Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mayim Bialik Out As Syndicated Jeopardy Host  (Read 6466 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Mayim Bialik Out As Syndicated Jeopardy Host
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2023, 12:09:21 PM »
Isn’t she a member of SAG?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2023, 02:04:52 PM »

Yes.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2023, 03:12:51 PM »
Did her leaving to support the strike come into play here? I bet it didn't help, but I doubt it was the main reason.

I think not showing up for work when you don't have a legal right not to is not going to help you remain employed.

Honestly, she was screwed from the moment Jeopardy decided to continue filming despite the strike. She was either going to upset some of the powers that be at Jeopardy, or she was going to come off looking like she crossed the picket line, even if her contract stated otherwise. For the sake of her long time employment in Hollywood, she made the right choice.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2023, 05:06:13 PM »

Yes.

-Jason

Thanks, Jason. 🙂

Would seem pretty bad form to be a member of one union and cross a picket line when another is striking.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

inturnaround

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2023, 05:50:10 PM »
Seems like at this point there's just a general feeling that ABC has a standing order for special Jeopardy! events.  Whether anything is official or not, I think regular appearances of Celebrity Jeopardy! are just assumed.

Yes, I think the Jeopardy! and WOF runs have done well for ABC relative to their costs, so that's likely what people are referring to. J! Masters was already renewed for 2024, but I would imagine that would still have Ken hosting. If ABC wants Mayim to host CJ season 3 and her contract has not yet expired, then she'll host CJ again.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

inturnaround

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2023, 04:17:17 PM »
More from Puck News’ “What I’m Hearing” column of industry gossip (the latest version is not yet available on the web) h/h to Reddit for the copy) :

Strike Shrapnel Hits Jeopardy!
By Matthew Belloni
December 18, 2023

Remember when I speculated back in late September that the studios may not soon forget the outsize animosity on display during the Writers Guild strike? A few readers (and many on Twitter!) said I was fearmongering. Now we see Sony Pictures Television firing Mayim Bialik as host of the syndicated Jeopardy!, duties she shared since 2022 with Ken Jennings. And while Sony insists the parting is to “maintain continuity” for viewers, Bialik’s actions during the strike were at least a contributing factor, according to three sources close to the show. Sony declined to comment beyond its statement.

Sony TV executive Suzanne Prete and executive producer Michael Davies were furious when Bialik said in May that she would step away from the final week of filming last season in solidarity with the show’s striking writers. After all, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are well-oiled machines, requiring precise timing to make the show’s five-episodes-a-day schedule. Plus, Bialik wasn’t loved on set, and Sony had switched up shooting that season to accommodate her Fox sitcom, Call Me Kat. Bialik’s reps were told that by refusing to perform, she was in breach of her contract, which began with an annual salary of $4 million (that includes her primetime Jeopardy! work), and has increased by $1 million each year. Jennings, who stepped in on those final episodes, is paid the same.

Post-strikes, Bialik had expected business as usual, but Sony recently informed her that her services won’t be needed next season. She was offered the chance to stay on for the rest of this season, but she said no thanks. Assuming the primetime Celebrity Jeopardy! and the college tournament are renewed by ABC for 2024-25 (a safe bet), she may still stay on those. But given her anger, I’ll be a bit surprised if that happens.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

trainman

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2023, 09:09:44 PM »
Would seem pretty bad form to be a member of one union and cross a picket line when another is striking.

Ken is also a member of SAG-AFTRA.

Presumably, the technical crew on J! is members of IATSE.
trainman is a man of trains

inturnaround

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2023, 09:30:52 PM »
People may forget that at the time WGA struck, SAG-AFTRA had instructed their talent to honor their valid contracts. It was said that shows like The View, Wheel, and J! fell under the Network Code Agreement for SAG-AFTRA and that wasn’t struck. I don’t know if this means that Ken and Mayim were on the show as host under that agreement, but either way, Mayim
did breech her contract when she walked out which, if she was actually covered by that Network Code, would have been an illegal wildcat strike.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2023, 02:44:21 PM »
Strike stuff aside, my take on Mayim is this: She was definitely one of the better guest hosts during that run, and based on those applicants, she probably deserved the gig at that time. Problem is, she never got any better, while Ken not only improved as he got more comfortable with the job, but he improved by leaps and bounds and really left Mayim in the dust. She became expendable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2023, 04:04:40 PM »
Strike stuff aside, my take on Mayim is this: She was definitely one of the better guest hosts during that run, and based on those applicants, she probably deserved the gig at that time. Problem is, she never got any better, while Ken not only improved as he got more comfortable with the job, but he improved by leaps and bounds and really left Mayim in the dust. She became expendable.
This. I think she got a little better, but to your point, Ken made huge strides.

She also didn't endear herself to the fanbase. I recall an early event where she took a minor shot at Lilly, the woman who rates contestant and host outfits on J, and, for a time, it seemed like the fan base turned on her.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2023, 06:39:39 PM »
recall an early event where she took a minor shot at Lilly, the woman who rates contestant and host outfits on J,

Not for nothing, but I'd take a shot at that too. That's up there with that one clown around here who would favor us with his gender tally on WOF contesti. Actually worse, since that was at least fact-based instead of passing judgement.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2023, 07:14:03 PM »
This. I think she got a little better, but to your point, Ken made huge strides.

She also didn't endear herself to the fanbase. I recall an early event where she took a minor shot at Lilly, the woman who rates contestant and host outfits on J, and, for a time, it seemed like the fan base turned on her.
Sorry, but I’m confused.  Is this Lilly someone affiliated with the show or is it a nitwit on social media?  If it’s the later, who gives a flying fig what Lilly thinks?  That’s a stupid reason to “turn on someone”.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2023, 07:42:49 PM »
Not for nothing, but I'd take a shot at that too. That's up there with that one clown around here who would favor us with his gender tally on WOF contesti. Actually worse, since that was at least fact-based instead of passing judgement.
All things considered, the J Twitter community likes her posts and generally regards her as a nice lady - the judging isn't so much judging as it is pointing out nice things about everyone's outfits. YMMV, but she's harmless at worst.

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2023, 09:25:33 PM »
All things considered, the J Twitter community likes her posts and generally regards her as a nice lady - the judging isn't so much judging as it is pointing out nice things about everyone's outfits. YMMV, but she's harmless at worst.

If she's focusing on the positive? Sure, different animal.

steveleb

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2023, 02:16:57 AM »
Belloni, love him or hate him, is very well-connected.  And let’s just say Suzanne and Michael weren’t necessarily on board with the Mayim supporters. Mayim’s week tested atypically high, but was not controlled for whether the reason she popped was the love for her talents or the sight gimmick of Amy Farrah Fowler hosting a shoe that character arguably could have run the table on.  And yes, many thought a woman needed to be in consideration.  Honestly not sure where of if they aligned with the thoughts of others with a voice on that.

Here’s the bottom line:  the strike support issue was an easy way to address the elephant in the room: she was at best a push with Ken with popularity and even less impactful on bringing in a different audience.  I’d be surprised if anything but a sliver of CJ’s viewers aren’t also watching the mothership strip.  And she didn’t come cheap.

How the Twitterati felt about her foibles and Fowler-ups didn’t help her case, but this was ultimately business not personal.

At least she did better than Rolf.