Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Filling in some "You Don't Say!" celebrities  (Read 3930 times)

thomas_meighan

Filling in some "You Don't Say!" celebrities
« on: August 20, 2023, 03:38:03 PM »
There's a large collection of TV Guide (Northern California edition) on www.archive.org that spans every issue from 1-16-1965 through the end of February 1970:
https://archive.org/details/vintage-tv-guides/TV%20Guide%201965-01-16%20Northern%20CA/

...and I was able to use it to fill in some missing celebrities from the "You Don't Say!" listings at
https://ctva.biz/US/GameShow/YouDontSay.htm

March 1, 1965—Mona Freeman & Jack Ging
March 8, 1965—Lola Albright & Jack Palance
March 15, 1965—Connie Hines & Roger Smith
April 5, 1965—Betty White & Win[k] Martindale
July 26, 1965—Noreen Corcoran & Bill Bixby
August 2, 1965—Donna Loren & Richard Deacon
October 25, 1965—Vera Miles & Mel Torme
November 8, 1965—Joanie Sommers & Bob Denver
November 15, 1965—Betty White & John Astin
November 29, 1965—Laraine Day & Marty Ingels
December 6, 1965—Mary Ann Mobley & Hal March
December 20, 1965—Michael Landon & Robert Vaughn
December 27, 1965—Carolyn Jones & Brian Kelly
April 11, 1966—Donna Loren & Brian Kelly
September 5, 1966—Beverly Garland & Mike Connors
December 19, 1966—June Lockhart & Guy Williams
March 25, 1968—Pat Carroll & Leonard Nimoy
June 17, 1968—Alice Ghostley & Ken Berry

Doubtless, it could be mined for a lot more information, both for specific weeks where data is lacking and shows for which celebrity panelist listings haven't been published. Actually, I was going to do one for "Fractured Phrases," but the only weeks I found data for were November 22 (Vivian Vance & Phil Foster, as noted in the EOTVGS third edition) and November 29 (Shari Lewis & Paul Anka). The rest of December did not have celebrities listed, and it makes me wonder if the celebrities were a permanent addition or just a tryout for those two weeks.

The use of the "COLOR" emblem (changed to just a "C" in a rounded square by June 1969) can help to narrow when a series transitioned to color. The daytime "To Tell the Truth" is shown with the color designation beginning January 30, 1967, but these dates sometimes have to be taken with a grain of salt. "Password" is not indicated as being in color until September 19, 1966, one week after the fact. Several newspaper reports from the time indicate that "As the World Turns" switched on February 20, 1967, but TV Guide was again a week late in updating its color listings. In other cases, contemporary newspaper mentions agree with TV Guide, e.g. for "House Party" (January 10, 1966) and "Supermarket Sweep" (April 24, 1967).

SuperMatch93

Re: Filling in some "You Don't Say!" celebrities
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 05:47:36 PM »
Holy cow; what a resource! Thanks for the link to the TV Guides.

If anyone else was curious, the 6/21/69 issue includes an article about Dream House that's been alluded to here before that details some of the hardships champions on that show faced once they won their houses.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Winkfan

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 06:04:54 PM »
If you click on the 12-18-1965 issue, you'll notice that Supermarket Sweep has its host billed as "BOB Malone"!

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Scrabbleship

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 07:41:34 PM »
If you click on the 12-18-1965 issue, you'll notice that Supermarket Sweep has its host billed as "BOB Malone"!

Without looking at the copy in question, I remember on one of the many TV Guide collecting groups on Facebook a scan of the 12/20/1965 listings having it listed as Supermarket Sweepstakes for the premiere week.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 11:07:30 PM »
The use of the "COLOR" emblem (changed to just a "C" in a rounded square by June 1969) can help to narrow when a series transitioned to color. The daytime "To Tell the Truth" is shown with the color designation beginning January 30, 1967, but these dates sometimes have to be taken with a grain of salt. "Password" is not indicated as being in color until September 19, 1966, one week after the fact. Several newspaper reports from the time indicate that "As the World Turns" switched on February 20, 1967, but TV Guide was again a week late in updating its color listings. In other cases, contemporary newspaper mentions agree with TV Guide, e.g. for "House Party" (January 10, 1966) and "Supermarket Sweep" (April 24, 1967).

You're right about that.  In looking over old issues from the mid-late '60s, quite a few times the black and white episodes of Gilligan's Island reruns (for example) would have the COLOR emblem listed...sometimes the actual color episodes didn't have it.  For the most part it was fairly accurate but there were quite a number of errors with the designations.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

trainman

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 01:37:33 AM »
You're right about that.  In looking over old issues from the mid-late '60s, quite a few times the black and white episodes of Gilligan's Island reruns (for example) would have the COLOR emblem listed...sometimes the actual color episodes didn't have it.  For the most part it was fairly accurate but there were quite a number of errors with the designations.

Because this was still true three decades later, I assume they were just getting a list of shows and episode numbers from the local stations, and the staff at the regional office was matching up the episode numbers with the show description from TV Guide's database -- which seems like it would have been a fairly manual, labor-intensive process in the 1960s. Making sure the "color" notation was correct for "Gilligan's Island" reruns on local independent stations was probably the least of their worries.
trainman is a man of trains

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 12:18:25 PM »
In my area, one of the stations did not have a color film chain before 1973, so even if they ran something originally produced in color (say, Star Trek) it still was aired in Black & White. They had network and video color facilities (So we got Movie Game in color)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

alfonzos

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 06:06:28 PM »
I remember watching "Fractured Phrases" but don't recall celebrity-civilian pairings at all. Maybe it was an attept to get viewers. The series did not last beyond thirteen weeks.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos