Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chuck E. Cheese game show (for adults) in the works  (Read 5143 times)

That Don Guy

Re: Chuck E. Cheese game show (for adults) in the works
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2024, 10:24:09 PM »
Question: did Chuck E. Cheeses have Skee-Ball?
Absolutely yes.  I am willing to wager hard earned money on "alley roller" in the article is the trademark-free equivalent of Skee-Ball.

Looks like you're right, based on a quick Internet search. Strange - I don't think I have heard the term "alley roller" used as a generic for Skee-Ball before now.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2024, 03:24:35 PM »
Where I come from, a Chuck E. Cheese game show would have been Starcade.

Of course, I'm also old, and remember back before CECs turned into Redemption Hellscapes.

/the ballpits in the Kiddie Zone were still splashy though
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Matté

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2024, 03:53:27 PM »
Where I come from, a Chuck E. Cheese game show would have been Starcade.

Of course, I'm also old, and remember back before CECs turned into Redemption Hellscapes.

/the ballpits in the Kiddie Zone were still splashy though

It was rough hearing Mark Richards trying to do the play-by-play on the ball pit bodily fluid cleanup for the first few weeks though.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2024, 11:11:22 PM »
Supersized pinball - because that idea worked so well the first time. How many times did that show change its end game format? I can think of five different versions, and who knows how many I missed while I was at school on those mornings.'
...because not trying something because it didn't work for a blip in the 1970s that nobody remembers is also a great plan too. I'm sure they'll do something fun with the concept.

I can see Fremantle suing, claiming it's too close to the The Price is Right "Super Ball" game that was retired in the 1990s.
Fremantle aren't the owners of the Skee Ball concept, nor are they they only game show that's had a Skee Ball element. Why would they su- you know what? It's not even worth it.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2024, 11:21:39 PM »
...because not trying something because it didn't work for a blip in the 1970s that nobody remembers is also a great plan too. I'm sure they'll do something fun with the concept.
Even if they don't do something fun, the tech needed to make it work has advanced enough that fabricating something robust would be a lot easier.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2024, 12:50:22 PM »
Even if they don't do something fun, the tech needed to make it work has advanced enough that fabricating something robust would be a lot easier.

You're never gonna get a flipper coil that actually works effectively at scale, though. At least not without triggering someone's pacemaker.

Neumms

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2024, 02:36:34 PM »
Is "human claw" what we used to call skill cranes but with humans among the teddy bears and toy aliens? On the seedier side of the Minnesota State Fair, prizes included Jack Daniels cigarette lighters and the game was analog, which somehow feels more on the level.

Did Chuck E. have coin pushers? Gosh, add a pub quiz and that could make a game on its own.

If the physical stuff isn't too stupid, this could be fun. Top Chef from which the producers come isn't a bad show. I'd love to see WoF shopping brought into the 2020s, especially since whenever my daughter or I have spent arcade tickets, I've had the Wheel music in my head.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 02:58:41 PM by Neumms »

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2024, 04:27:20 PM »
I fully expect that rather than Wheel of Fortune–style shopping, the ticket redemption will be treated like a stereotypical money ladder. "If you can win 150 tickets in this last game, instead of going on the European tour, you'll be able to buy the BMW!"

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2024, 06:22:08 PM »
Is "human claw" what we used to call skill cranes but with humans among the teddy bears and toy aliens?
What I am hoping the human claw game is.  Starts at 1:36.

rebelwrest

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2024, 10:49:40 PM »
Is "human claw" what we used to call skill cranes but with humans among the teddy bears and toy aliens?

A "human claw" game was used as the bonus round on BBC's "Families at War" starring Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer.  Don't ask what the show was about, you'll get a headache.

My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2024, 03:09:07 PM »
Ah, thanks. Gosh, I love British game show prizes, or are they giving away foot baths as a joke?

Neumms

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2024, 03:11:54 PM »
I fully expect that rather than Wheel of Fortune–style shopping, the ticket redemption will be treated like a stereotypical money ladder. "If you can win 150 tickets in this last game, instead of going on the European tour, you'll be able to buy the BMW!"

Maybe. Then it'll be essentially Sale of the Century.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2024, 10:55:43 AM »
Shenanigans had a game based on skee-ball.

It's probably a safe bet that many games that have been adapted to television are in the public domain: Skee-Ball, Shut the Box, Tic Tac Toe, Twenty One/Blackjack, Concentration, Hangman, Poker and others.

Scrabble was an exception and was copyrighted/trademarked.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2024, 11:09:53 PM »
I guess while we're talking about game shows based on nostalgic video game brands:

https://deadline.com/2024/02/atari-game-show-jay-blumenfield-tony-marsh-development-1235819462/

clemon79

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2024, 02:31:01 PM »
I guess while we're talking about game shows based on nostalgic video game brands:

https://deadline.com/2024/02/atari-game-show-jay-blumenfield-tony-marsh-development-1235819462/

Knowing how much Infogrames has bastardized the Atari brand since they bought it when I worked there:

I cannot BELIEVE it has taken them this long to do this.