Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2024 Jeopardy Honors  (Read 1108 times)

Jeremy Nelson

2024 Jeopardy Honors
« on: February 19, 2024, 10:52:36 PM »
The 2024 Honors are here.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3jNIeZtfGy/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

This is a show that doesn't need to give out additional awards for minor accomplishments. You wanna be remembered? Go on a winning streak. Set a record. Win the ToC, and even some of those winners have fallen into relative obscurity.

Even some of the awards are duplicative of the accomplishment that warranted the award. Juveria Zaheer is Breakout Player of the Year. You know what else punctuates that she became a breakout player? She won $100,000 and a tourney bid. That's the trophy. The Wild Card was done in order to pick out a deserving player from the middle of the pack who could hang with tougher competition.

These awards punctuate the problem that I have with the podcast, the long tournaments and the like- Jeopardy creates peronalities through those who accomplish in a major way. This isn't any shade to those who won awards- get your trophy. But there is no need to manufacture new personalities on a show where 2/3 of its players, by design, immediately fall into the ether each day.

I can totally recognize that I'm on one today. But it's frustrating to watch this show do so much while accomplishing nothing.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: 2024 Jeopardy Honors
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 11:11:10 PM »
It feels more than a bit like the various categories that took up space in my high school year book. Best signature? Best style? Ok then.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 01:48:47 AM »
They did get a little crazy with some of the categories. I don’t think anybody is going to deny that. But they did have the ones you would probably consider obvious/necessary, so there ya go.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chrisholland03

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 07:47:34 AM »
I thought it was kinda fun and unusual.  And apparently generating conversation. 

colonial

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 09:25:53 AM »
It was also mentioned on the Inside Jeopardy podcast that Steven Dorfman, who wrote around 50,000 clues for Jeopardy from 1984 until his death in 2004, was inducted into the show's Hall of Fame.

I don't mind events like this -- reminds me of quizbowl tournaments where prizes are handed out to "most entertaining team" and "worst answer."

JD

Loogaroo

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 02:53:31 PM »
This seems like more fuel for the "they want to turn Jeopardy! into a sport" fire, if you ask me. Hot off the heels of the NFL Honors, no less.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Sodboy13

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 11:15:37 PM »
This seems like more fuel for the "they want to turn Jeopardy! into a sport" fire, if you ask me. Hot off the heels of the NFL Honors, no less.

The "Jeopardy is a sport" hook that Davies is trying to land might be more effective if it didn't feel so much like the sport he was closest to emulating was Calvinball. Or perhaps with this year's format of tournament upon tournament upon tournament, BASEketball.

All playoffs and no regular season makes sports fans change the channel.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation