matching and the puzzle, Concentration has enough going on it doesn’t need Forfeits in the way.

I’ve been watching Classic Concentration fairly often on Buzzr and have been struck by how often Alex has to start explaining the puzzle so someone gets it. Might that be worse today and make a reboot problematic? I don’t know how you’d dumb down rebuses how they did the Pyramid.

You really can't dumb down rebuses, though I suppose you could start by giving away the category. Furthermore, you also may have to reteach the common symbols to contestants if you're talking a daily series.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2024, 08:38:26 AM »
I imagine if the show was to ever come back, they'd find a way to shrink the rebuses to 16 squares, not an increase.
@lambertman

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2024, 07:19:21 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm still stuck on the idea that anyone would think a fifty-square board would be good television in ANY way whatsoever.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe