Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roger auctions Drew's gift iPhone (When was the last time that happened?)  (Read 4224 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: Roger auctions Drew's gift iPhone (When was the last time that happened?)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2023, 05:37:54 PM »
This thread makes me glad I'm no longer paying for this board.

Too much ado about absolutely nothing. Way too much.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2023, 06:44:34 PM »
I'm not accusing him of autograph hound-level behavior, but no one in his life would've enjoyed a smart phone?

You’d be surprised.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2023, 06:56:21 PM »
The New York Times Magazine runs an "Ethicist" column that's essentially an advice column for ethical dilemmas. A couple of months ago, the featured letter was from somebody who had received a valuable diamond ring from a much wealthier relative, asking whether it was ethical to sell the family heirloom for needed money (link -- paywalled for New York Times subscribers only). The columnist's answer was that a gift is a gift, and the recipient has the right to do with the gift what they please... although in order to avoid strain on family relationships, it would be courteous to inform the gift-giver about the decision to sell the ring and why.

I scrolled through the most upvoted reader responses in the comments section and saw that a majority of readers recommended other courses of action, although those opinions were largely in the context of the ring's sentimental value as a family heirloom (among the most popular suggestions: see whether anyone else in the family would want to purchase it (although still expect hard feelings) or sell the diamond and replace it with cubic zirconia or a similar lookalike).

It's clear the iPhone held little sentimental value to Roger or anybody in his family, so there was no priceless value to consider. Looking at it from the gift-giver's perspective, if I gave somebody a valuable gift only to find out that they later sold it, while I would recognize their right to do that, it would certainly make me less inclined to give them any other gifts in the future. But I don't think Roger's going to be worried about those ramifications.

Using the celebrity connection to try to goose the selling price is a bit low... although I'm guessing Roger has no qualms about profiting off the name of the man he attributes to his firing. (Even though I assume the buyer was only interested in "first-edition iPhone in original, unopened packaging" as opposed to "iPhone Drew Carey gave some guy.") But with no sentimental value to consider, what reason is there at this point to hang on to an outdated piece of technology that will never be used?

To add an additional perspective: this memory is roughly 15 years old, so I'm sure I'm getting some of the specifics wrong, but I remember Drew once telling a TPIR audience about the time ABC gave him a luxury car to celebrate the success of The Drew Carey Show. He didn't need the car, so he gave it to one of the sitcom's production assistants. And I'm pretty sure the story ended with the production assistant selling the car (because you can't afford the insurance on a luxury car on a PA's salary). Drew didn't appear particularly offended by the PA's decision to sell the car.

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2023, 08:04:32 PM »
Considering other similar iPhones that have sold for more than Roger's:

http://Https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-first-generation-unopened-iphone-2007-could-get-50000-auction-2023-2

I really don't think the Drew Factor added any extra money to his iPhone sale.

whewfan

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2023, 09:14:42 PM »
Okay, so Roger is 5 digits richer for selling an I phone that's 16 years old. What could this new owner do with it to make about as much as Roger made? What are the odds that there's another fan of TPIR and Drew Carey that has that kind of money for a sealed box?
Likely the phone sold to an electronic collector that likes to collect equipment in original packaging.

I know some NES sealed games sold for a lot.

I don’t see Roger, Drew, or Price’s history having anything to do with the high sale price.

Surely they want to make money on it themselves by reselling it, and I am curious who would spend MORE than what the current owner of the Iphone. I guess there are a few out there. This Iphone, however, can only retain its value by NEVER being used for its intended purpose.

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2023, 09:24:52 PM »
Okay, so Roger is 5 digits richer for selling an I phone that's 16 years old. What could this new owner do with it to make about as much as Roger made? What are the odds that there's another fan of TPIR and Drew Carey that has that kind of money for a sealed box?
Likely the phone sold to an electronic collector that likes to collect equipment in original packaging.

I know some NES sealed games sold for a lot.

I don’t see Roger, Drew, or Price’s history having anything to do with the high sale price.

Surely they want to make money on it themselves by reselling it, and I am curious who would spend MORE than what the current owner of the Iphone. I guess there are a few out there. This Iphone, however, can only retain its value by NEVER being used for its intended purpose.
Like someone else said, it’s a collector item. Would I spend 20K? No, but someone will.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2023, 11:45:25 PM »
ugly thick low-capacity

Ah, I see you've been perusing my résumé.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2023, 01:02:50 PM »

Not in the least.

It's an iPhone 1, sealed in box. To Apple fanboys that's a major collectors item. Whatever "letter of provenance" that Roger includes with it will likely be used for kindling.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2023, 01:34:45 PM »
It's an iPhone 1, sealed in box. To Apple fanboys that's a major collectors item. Whatever "letter of provenance" that Roger includes with it will likely be used for kindling.

Dare I say the buyer may not have nary a clue who Roger Dobkowitz even is.

clemon79

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2023, 01:56:18 PM »
Dare I say the buyer may not have nary a clue who Roger Dobkowitz even is.

You may absolutely say that, with confidence. The only remotely interesting part of that letter to the layman would be that it was purchased by Drew Carey. And that Drew himself didn't sign off on that fact would render it completely worthless.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2023, 02:17:35 PM »
You may absolutely say that, with confidence. The only remotely interesting part of that letter to the layman would be that it was purchased by Drew Carey. And that Drew himself didn't sign off on that fact would render it completely worthless.
I'd argue the provenance does a little bit in both establishing the connection to Carey but also a general time frame as to when it was bought. (There's probably also a benefit to the provenance just existing). But it's not like someone from Apple held onto it, or it came with a receipt, or is the apparently rarer 4GB version; those are the kinds of things that rocket the price up to even stupider.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2023, 02:37:32 PM »
I'd argue the provenance does a little bit in both establishing the connection to Carey but also a general time frame as to when it was bought.

Sure, but my point is that it (again, hypothetically) would be signed by someone who might as well be Dick Hertz. "This guy says so." "Yeah, and?"

Mr. Brown

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2023, 12:55:01 PM »
People consider it worth that much to oneself (Would an iPhone 1 even work today?)

re: the cell function: In the United States - no. AT&T will unlock these, since they're considered fully paid for and their exclusivity on the iPhone ended long ago, but the 1st gen iPhone only supports 2G GSM, which has been deprecated in the United States.

Could work in some countries where 2G GSM is still used - France & Vietnam aren't turning off their 2G networks until 2026.

re: the software. This will only run up to "iPhone OS" 3.1.3 (it predates Apple calling it iOS). The certificates on it expired long ago and it can't even be used for most basic web access. You could load it up with music, though, and use it as an iPod.

But the biggest issue: the battery has probably vented and the device is likely destroyed. Wouldn't know unless the box was opened... it's Schrödinger's iPhone.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen