Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nerdy GSN/I've Got a Secret question  (Read 761 times)

Matt Ottinger

Nerdy GSN/I've Got a Secret question
« on: February 10, 2024, 10:13:50 PM »
Nerdy even for THIS group, but I've become obsessed.

I've found a reference to a silly incident in a 1953 episode that I strongly feel like I've seen before, even though it's from an episode that's never been re-aired in its entirety.  According to the newspaper article, Bill Cullen is playfully upset because guest Peter Lawford kissed his wife in public. So he turns to a fellow panelist (presumably Jayne Meadows), kisses her, turns to the camera and says, "Two can play at that game, you know!"

I want to say that maybe it was part of an early GSN promo built around Bill.  Does anyone else have this memory, or (even better) could point me to the existence of it on a recording?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SuperMatch93

Re: Nerdy GSN/I've Got a Secret question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 10:24:42 PM »
Here's the ad you're thinking of:

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 10:32:43 PM »
Perfect, thank you.  The episode is from July 8, 1953.  It's only the second episode in the run sponsored by Cavalier Cigarettes, and as I said in the original post, they never aired the full episode.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 10:57:02 PM »
You're quite welcome. Did GSN ever air any of the Cavalier-sponsored episodes? I recall reading somewhere that they blurred out some of the set pieces that had cigarette brand names early on.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 12:52:19 AM »
Did GSN ever air any of the Cavalier-sponsored episodes? I recall reading somewhere that they blurred out some of the set pieces that had cigarette brand names early on.

Cavalier sponsored the show from July of 1953 until February of 1955, and to the best of my knowledge, GSN has aired only nine of those.  Buzzr has put a tenth on YouTube, and there are a few others I've acquired through other means.  Winston sponsored the show for years after that, and I can't do the math right away on how many of those GSN has aired.  Not many.  Dozens out of hundreds. 

I don't recall any entire episodes where the on-set logos were blurred out, but it wouldn't surprise me that brief clips that were featured on highlight shows would have the logos blurred.