Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts in the intro?  (Read 2927 times)

Winkfan

Re: Hosts in the intro?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2024, 11:29:42 PM »
During the 1955-56 season of Beat The Clock, Bud would describe a bit about the first stunt to be played on that week's episode; and then they would get into the "mouse" opening.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 06:43:21 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Loogaroo

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2024, 04:46:50 PM »
On various episodes of Fun House, JD Roth would either tease one of the stunts that was on the docket that day or announce the theme for that given episode.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

That Don Guy

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2024, 06:38:32 PM »
There is at least one episode of G.E. College Bowl from around 1960 (the one that I know of was two weeks before Princess Margaret's wedding) that begins with the host reading the first question before the normal introduction.

calliaume

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024, 11:41:43 AM »
I suppose 1969-1978 To Tell the Truth doesn't count, as the host is introduced at the very top of the show, but he's often seen before the introduction.

Neumms

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2024, 12:49:58 PM »
I suppose 1969-1978 To Tell the Truth doesn't count, as the host is introduced at the very top of the show, but he's often seen before the introduction.

This always struck me as odd since the introduction of the challengers was so iconic, but I suppose they only had one set of doors for them and the panel. Still, Garry got to enter first on I’ve Got a Secret, too, and the panel got short shrift. Do you suppose Garry demanded it this way?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2024, 02:29:46 PM »
This always struck me as odd since the introduction of the challengers was so iconic, but I suppose they only had one set of doors for them and the panel. Still, Garry got to enter first on I’ve Got a Secret, too, and the panel got short shrift. Do you suppose Garry demanded it this way?

That seems unlikely.  It's hard to overstate what an enormous television star Garry had been.  His 50s daytime show basically printed money for himself and CBS, I've Got a Secret was routinely a top-ten series for many years, and his evening variety series was successful too.  Producers treated him like a star because he was a star.  That was reflected in the opening of TTTT, where the announcer introduced him, and not the show.  I know that's not what the OP was looking for, but I don't know of any other examples of that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

whewfan

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2024, 06:00:50 PM »
I recall at some point when Bill Cullen was a fill in host after Garry's retirement, the panel was introduced first, then Bill. I guess they thought it was awkward that Bill was already there, seated, and couldn't really make an entrance in the same way he did when he was a panelist. I think the producers just made this change for the second run because Garry Moore isn't Bud Collyer. Bud played it straight, and Garry liked doing bits at the start, so it's just a way for Garry to make the show his own.

Neumms

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2024, 05:44:59 PM »
It's hard to overstate what an enormous television star Garry had been.  His 50s daytime show basically printed money for himself and CBS, I've Got a Secret was routinely a top-ten series for many years, and his evening variety series was successful too.

Yeah, that’s a lot more likely. Gosh, he was head and shoulders above Collyer. Thanks, Matt.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2024, 09:41:50 AM »
Bill Cullen (and maybe Jack Paar, never saw his version), Bank On The Stars
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

chargeradiocom

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2024, 03:35:38 PM »
Bob Eubanks gave a teaser question during part of Trivia Trap’s run. Post-format change, IIRC.

TimK2003

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2024, 07:20:15 PM »
Bob Eubanks gave a teaser question during part of Trivia Trap’s run. Post-format change, IIRC.

Speaking of Bob, I completely forgot about his All Star Secrets -- he led off the show with a secret before Charlie O. announced the celebrities.

mmb5

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2024, 07:42:09 PM »
Didn't Arte Johnson do cold opens on Knockout?
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2024, 07:55:46 PM »
On the Gary Kroeger season of Newlywed Game, he would tease a juicy fact about one of the couples.

There was a point during Meredith's run of Millionaire where she recapped the contestants' run up to that point. Christian Carrion comes to mind.

Can we count Tom Bergeron (and Whoopi) arriving to the "party" during the first couple seasons of HSq?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2024, 11:29:09 PM »
Didn't Arte Johnson do cold opens on Knockout?

Yes.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!