Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show TRUE memories  (Read 4290 times)

aaron sica

Game show TRUE memories
« on: November 10, 2023, 12:14:50 PM »
While browsing the old "false memories" thread, and some of my entries, I came across one that actually *was* true after all.

I previously mentioned that I thought I remembered TTD having a kids week and instead of money amounts in the boxes during the bonus round, there were prizes. Turns out this is true! Here's a link to an episode (you can also see the prizes in the screengrab).

Any memories you could have sworn you remembered, and you later found it that it actually WAS a thing?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 03:04:00 PM by aaron sica »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: Game show TRUE memories
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 02:02:24 PM »
When I was younger, I remembered seeing a WitWiCS episode with jacked up scoring that never appeared again.  This board (and subsequently, YouTube) helped confirm that memory.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 04:04:54 PM »
For a certain period in the 1990s, the colors of the TPiR Showcase podiums were reversed (normal convention from 1984-2002 was orange on the left, purple on the right). I thought this was some sort of fever dream. XD

That Don Guy

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 06:23:37 PM »
My main one was, I was certain that the on-screen title of The Money Maze was always "The Moneymaze" - and somebody posted an episode (besides the pilot, which has slightly different rules) a few years ago that confirmed it.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 07:07:28 PM »
I was sure I could remember times when the letters on the puzzleboard were red and blue. For the longest time I assumed I was thinking of the Red Letter Puzzles and just making up the blue part, but it turns out there were two separate sweepstakes that used the red and blue gradient letters I remembered.

1994: (Ain't that just a bright and sunny puzzle?)

1996:

SuperMatch93

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 08:24:35 PM »
^ Were those "solve the anagram and mail it in" kind of contests? Because I got FENCING pretty quick from the second one, but couldn't find anything for the first.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 08:33:58 PM »
^ Were those "solve the anagram and mail it in" kind of contests? Because I got FENCING pretty quick from the second one, but couldn't find anything for the first.

Yes. The second one was an Olympics themed contest. The first one, the common theme was "Presidents".

SuperMatch93

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 08:30:03 AM »

Yes. The second one was an Olympics themed contest. The first one, the common theme was "Presidents".

Oh duh, now I see the first one. That's what I get for using an online anagram solver on that.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 09:57:01 PM »
This is kinda obscure, but growing up I remembered watching Wheel and once the logo appeared, I swore it rolled offscreen to the right. Every episode I watched on GSN only showed it “sliding” away.

Sure enough, when I watched an NYC episode years later, the logo indeed rolled away.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 02:31:48 AM »
When I was a little kid I distinctly remembered watching Price is Right and seeing a game where they had to draw on the numbers and it was supposed to be some art thing.

I felt vindicated the first time the tape trading circuit put Gallery Game in front of me.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 10:14:08 AM »
This one's hard for me because I kept written records of game shows from the mid-70s onwards for a few years, so whenever I looked back on those it refreshed my memory.

Here's one that comes to mind that I saw before I started writing all of this down:  I remember on the initial episodes of Match Game 73 that Richard sat in seat 3 for a bunch of shows.  When GSN started rerunning  them my memory was confirmed...although I'd totally forgotten that they reversed the male-female seating for a few shows during the second week.  I also remembered that Brett sat in seat 4 in her first appearance, but I'd forgotten how many times she sat there before moving permanently into seat 2.  I also remembered the episode where Richard made everyone change seats at the beginning...I knew it was in the latter part of '75 but couldn't remember quite when.  I was happy to see that one pop up on GSN!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

whewfan

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2023, 03:59:17 PM »
For a certain period in the 1990s, the colors of the TPiR Showcase podiums were reversed (normal convention from 1984-2002 was orange on the left, purple on the right). I thought this was some sort of fever dream. XD

I had asked Roger about this... the simple answer was, nobody noticed they got reversed. The bid displays worked either way. I mean, if they can overlook removing the showcase podiums for one show when they were present behind Bob during the intro, surely they can overlook whether the purple and orange podiums are supposed to be on the left or right. It's a good thing the first game wasn't on the turntable, or it would've been awkward. Related to this, someone asked Roger why the green and blue contestants' row readouts were switched. His reply "Were they? I never noticed that!" So obviously, that wasn't his call, but they were switched to match the rear curtain colors.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2023, 08:46:22 PM »
I remember watching an episode of Classic Concentration when I was little and during the end credits Marjorie stepped on Alex's foot with her red heels.  Marjorie herself (she has an instagram) and some people in game show groups on Facebook confirmed it.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2023, 09:43:23 PM »
I recalled Jeopardy trotting out a Bonus category in the late 90s where every clue in that category had two correct responses- after giving the first one, you could opt to give the second for double the clue value.

God bless J-Archive.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2023, 03:32:31 PM »
When I was younger, I remembered seeing a WitWiCS episode with jacked up scoring that never appeared again.  This board (and subsequently, YouTube) helped confirm that memory.
i remember this as the pilot format that more closely represented the computer game where going to a wrong location would cost you time to come back and either interview more witnesses or travel again. As clever as it was I think they made the right call because the viewers might be confused by a right answer deducting points, just fewer points than a wrong answer. Doing it as a more classic game show format served the material better.
Travis L. Eberle