Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: J! Season 40 to premiere with recycled contestants, questions  (Read 5264 times)

colonial

J! Season 40 to premiere with recycled contestants, questions
« on: August 07, 2023, 01:40:54 PM »
https://deadline.com/2023/08/jeopardy-michael-davies-reveals-changed-season-40-plans-1235456453/

J! is scheduled to begin taping its 40th season next week, but there were those wondering what the plans were given the WGA and SAG strikes. The show already announced the post-season tournaments would be delayed indefinitely because of the strike (a number of TOC contestants already announced they had no plans on competing until at least the WGA strike was resolved).

You could go with the "recycled questions" route from the 2007 strike, but now there's a website, j-archive.com, that lists close to 500,000 clues the show has used over the years.

On today's (Aug. 7) "Inside Jeopardy" podcast, EP/Showrunner Michael Davies announced a "changed Season 40" that will begin with a "second chance tournament for players who lost their first game in Season 37" with winners advancing to a "Season 37 and 38 Champions Wild Card." Questions will be a mix of recycled material and unaired clues written before the strike.

Honestly, the show could just re-air the runs of Jennings, Holzhauer, Schneider, etc., and get the same ratings. This does not sound interesting.

Also, the show is increasing runners-up prizes to $3,000 for second and $2,000 for third.

JD
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 02:43:05 PM by colonial »

JohnXXVII

Re: J! Season 40 to premiere with recycled contestants, questions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 01:02:16 AM »
Davies has a real talent for running things into the ground and for making things hopelessly complicated. I'm not really enjoying his run on Jeopardy!

I'd much rather see regular contestants play. I'd also rather see tournaments limited to one in the fall and one in the spring, and the Tournament of Champions held whenever they legitimately have 15 champions.

Who knew the Harry Friedman era was actually a really strong era for the show? Not that much was broken when he retired..

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 06:18:59 PM »
You could go with the "recycled questions" route from the 2007 strike, but now there's a website, j-archive.com, that lists close to 500,000 clues the show has used over the years.
I need someone to explain this to me. Was there no outcry about this because back then Facebook and Twitter were still in diapers? I keep seeing it brought up that this would basically be what they did in '07. Even Ken Jennings cited an article stating as much in a reply to someone on Twitter.

Meanwhile, Wikipedia words it as "...by contrast, Sony Pictures' Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune, and Disney's Who Wants to Be a Millionaire had their quiz questions researched and written by WGA writers under deals with their producers." Which leads me to believe some alternate agreement was made specifically with the studio in order for the show to operate. But that's Wikipedia, of course and I could just be reading it wrong.

Which is it? Was there a side agreement to allow WGA work on Jeopardy or did Jeopardy reuse clues and no one cared because we didn't have the megaphone of social media to amplify our criticisms?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Bob Zager

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 01:22:59 PM »
Although I'm going a bit off-topic, I'm sticking with the J!'s 40th season.  I've heard there are no set changes taking place this year, however I wondered if, like with WOF's new puzzle board introduced last year at this time, if fans like the same idea for J! in the future.  Maybe something like this picture from the UK/Australian version would be of help:

https://twitter.com/buzzerblog/status/1699382346233901217/photo/1

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 01:31:16 PM »
I've heard there are no set changes taking place this year, however I wondered if, like with WOF's new puzzle board introduced last year at this time, if fans like the same idea for J! in the future.  Maybe something like this picture from the UK/Australian version would be of help:

https://twitter.com/buzzerblog/status/1699382346233901217/photo/1

I for one think that's gorgeous, and an idea that's sorely overdue. This would give them the ability to use the entire board to display individual clues, which would be particularly useful with video clues.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 02:00:07 PM »
I haven’t peeled at r/Jeopardy, but I assume the wailing about having to pay for travel to appear on a game show will become a topic again once the $2,000 third place prize is deemed insufficient.
Travis L. Eberle

nowhammies10

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 02:50:52 PM »
I for one think that's gorgeous, and an idea that's sorely overdue. This would give them the ability to use the entire board to display individual clues, which would be particularly useful with video clues.

They actually did try this for the 2007 season (the one prior to the big overhaul to the more-or-less current set) on the main show, replacing the bank of TV monitors with a rear-projection screen like their travelling sets and Rock & Roll J!. 15+ years later the technology has marched on to where they might be able to do what you've suggested.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 02:24:38 PM »
This is all speculation, but I suspect the reason Jeopardy! has been slow to implement one giant screen has been for the following reason. (And I hope that the UK/Australian version was able to avoid the problem.)

I'll be referring to this YouTube video Wheel of Fortune posted about its new puzzle board.

Giant video displays are currently made by assembling individual squares of 3-color LED arrays into whatever shape is desired (as seen at 0:25). Here's a representative picture of an individual square -- I understand that you can also get tiles in which the LEDs are grouped more tightly together. Just like a computer monitor, the more LEDs/pixels there are, the higher the resolution. (In reading the description of the LED panel I linked to, it appears that it isn't a one-to-one ratio. I don't know the specific technical details of LED screen resolution.)

