Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fact or fiction? Herpes tests on "Feud"  (Read 5442 times)

SamPrainito

Fact or fiction? Herpes tests on "Feud"
« on: November 29, 2023, 03:45:34 AM »
https://people.com/kliff-nesteroff-outrageous-showbiz-book-claims-family-feud-required-contestant-herpes-tests-during-richard-dawson-hosting-era-8406935

I dunno about this one.   Certainly plausible, but I feel like our little community would have known about this by now.

Thoughts?

SuperMatch93

Re: Fact or fiction? Herpes tests on "Feud"
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 11:44:04 AM »
I don't have the link handy, but the closest thing to that was in an interview I read once where checks for cold sores were mentioned.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Otm Shank

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 05:00:24 PM »
Here's a case where technically correct isn't the best kind of correct. Except it is for the author, who gets tons of clicks.

SamPrainito

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 05:23:43 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  It's a clickbait article.

It also goes on to say that Johnny Carson got complaints from Senior Citizen groups over his Aunt Blabby character.  That's a new one to me as well.

I think some these stories are wishful thinking on the part of the author, who is most likely judging the past through the lens of today.

Ordinarily, I'd buy a book like this, but I think I'll pass.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 05:47:27 PM »
Here's an article from early-1985 that confirms the testing (relevant info highlighted in blue). H/T to Alex Braun.

Also, from the second page...

“It’s in his contract,” Lynn said. “The kissing is serious business.”

It's bizarre, but I get it.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 07:14:16 PM »
It also goes on to say that Johnny Carson got complaints from Senior Citizen groups over his Aunt Blabby character.  That's a new one to me as well.

That one is very real, supported by plenty of contemporary reporting.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

trainman

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 12:58:42 AM »
Ordinarily, I'd buy a book like this, but I think I'll pass.

The author Kliph Nesteroff already has two well-regarded books under his belt (his first is a history of American comedy in general, and the follow-up is specifically about Native Americans in comedy), so it's not like this is some random guy making up stories for clickbait purposes. And this new book was published by Abrams, which is enough of a major publisher that there would have been at least a modicum of fact-checking.
trainman is a man of trains

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 10:52:44 AM »
I believe each lady was asked before the show if it was alright if Dawson kissed her.  There were a handful that said no, and he usually kissed them on the cheek instead.  I'm very surprised at how many women gave the OK - there were very few that refused.

For the record, I was never a big fan of it - it got to be a bit much after a while.  Towards the end of the run there seemed to be some that he kissed four or five times (especially if they were in Fast Money) instead of just once at the top of the show.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2023, 11:10:42 AM »
For the record, I was never a big fan of it - it got to be a bit much after a while.  Towards the end of the run there seemed to be some that he kissed four or five times (especially if they were in Fast Money) instead of just once at the top of the show.
Agreed. I get it was a different time and all but towards the end the constant kisses got a little creepy for me.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2023, 12:17:43 PM »
It may have been a different time, but sexual harassment was already against the law, and if the woman .had to agree to kiss Dawson to get on show, it is no different than being forced to kiss the boss, then Mark Goodson is lucky he never got sued.

Honestly it us why I can't watch the Dawson episodes anymore. 

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2023, 02:32:00 PM »
I never heard any such thing around the office. I worked for the E.P. of Family Feud and something like that would have gotten around. I once heard "Richard made a contestant cry" but that's about it.

Cathy Dawson is on Facebook; ask her. Why she keeps that a-hole's surname, I don't know.

Watching FF and MG now I'm struck by how lecherous both Dawson and Rayburn were back then. I'd have loved to see Dawson kiss the wrong lady and get his nose bloodied. Dawson was all over some of those female contestants. I think he was so embittered by his divorce from Diana Dors that he was trying to find the next Mrs. Dawson, and he did.

The E.P. of FF once remarked, "I'd rather have 100 Allen Luddens than one Richard Dawson.". Allen was what you would call a "pill".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 02:49:33 PM by chris319 »

ScottyJ

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2023, 04:07:27 PM »
My family was on the Dawson era of Feud.  The women were asked if it was ok if Richard kissed them, but there was definitely no Herpes test. 

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2023, 04:24:20 PM »
When I hear "herpes test", I'm thinking cotton swabs and, you know, labs and actual test results.  I think there's a huge difference between that and eyeballing to see if somebody's got a cold sore.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2023, 05:23:15 PM »
Cathy Dawson is on Facebook; ask her. Why she keeps that a-hole's surname, I don't know.

I'm certainly not a fan of his.  He seemed like a nice guy on the early days of Match Game, but around early '77 he started to get unbearable.  At least that 1984 TV Guide article told the truth about him.

Watching FF and MG now I'm struck by how lecherous both Dawson and Rayburn were back then. I'd have loved to see Dawson kiss the wrong lady and get his nose bloodied. Dawson was all over some of those female contestants. I think he was so embittered by his divorce from Diana Dors that he was trying to find the next Mrs. Dawson, and he did.

The E.P. of FF once remarked, "I'd rather have 100 Allen Luddens than one Richard Dawson.". Allen was what you would call a "pill".

One thing that strikes me about Rayburn that I didn't really pick up on before is that he seemed quite full of himself.  He seemed like a nicer guy than Dawson though.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2023, 05:28:44 PM »
It may have been a different time, but sexual harassment was already against the law, and if the woman .had to agree to kiss Dawson to get on show, it is no different than being forced to kiss the boss, then Mark Goodson is lucky he never got sued.

If a woman didn't want to kiss Dawson, he'd respect their wishes. In one of the episodes from 1980 that's on Prime Video, as he's saying goodbye to the losing family he says to one woman "I won't kiss you" and hugs her instead.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983