Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Jaleel White Game Show For Fall 24.  (Read 6068 times)

steveleb

Re: New Jaleel White Game Show For Fall 24.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2024, 03:14:24 PM »
it's entirely possible that they expand their block to actually HELP FYSA, and "own" vs. rent from Byron.

Remember Byron has a whole bunch of stations, so if they wind up carrying FLIP SIDE as well, don't be surprised.

From the description, it sounds like something that GSN probably had pitched several times as a replacement for AMERICA SAYS but couldn't or wouldn't deal, so Dave and Clive took their idea to someone who was ready.

I've heard worse elevator pitches that made it to air.

I wish them good luck, and hope when Jaleel appears at 90s cons that he promotes it.

SwohS Emag

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2024, 10:15:30 AM »
hmmmm, sold to CBS station group, me thinks the hosts of "The Talk" are getting their demo tapes in order. 

As much as I'd love for that hour to be replaced with a game show, this probably means that the duopoly stations of the group (WLIG-55 in NYC, WPSG-57 in Philly, KCAL-9 in LA for example) are going to be the ones that air it.

Totally agree. In fact I’d bet that at least in the first case, that deposes Funny You Should Ask in the 4 PM slot.

WCBS’ lineup is pretty well set for the long term, and I don’t see them dropping anything to make room for a new game show. Unless Hot Bench isn’t doing well enough in the afternoon, if they were to pick it up I would have to imagine it would get the time slot that befell Sex Wars, Match Game 98, and the second season of Weakest Link (2:07 AM).

Was trying not to resurrect a really old thread to ask this question:  Has Funny You Should Ask been removed from broadcast syndication?  I searched a sample of listings in major markets and cannot find it. WPSG in Philadelphia, for example, has removed it from the 9am hour.  The show is supposedly airing new episodes this week. (Source: https://syndication.extremereach.com/library/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2024/01/HD-FYSAA7056A.pdf)

Since it just had a primetime CBS airing, the removal comes as a surprise, though I'm not sure that the show will be missed.

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2024, 10:42:11 AM »
Still airing in Norfolk/Virginia Beach on WGNT from 2-3 pm. We’re in the 40s for DMA rankings, but it does still air.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 11:17:37 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2024, 10:53:48 AM »
It’s also still on WLNY at 4:00 PM.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SwohS Emag

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2024, 11:41:17 AM »
It’s also still on WLNY at 4:00 PM.

OK thanks everyone.  (Could I trouble one of you to share the contestant names on today's primary run episode?)

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2024, 11:58:41 AM »
Setting a reminder in my phone.

EDIT: Antonio and Krista.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 02:03:05 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Allstar87

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2024, 01:01:02 PM »
FYSA is still available on WRDQ in Central Florida; single run show at 6PM, double run show at 4AM. (And weekend airings at 6:30 PM, as well!)

gamed121683

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2024, 02:54:01 PM »
Wow! Where I live, FYSA and 25 Words or Less were pulled from our local affiliate a couple of months ago and it was replaced by local news. Thank goodness I can at least find the latter on YouTube and Tubi, but still...

SwohS Emag

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2024, 03:14:22 PM »
Setting a reminder in my phone.

EDIT: Antonio and Krista.

Thanks very much for this info!  I'm going to see if the same run exists on TheGrio.  It's almost impossible to tell from listing guides.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2024, 03:30:24 PM »
Assuming the listings I have are correct, The Grio is on a one-week delay from the daily syndie run (and Comedy.tv's run is seven weeks behind).
@lambertman

SwohS Emag

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2024, 05:01:03 PM »
Assuming the listings I have are correct, The Grio is on a one-week delay from the daily syndie run (and Comedy.tv's run is seven weeks behind).

Thanks for the info.  I had heard (but don't remember the source...either GSF or GSP) that Comedy.tv ran the new first-run episodes one week prior to their broadcast syndication runs, though that practice may have changed. 

They have aired just south of 350 episodes since 2017, despite it being double-run in some markets!  That's what you would expect a sitcom to do, not a game show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2024, 07:25:40 PM »
They have aired just south of 350 episodes since 2017, despite it being double-run in some markets!  That's what you would expect a sitcom to do, not a game show.

Okay, stop and think about this for a second.

First, for the purposes of your statement above, expand "sitcom" to "half-hour syndicated strip programming." So sitcoms, court shows, etc. Agreed that's the same concept you were going for?

What is practically *every other program that comes out of Entertainment Studios*?

They don't call it "the Walmart of television production" for nothing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2024, 07:41:36 PM »
I think the point Swohs is making is that Entertainment Studios has only cranked out ~350 episodes over 6.5 seasons. Unless their seasons are only 13 weeks at a time like GSN or basic cable, that is pretty paltry.

Forgot where I read it, but I vaguely recall some stations were pretty upset they haven't received enough new episodes over the years. Given the time slots (the primary episode usually aired in the mornings or late afternoons here), I think this is a little different than Comics Unleashed airing at 1 am.

SwohS Emag

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2024, 10:52:59 PM »
I think the point Swohs is making is that Entertainment Studios has only cranked out ~350 episodes over 6.5 seasons. Unless their seasons are only 13 weeks at a time like GSN or basic cable, that is pretty paltry.

Forgot where I read it, but I vaguely recall some stations were pretty upset they haven't received enough new episodes over the years. Given the time slots (the primary episode usually aired in the mornings or late afternoons here), I think this is a little different than Comics Unleashed airing at 1 am.

Yes, I think that it is common practice for game shows to produce at least 100 episodes a year (and more commonly 130 - 180), especially if it is airing in broadcast syndication as opposed to on a cable network.  Sitcoms and their reruns can get away with the same 100 episodes run ad nauseam, however I cannot think of another show to hold down a slot for almost seven years and rerunning the same relatively few shows.  I had not paid much attention to ES products until Funny You Should Ask started, so consider me in general "shock" that this practice works so well for Byron.  And that CBS picked up Comics Unleashed recently albeit temporarily shows how bargain-basement linear television has become.  I remain grateful for the 25WOLiverse for giving us something new and original in this area in the past few years.

PS - real name Patrick. 

Allstar87

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2024, 11:22:38 PM »
I had heard (but don't remember the source...either GSF or GSP) that Comedy.tv ran the new first-run episodes one week prior to their broadcast syndication runs, though that practice may have changed. 

That was me...I know that was true in fall 2022, but unfortunately Comedy.tv is the one Byron channel I don't get anymore, so I can't tell you what they're doing these days.

It tends to vary quite a bit, but season 1 was their largest. It's technically not even 6.5 seasons, since they didn't make any new episodes for two of them.

Season 1, 2017-2018: 128 episodes
Season 2, 2018-2019: 62 episodes (including 2 that were held back from season 1 that still used "Happy")
Season 3, 2019-2020: 48 episodes
(No new episodes for two seasons; season 1 reruns are redubbed with the new theme in fall 2021)
Season 4, 2022-2023: 77 episodes

So yeah, the stations do have a point here. I'm guessing Louie Anderson's passing was the kick in the pants that got the show back into production; pretty darn hard to look evergreen when one of the regular panelists is no longer with us.