LED panels look great from a distance -- the giant screen in the back of the TPIR audience has been made up of this type of LED panel for well over a decade. However, if the camera zooms in too close, then you get a moiré effect where it appears that the screen is producing an uncontrollable, moving, fine-lined wave pattern. Every once in a great while, on the current Let's Make a Deal, the camera will zoom in too close to an in-studio contestant seated directly in front of a screen displaying the at-home contestants, and you can see the beginning of the effect start to occur.

The best solution, then, is to never zoom too close to the giant LED screen. On shows that occasionally need to zoom in that close (for example, the screens behind the celebrities on Nashville Squares were made of this type of LED panel), a large piece of translucent plastic can be placed over the LED panels. This diffuses the light and prevents moiré, but the tradeoff is that you lose crisp, sharp edges in the graphics. It's clear that that's what Wheel of Fortune has done because the show anticipated taking close-ups of Vanna at the board and/or because they needed a flat surface for touchscreen purposes. Even with the plastic overlay, things start to get pixel-y if you zoom in too close (as can be seen at 0:30).

Again, this isn't an issue if you intend to display large pictures or giant letters. However, the primary function of the Jeopardy! board is to display five rows of clues, each in a relatively small type size. If the LED technology is too primitive, then the text would appear either jagged along the edges (if the LED resolution is too low) or blurry (if a plastic overlay diffuses the light too much). And that would be a big problem when the contestants need to easily read the text in order to play the game.

If the UK/Australian version has gone with one giant LED screen, then I hope that means the technology has caught up to the point where those are no longer problems. The letters of the little Wheel of Fortune logos on the current puzzle board are roughly the height of one line of Jeopardy! clue text, and those look adequate. Some of the thinner lines aren't reading quite right, but that may be a result of a low-quality logo graphic rather than the fault of the LEDs. But I assume that's why Jeopardy! hasn't installed one giant LED screen up to this point.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 04:11:19 PM »
Thanks, Scott. That was an excellent read. I learned something.

Hastin

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 04:21:34 PM »
Great discussion, Scott. I think the only thing missing would be the decision of how to display the clues in the studio.

Even in 2007, when they tried the rear-projected screen, they were *very occasionally* shooting the clue board for clues (I assume as a backup if the computer wasn't ready or an issue), but it seems now all clues are presented digitally. The host never stands at the board anymore (Alex still did in 2007, that stopped in 2011 after his attack in the Bay Area - and never came back). It's basically been 12 years since we've had a close-up on the game board as a standard part of gameplay.

Couldn't they just present the clue full-screen for the contestants in the studio, ensuring they all could see it and then they wouldn't have to worry about the resolution of the LED screen?
-Hastin :)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 05:05:01 PM »
Couldn't they just present the clue full-screen for the contestants in the studio, ensuring they all could see it and then they wouldn't have to worry about the resolution of the LED screen?

That would affect the directing of the show and/or the cadence of how the players see it. The clue flying animation covers the practical reveal of the clue in the studio. If they want to maintain that animation (as it reminds viewers where the clue is "coming from") they'd have to wait a beat for that move to finish before turning over the board to the full-screen clue. In those instances when you take the clue full screen with no animation, it wouldn't so much matter.

Having the clue come up solely in the spot it's selected reminds players of what it's worth, and what category it's in. This is something I didn't really take into account until I played games without the full board.

You could change the fundamental design of lots of elements to accommodate this (i.e. displaying the category & amount in the corner, like the PC games), but it starts to beg a question of whether or not it's worth it.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

trainman

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 11:48:02 PM »
You could change the fundamental design of lots of elements to accommodate this (i.e. displaying the category & amount in the corner, like the PC games), but it starts to beg a question of whether or not it's worth it.

Apparently a decent number of viewers have asked for this, and I believe on the "Jeopardy!" podcast, Michael Davies has at least paid lip service to looking into it.
trainman is a man of trains

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2023, 12:46:39 AM »
Apparently a decent number of viewers have asked for this, and I believe on the "Jeopardy!" podcast, Michael Davies has at least paid lip service to looking into it.

I have seen that. Recently, a writer in scripted TV complained of network notes that allow the viewer to "lean back" (as in, sink further into their phone, half watching the show) instead of encouraging them to "lean forward" and pay attention. And while I know a bit of extra text wouldn't kill the show (a'la Wheel's letter-in-the-corner thing), I have to admit I'd be disappointed if they went this way. Every last element doesn't have to be spoon fed, IMO. The only time you lack complete context on the category is when the players choose 2 clues in a row from the same one, since they skip the main board shot in that scenario. With the way people pick now, that happens less and less.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck