Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cullen TPIR on BUZZR  (Read 1396 times)

Argo

Cullen TPIR on BUZZR
« on: February 17, 2024, 07:30:43 PM »
Hi All,

I've been watching a lot of Cullen TPIR these days and noticed some of them are much clearer than I remember. Did BUZZR redigitize the kinescopes or whatever they're archived on, or maybe cleaned them in post? Either that or they were just better quality kines in the first place.

I've even seen episodes on BUZZR's official YouTube channel with GSN commercials, which is slightly odd, but I guess saves them from archiving them again.

m
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 09:05:49 PM by Argo »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: Cullen TPIR on BUZZR
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 03:52:51 PM »
Do you see a difference between the NBC and ABC kinescopes?

Argo

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 05:07:08 PM »
So far a bunch of NBC episodes from around 61-62 that I've been watching from BillCullenNet's YouTube. I know that's not a good indication and depends on the upload, but even from the HD ones captured from BUZZR, some kinescopes are much better quality than I'm used to seeing, in terms of contrast and focus. That got me thinking if the better quality was a result of BUZZR converting and retouching episodes that GSN didn't already do, or if the kines were just in better shape or recorded better in the first place.

Since this isn't the video forum I won't post youtubes, but March 8, 1961 is a particular great quality episode. Other March '61 episodes are a bit better than most as well. I'm only seeing BUZZR versions of these so I can't compare them to GSN, unless they didn't air them.

m

Eric Paddon

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 01:53:48 AM »
There is one distinct difference between NBC and ABC kinescopes.   On NBC, the show originally aired in color but on ABC they were in black and white and you can always tend to notice a difference between a kinescope of a program that first aired in color as opposed to one that first aired in black and white.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 02:05:38 AM »
On NBC, the show originally aired in color but on ABC they were in black and white and you can always tend to notice a difference between a kinescope of a program that first aired in color as opposed to one that first aired in black and white.

That also explains why episodes from the last seasons of CBS WML and IGAS have that odd washed-out look to them compared to earlier episodes.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983