Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Three on a Match - The Big Match question  (Read 2602 times)

jmangin

Three on a Match - The Big Match question
« on: July 27, 2023, 10:40:30 PM »
When they played the Big Match each day for the cash jackpot, were the two bill halves ever in the same column? My guess would be "no", but I was wondering if anyone else had seen this occur.

Also, the bill halves are clearly a right and a left half. If you found the left half in the $30 column, would it be fair to assume the right half was in the $40 column?

Two silly questions, but they're something that piqued my interest and I thought someone might know. Thanks!

Matt Ottinger

Re: Three on a Match - The Big Match question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 09:51:27 AM »
When they played the Big Match each day for the cash jackpot, were the two bill halves ever in the same column? My guess would be "no", but I was wondering if anyone else had seen this occur.

Also, the bill halves are clearly a right and a left half. If you found the left half in the $30 column, would it be fair to assume the right half was in the $40 column?

There is video evidence that the answer to your second question is "no".  In one of the few episodes that survives, the right half is in the $20 column and the left half is in the $30 column.

As for your first question,  I don't remember any videos we have that disprove your assumption, but I think we're in speculative territory.  My guess is that both halves COULD be in the same column, for much the same reason that they could be in reverse order.  But it's just a guess.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 12:08:07 PM »
My guess is that both halves COULD be in the same column, for much the same reason that they could be in reverse order.  But it's just a guess.
I would bet on different columns being an "unwritten rule" but I wouldn't put anything past Bob Stewart when it comes to giving out money.
This signature is currently under construction.

KrisW73

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 12:19:51 PM »
My guess is that both halves COULD be in the same column, for much the same reason that they could be in reverse order.  But it's just a guess.
I would bet on different columns being an "unwritten rule" but I wouldn't put anything past Bob Stewart when it comes to giving out money.

I'm sure if the show was overbudget that was one way to lessen the chance of the Big Match being hit.