Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New CBS daytime soap in development?!?  (Read 4073 times)

Casey Buck

New CBS daytime soap in development?!?
« on: March 06, 2024, 05:18:10 PM »
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/cbs-naacp-soap-opera-the-gates-bold-and-the-beautiful-writer-1235932548/

I'm stunned. Apparently, CBS is zigging where everyone else is zagging. But seriously, a new soap on broadcast and not streaming? It's the first new soap on CBS in nearly 40 years (and the first new soap overall in 25 years)!

I would think that if anything would be new on CBS daytime, it would be a game show. But hey, I guess daytime TV is back! :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 08:03:12 PM by Casey Buck »

SuperMatch93

Re: New CBS daytime soap in development?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 07:28:52 PM »
I assume this would replace The Talk, should that go off?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TimK2003

CBS Considering New Daytime Soap Opera...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 02:27:13 AM »
...which brings an interesting situation:

It seems unlikely CBS will demand their affiliates give back 30 or 60 minutes of daytime programming back to network control.

So what might CBS be looking to cancel to make room for this new soap opera?  Will they ax The Talk or pare it down to a 30 minute show (if the new soap opera is only 30 minutes), or are they looking to send LMAD into retirement, as Price is still garnering acceptable ratings?

As the article does not indicate the length of this new show, nor when/how CBS will fit it into their daytime schedule, let the speculation begin.

LINK HERE:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/cbs-gates-black-daytime-soap-opera-1235844567/

steveleb

Re: CBS Considering New Daytime Soap Opera...
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 05:13:50 AM »
Given the uncertain nature of CBS and Paramount and who the management team is I strongly believe this news was released just to appease politicos.  If anything it could be B and B that’s at risk.  But right now I highly doubt this will ever happen.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 01:13:56 PM »
Maybe put it in syndication thru CBS Paramount to replace Drew Barrymore or DrPhil reruns
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Loogaroo

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 01:24:47 PM »
I can't imagine soap operas being more cost-effective than whatever show they'd want to replace. The number of actors and writers required to keep even a 30-minute 5-a-week serial going would probably outpace whatever it would take to produce a show with a single set, segment producers instead of writers, and no more than 4-5 regular on-camera personalities.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 03:42:31 PM »
I can't imagine soap operas being more cost-effective than whatever show they'd want to replace. The number of actors and writers required to keep even a 30-minute 5-a-week serial going would probably outpace whatever it would take to produce a show with a single set, segment producers instead of writers, and no more than 4-5 regular on-camera personalities.

So ratings-wise, as far as CBS Daytime goes, what shows currently have the weakest ratings.  Are there any shows that have been noticibly dropping in ratings over the last year?

I know the ratings for some of the programs are tricky as some air LMAD and TPIR back-to-back mornings, while -- like in my market ‐‐ Price airs in the mid morning (10AM) and Deal is an afternoon offering airing between B&B & The Talk.

steveleb

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 04:49:24 PM »
The more I read between the lines and the connections to the ill fated nbc failure generations the more I am convinced this is appeasement for a veteran producer who still carries a grudge and seized upon opportunity to get this announcement.  There is absolutely no financial model on Rhys day and age that makes sense considering that bold and beautiful is still a profitable global franchise   I am sorry I don’t ever see this becoming a reality

steveleb

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 05:02:42 PM »
From my understanding cbs ratings have been consistent.  Older skewing to be sure but no significant declines beyond the broadcast ecosystem.  And not necessarily via a black audience especially outside the owned and operated stations.  And I honestly don’t see how a new soap opera that will likely need to be populated with unknowns is going to change that.  And from what I do know of the broad audience that supports price and y and r a show that publicizes its niche will hardly be complimentary to the breadth of audience that cbs relies upon.

Read how tersely the NBC rep had to defend his network’s position —after a year of third place ratings 35 years ago—had to defend his accurate judgement to a disbelieving fan base charged by the very same show runner who is pushing THE GATES.  A handful of large city fans who attempted a campaign to save it that fell on deaf ears.  And that was then.  We’re in far more ratings and tolerance challenged times.

Short of the NAACP and P and G fully paying for the production and casting to make it a viable CBS deal I truly don’t see this as anything more than a make nice

rebelwrest

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 06:19:45 PM »
It seems unlikely CBS will demand their affiliates give back 30 or 60 minutes of daytime programming back to network control.

So what might CBS be looking to cancel to make room for this new soap opera?  Will they ax The Talk or pare it down to a 30 minute show (if the new soap opera is only 30 minutes), or are they looking to send LMAD into retirement, as Price is still garnering acceptable ratings?

As the article does not indicate the length of this new show, nor when/how CBS will fit it into their daytime schedule, let the speculation begin.

Remember when ABC and NBC announced that at 1PM Eastern they will be airing a newscast? Was there a peep out of the affiliates about wanting that hour given to them?
When I was researching that, I was reminded of when NBC was planning to give 10PM Eastern to the affiliates.  Is there a point that if a network requests time taken back from the affiliates, the affiliates will let them because they can't make a profit at that time?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Stackertosh

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 11:50:19 PM »
I don't see them canceling The Talk, The Talk is doing well in the ratings. i can see them moving it to 4pm in the old Dr Phil slot. Cbs in Philadelphia starting at 4pm has 2 and a half hours of local news followed by the CBS evening news. I wish Cbs would pick up person place or thing.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 11:55:26 PM »
CBS offers LMAD at either 10 am or 3 pm. Make 10 am LMAD’s official time slot and it becomes the lead-in and true companion to TPiR. Move The Talk to 3; air The Gates at 2.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 12:12:19 AM »
No CBS station is going to want to give an hour back to the network.

And last I read, The Talk is the lowest rated show in all of daytime, so I wouldn't say it's getting good numbers.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 04:50:12 AM »
i can see them moving it to 4pm in the old Dr Phil slot.

There is no such thing as "the old Dr. Phil slot."  Dr. Phil was syndicated.

aaron sica

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 08:57:02 AM »
No CBS station is going to want to give an hour back to the network.

And last I read, The Talk is the lowest rated show in all of daytime, so I wouldn't say it's getting good numbers.

If this actually comes to fruition, I could see The Talk as the show being replaced. Considering Y&R just got renewed, and B&B is doing fine, I can't imagine either one of those would get replaced by another soap.