Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chuck E. Cheese game show (for adults) in the works  (Read 5155 times)

BrandonFG

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jamey Greek

Re: Chuck E. Cheese game show (for adults) in the works
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 03:56:47 PM »
They should have tried it in the 80s during their heyday.

snowpeck

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 04:17:02 PM »
They should have tried it in the 80s during their heyday.
You're missing the point. It's aimed at adults with nostalgia for that era. That said, it still seems like a stretch.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 04:41:28 PM »
I wonder how much alcohol they'll give the contestants.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 10:38:42 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/chuck-e-cheese-tv-game-show-1235790841/amp/

I’m getting slight “Raid the Cage” vibes.
If part of the challenge is getting locked in like Five Nights at Freddy's, then yep, Raid the Cage it is.

To me, it seems more like Family Game Night- oversized versions of games that everyone's familiar with. I'd be interested.

It'll be interesting to see if they take design cues from the new era CEC stores or the animatronic, pissy ball pit, "We sell Bartles and Jaymes on tap" CEC stores.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 11:20:23 PM »
To me, it seems more like Family Game Night- oversized versions of games that everyone's familiar with. I'd be interested.
That's the vibe I got. I'd secretly hope for some elaborate obstacle course-esque jungle gym challenge thing but maybe that's too obvious.

/idk I was a Discovery Zone kid
This signature is currently under construction.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 04:12:47 PM »
I’m holding out for a Dave & Buster’s game show (since they are Chuck E. Cheese for adults)…

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 10:17:33 PM »
I’m holding out for a Dave & Buster’s game show (since they are Chuck E. Cheese for adults)…

I'm sure the people running the Chuck E. Cheese game show are relieved to hear that.

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 12:18:51 PM »
This sounds like another disaster, just like Candy Crush was. 

I tried watching Candy Crush and after about 4 minutes I had had enough.

One of the worst ideas for a game show ever.

Anything that causes me to have warm feelings about Chuck Barris's Gong Show truly is horrible.

I am already sensing this Chuck E Cheese game show will be just as pitiful a viewing experience.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 12:43:28 PM »
Eh. They haven’t even done a pilot. Let’s at least see a finished product before we drop hot takes.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

That Don Guy

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 05:22:48 PM »
"The format will feature stand-alone comedic physical challenges where duos of ‘big kids’ (aka adults) will compete over supersized arcade games — including pinball"
Supersized pinball - because that idea worked so well the first time. How many times did that show change its end game format? I can think of five different versions, and who knows how many I missed while I was at school on those mornings.'

And cashing in "tickets" for prizes? That sounds like a glorified Wheel of Fortune shopping round.

Question: did Chuck E. Cheeses have Skee-Ball? (Then again, I can see Fremantle suing, claiming it's too close to the The Price is Right "Super Ball" game that was retired in the 1990s.)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2024, 05:57:35 PM »
Question: did Chuck E. Cheeses have Skee-Ball?
Absolutely yes.  I am willing to wager hard earned money on "alley roller" in the article is the trademark-free equivalent of Skee-Ball.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2024, 07:16:53 PM »
"The format will feature stand-alone comedic physical challenges where duos of ‘big kids’ (aka adults) will compete over supersized arcade games — including pinball"
Supersized pinball - because that idea worked so well the first time. How many times did that show change its end game format? I can think of five different versions, and who knows how many I missed while I was at school on those mornings.'

And cashing in "tickets" for prizes? That sounds like a glorified Wheel of Fortune shopping round.

Question: did Chuck E. Cheeses have Skee-Ball? (Then again, I can see Fremantle suing, claiming it's too close to the The Price is Right "Super Ball" game that was retired in the 1990s.)

If you remember correctly Family Game Night had Operation Skee-ball And Fremantle did not take legal action against Hasbro to my knowledge.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2024, 08:21:13 PM »
Why would Fremantle have standing, Jamey?
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2024, 08:39:38 PM »
Why would Fremantle have standing, Jamey?

I believe Jamey is running with Don's supposition that Fremantle would sue re: skee ball vs. Super Ball!!, which doesn't really make sense, because NBC and B&E should have gone after The Hollywood Squares for having a game similar to their earlier Tic-Tac-Dough. :)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck