Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FYSA coming to CBS  (Read 3634 times)

colonial

FYSA coming to CBS
« on: December 01, 2023, 01:18:34 PM »
https://deadline.com/2023/12/funny-you-should-ask-cbs-primetime-1235647927/

Byron Allen's "Funny You Should Ask," which has appeared in syndication, Allen's own FAST channels and even The Weather Channel, will make an appearance on CBS's prime time schedule later this month.

Four episodes are set to air from 8-10 p.m. ET Dec. 9. It's a Saturday where TV viewership is generally at its lowest, so I'm presuming this is better than dead air.

No word if these episodes are new or simply "new to CBS."

JD

Casey Buck

Re: FYSA coming to CBS
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 02:54:22 PM »
Can't wait to see a game show in prime time with a $5,000 top prize like a daytime game show from 50 years ago.

I guess syndication isn't dead after all. It's moved to prime time, baby!

snowpeck

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 04:10:30 PM »
Seems like a downgrade from the "Byron Allen Presents a Merry Soulful Christmas" that was supposed to air in that slot. Not that I would have watched that either.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 07:36:37 PM »
Seems like a downgrade from the "Byron Allen Presents a Merry Soulful Christmas" that was supposed to air in that slot. Not that I would have watched that either.

Ah!  Could it be that Byron had the Christmas special planned and couldn't get it done in time?  The strikes screw things up or something?  And this was what they came up with as an alternative?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

brianhenke

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 08:07:01 PM »
Probably...

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Caustic Window

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 04:43:41 PM »
This show is horrid.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 01:42:42 PM »
This show is horrid.

Most of Allen's stuff is. I catch the first few minutes of that Comics Unleashed thing from time to time because my DVR picks it up at the end of recording Colbert, and because his shows are all meant to be evergreen, it's just him setting the comics up with generic straight-man lines because they CAN'T talk about anything topical. Byron of course has no shame whatsoever, but the other comics look like they would rather be just about anywhere else, but they're there because they couldn't get a ten-minute slot at Guffaw's Laff Shack that night.

After Midnight CANNOT start soon enough.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 01:56:56 PM »
It's just [Byron] setting the comics up with generic straight-man lines because they CAN'T talk about anything topical.
It's interesting to see the lengths they've taken to avoid letting the viewer know they're actually watching a 15-year-old show. I've mentioned this before, but they edited out Byron's monologue in the more recent reruns...the ones from about a decade ago still had Paris Hilton and Myspace jokes.

Every so often you might hear a comic talk about something like how great it was that Obama just got elected, but for the most part it's exactly what you said. Byron throws the comic a softball and lets them riff for two minutes.

/Although I have seen a few non-deceased comics on the show
//You couldn't be more leashed!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 02:55:17 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but they edited out Byron's monologue in the more recent reruns...the ones from about a decade ago still had Paris Hilton and Myspace jokes.

I did not realize they were doing that.  I thought that sometimes, he just came out without doing a monologue.

But yeah, between the dead panelists and the occasional topical references they just can't do anything about, you'd have to be pretty dim not to realize that these shows cover a pretty large span of time.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2023, 03:25:02 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but they edited out Byron's monologue in the more recent reruns...the ones from about a decade ago still had Paris Hilton and Myspace jokes.

I did not realize they were doing that.  I thought that sometimes, he just came out without doing a monologue.
Hmm...I could be wrong but the times I watched, I thought I noticed an abrupt edit from him welcoming people to the show to his introducing the DJ.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 04:50:28 PM »
But yeah, between the dead panelists

If they actually had a corpse propped up there Weekend-At-Bernie's-style, THAT would get my custom.

Hmm...I could be wrong but the times I watched, I thought I noticed an abrupt edit from him welcoming people to the show to his introducing the DJ.

It's a Byron Allen show. You think I'm gonna so much as blink at a crappily-done jump cut?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

steveleb

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2023, 11:21:35 AM »
Say this much for Byron...he can sell snow to an Eskimo. 

CBS could have easily filled the slot with repeats of almost anything in their library, including some hastily scheduled (and residual-paid) episodes of Paramount + originals such as SEAL TEAM.

But no...someone at this network actually thought a show with a built-in audience of the magnitude it delivers for some of their owned-and-operated stations each day was worthy of this real estate at a crucial time of year for key advertisers.

P.T. Barnum was proven right yet again.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2023, 07:50:01 PM »
Tonight's shows must be special.  My DVR has them as "Byron Allen Presents Funny You Should Ask."

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 09:56:55 AM »
I watch three of them. No giant winners in the ones I saw. Looked like average episodes.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 09:59:03 AM »
Watched that is
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.