Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Feud" survey tabulation questions  (Read 3326 times)

gamed121683

"Feud" survey tabulation questions
« on: January 01, 2024, 12:22:03 PM »
I don't know if anyone would have any insight into how Family Feud surveys are tabulated, but I'll still ask...

1. What happens if a survey taker gave an answer that's factually incorrect? For example, let's say the question was "Name a European country" and survey taker answered "Japan". Is it kept in? Do they not use it and dip into the reserves to see what survey taker #101 wrote?

2. Probably not so much a problem in its current iteration, but what happens if one ran into an answer that's considered...shall we say, inappropriate for air? An example for this might be "Name something that people ride". I won't give what a possible answer might be, but I'm sure you can use your imagination.

Kevin Prather

Re: "Feud" survey tabulation questions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 01:25:20 PM »
I don't know if anyone would have any insight into how Family Feud surveys are tabulated, but I'll still ask...

1. What happens if a survey taker gave an answer that's factually incorrect? For example, let's say the question was "Name a European country" and survey taker answered "Japan". Is it kept in? Do they not use it and dip into the reserves to see what survey taker #101 wrote?

Thats probably why the "two people have to say it" rule is in effect. You can also earmark the question for Fast Money.

2. Probably not so much a problem in its current iteration, but what happens if one ran into an answer that's considered...shall we say, inappropriate for air? An example for this might be "Name something that people ride". I won't give what a possible answer might be, but I'm sure you can use your imagination.

Any time you wanna keep one answer hidden, you can use the question for Fast Money. Then the answer's result is only revealed if the contestant gives it.

WhammyPower

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 01:50:11 PM »
I know of at least one factually incorrect survey answer that made it on the show...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 03:44:44 PM »
that’s why the show surveyed 150 people. Also there’s no requirement that every answer given by two people in on the board.

see above.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 04:02:22 PM »
there’s no requirement that every answer given by two people in on the board.

Have you read the Family Feud bible?

In the Europe/Japan example above, the answer would be discarded, mainly because no contestant would be likely to guess it.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 05:52:55 PM »
No of course not. But I have seen shows where the Triple round has four answers and less than 300 points on offer.
Travis L. Eberle

Nick

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 07:24:34 PM »
In the Europe/Japan example above, the answer would be discarded, mainly because no contestant would be likely to guess it.

For the main game, makes sense.  For Fast Money, while an unlikely response, suppose a flustered contestant says it.  If two others actually did, wouldn't it be, well, dishonest not to give the credit?

But I seem to recall reading at one time that the points out of "one hundred people surveyed" are actually based on thousands of responses and scored out of a hundred according to the frequency of that response.  If that is true, you'd really need two percent of your responders to have failed world geography to get the points attached, but if people really are that stupid, do you give credit to an answer that is factually incorrect?
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 07:41:01 PM »
there’s no requirement that every answer given by two people in on the board.

No, but it seems probable that the second question of this episode didn't get 13 unduplicated answers. Or 27 unduplicated answers in the third question of this episode.

The current version of the show is even more blatant about it, sometimes using questions where only 60-some respondents' worth of answers are displayed on the board.

2. Probably not so much a problem in its current iteration, but what happens if one ran into an answer that's considered...shall we say, inappropriate for air? An example for this might be "Name something that people ride".

You're right that the current version would go ahead and display that answer on the board.

I don't know how I'd go about looking it up, but I remember seeing a Dawson episode on Buzzr where the question began with "name a bird" and one of the answers up on the board was "bat." So I suspect that the survey results are the survey results, for better or for worse. As has already been pointed out, if the show doesn't want a weird answer to be displayed on the board, the answer threshold can be cut off before that point if it's the main game, or the question can be used in Fast Money.

Nick

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 08:12:42 PM »
The current version of the show is even more blatant about it, sometimes using questions where only 60-some respondents' worth of answers are displayed on the board.

Is this not largely a product of them engineering the game to make a sweep of the first three rounds impossible to be sufficient to win the game, thereby mandating a round four and a surefire elimination the awkwardness of having to fill time when the game ends a round early (and, probably equally important in the eyes of the current showrunners, also ensures that the first-round question almost never has any bearing on who wins the game, which means your hook off the top is your most ridiculous question with the "you can't say that on television" responses, since you're playing it for "laughs" more than anything else)?  The same goes for Fast Money.  Has there ever been an instance in the current version where the first player alone could have racked up the full 200 or more?
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 08:27:03 PM »
Is this not largely a product of them engineering the game to make a sweep of the first three rounds impossible to be sufficient to win the game, thereby mandating a round four and a surefire elimination the awkwardness of having to fill time when the game ends a round early (and, probably equally important in the eyes of the current showrunners, also ensures that the first-round question almost never has any bearing on who wins the game, which means your hook off the top is your most ridiculous question with the "you can't say that on television" responses, since you're playing it for "laughs" more than anything else)?  The same goes for Fast Money.  Has there ever been an instance in the current version where the first player alone could have racked up the full 200 or more?
To be excruciatingly pedantic you only have to win one question then triple or the quick draw shootout.
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Matté

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 10:23:27 PM »
2 people or 2% of people surveyed said in response to "Name a time most people go to bed" "Night"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 11:06:47 PM »
I've seen Howard go over the survey results. He would sometimes combine answers, e.g. "name a non-alcoholic beverage". He might combine "water" and "Perrier" into one answer if they came back on the survey.

SamPrainito

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 02:05:08 AM »

No, but I sure would be interested.  Chris, do you happen to have a copy to share?  I recall reading your "Password Plus" bible many years ago.

Jsach

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2024, 12:14:59 AM »
Has there ever been an instance in the current version where the first player alone could have racked up the full 200 or more?
The show's social medias recently started sharing what the top three answers and their point values are. I quickly ran through a bunch of the most recent ones and the highest combined total of number one answers was 199. I'd hazard a guess that they're intentionally making it impossible.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2024, 12:59:08 AM »
The show's social medias recently started sharing what the top three answers and their point values are.

That's interesting, because there have been times where it seemed like they were deliberately choosing five questions with low-scoring number one answers as a budget-saving measure -- I wouldn't have been surprised if the only way to win was for the teammates to give nearly exclusively number one and number two answers. Publicizing not just the top three answers but also the scores seems like an accountability measure. Have you seen any bonus rounds with abnormally low point values?