Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: After Midnight observations  (Read 3112 times)

whewfan

After Midnight observations
« on: February 03, 2024, 08:01:58 AM »
First observation, I saw some of a recent episode with Jerry O'Connell on the panel, and it seems the producers feel the show needs more clarity, so now the show has a "Pyramid" style opening with clips from past shows before the show starts.

Second observation... producers, if you want to secure Taylor Tomlinson's career and also, her dignity, NEVER have Jerry O'Connell on the show again! He's just not funny! He buzzes in before he even HAS a response, then struggles to come up with anything remotely funny. It was painful to watch.

BrandonFG

Re: After Midnight observations
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 11:04:42 AM »
From what I understand, as we get closer to the Super Bowl the guests will get better. But we’re going into week 4 and this is one of the few shows that air in order. Just relax and let them find their footing. Even Taylor has made fun of people judging the show too soon. If you remember Conan O’Brien and Jimmy Fallon were abysmal when their shows first started.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

whewfan

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 02:52:58 PM »
Taylor is doing just fine. The guests are going to be hit and miss. One of the segments I saw on this episode was "Talk Show" where Taylor simply asks questions to the guest as if they're on a talk show. Not a lot of laughs, and now we know why After Midnight ISN'T a talk show. I also think Smash or Not Smash is too subjective and a waste of time. I guess they'll figure out which segments work best and there are bound to be klunkers. Just as there have been pricing games on TPIR that were klunkers.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 03:17:12 PM »
I see.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 09:10:02 AM »
.....Jimmy Fallon were still is abysmal......

Nice guy, lousy talk show host.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 02:22:24 PM »
Taylor is doing just fine. The guests are going to be hit and miss. One of the segments I saw on this episode was "Talk Show" where Taylor simply asks questions to the guest as if they're on a talk show. Not a lot of laughs, and now we know why After Midnight ISN'T a talk show.

For a guy who fancies himself a comedian, your utter inability to get the joke is really truly staggering.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 03:42:16 PM »
.....Jimmy Fallon were still is abysmal......

Nice guy, lousy talk show host.
In the next 10 years, I wonder what late night will look like? The last few years of Conan's TBS show was reduced to 30 minutes because he realized people don't really care about full interviews* as much. When you have someone like Fallon who laughs at everything from a celebrity simply there to promote a movie, the interview feels even less organic than it already is.

*I do like the podcast tho

Loogaroo

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 05:34:31 PM »
In the next 10 years, I wonder what late night will look like?

You can say the same thing about most non-news studio television productions. With everything migrating to streaming (even sports is starting to make its way there, such as the Peacock-only NFL playoff game that was played last month) there's a completely different paradigm being built around on-demand entertainment that I'm not sure every form of television will be able to adapt to.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 09:28:35 AM »
Taylor is doing just fine. The guests are going to be hit and miss. One of the segments I saw on this episode was "Talk Show" where Taylor simply asks questions to the guest as if they're on a talk show. Not a lot of laughs, and now we know why After Midnight ISN'T a talk show.

For a guy who fancies himself a comedian, your utter inability to get the joke is really truly staggering.

No, I get it... the segment was a demonstration of WHY After Midnight isn't a talk show, and as a result the segment doesn't get any laughs. The non laughs were deliberate. The show responds to criticisms and if I'm not mistaken, one of them was that a show of this format replaced a long string of talk show formats, so they put a "talk show" segment in.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 10:13:38 AM »
They’re not responding to criticisms as much as they’re mocking people going after a show that hasn’t even been on the air for a month. I’m genuinely curious, why does the show’s format have you losing this much sleep? It’s a reboot of a show from 10 years ago where celebrities give humorous responses to viral content. Some comments are funnier than others, but again see the part about how it hasn’t even been a month. Growth and all.

{AT&T}It’s not complicated.{/AT&T}

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 10:41:08 AM »
The non laughs were deliberate.

"Let's put four funny people on a stage and get them to not be funny."

"You mean, on purpose?"

"Yeah.  Won't that be great?"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

whewfan

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 11:07:48 AM »
The non laughs were deliberate.

"Let's put four funny people on a stage and get them to not be funny."

"You mean, on purpose?"

"Yeah.  Won't that be great?"

Another thing I said that was misinterpreted... I didn't mean that the celebs were deliberately not giving funny responses. I meant the response to the bit didn't seem to get much laughs. Maybe I should just say "Okay I'm wrong" and forget the whole thing.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 11:25:37 AM »
Maybe I should just say "Okay I'm wrong" and forget the whole thing.

Now you're catching on.

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2024, 11:26:55 AM »
this format replaced a long string of talk show formats, so they put a "talk show" segment in.

It's actually not very long. The 12:35 timeslot ("The Late Late Show") only had 4 hosts, dating back to January 1995.

whewfan

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2024, 12:54:16 PM »
this format replaced a long string of talk show formats, so they put a "talk show" segment in.

It's actually not very long. The 12:35 timeslot ("The Late Late Show") only had 4 hosts, dating back to January 1995.

Okay, format is the wrong word... what I meant was that The Late Late Show had been on for a very long time... not many hosts, but certainly many years.

Tune in tomorrow... what else will Matt say wrong, and who will be the first to correct him?... That's called self-deprecating humor in the comedy business.